Favorite Oil in Sky Active 2.5L engine ?

Those are the ones I get. In all respects they look very good and are well built. Efficiency is unknown but I trust that they do the job well.
Then they'll be 65mm 14 flute (original Tokyo Roki filter was 66m 14 flute). Couldn't fit my cup wrench on it. If they're made by Denso, probably they're fine...

Then they'll be 65mm 14 flute (original Tokyo Roki filter was 66m 14 flute). Couldn't fit my cup wrench on it. If they're made by Denso, probably they're fine...

I have speculated that the Thailand factory is a joint venture between Denso and Roki. But that is speculation and I haven’t seen anything to confirm it.

My gut feeling is that Mazda will be moving to Denso since they have plants near MTMUS.

I have run both Castrol Edge and Valvoline EP in our CX-5, I like the Valvoline for the extra shot of moly.

Have a 2021 CX-5 here non-turbo. Fantastic vehicle. Punches above it's weight bigtime. With that being said...

It's the girlfriends vehicle. She drives a LOT to work, prob 400 or so miles a week so we're on the 5th OCI. Factory fill I ran up to 5000 miles, then the dealer comped a free one with the Idemitsu OEM Mazda Moly 0W-20. After that it was on two OCI's of Kirkland 0W-20. Now it has the new Havoline PRO-RS in it.

All OCI's used the Mazda OEM 1WPE-14-302 filter, and that's the only filter that will ever get screwed on that engine. Whip City Wrencher on Youtube cut a new one open. It's built very well, is just different enough to justify OEM vs parts store filters and only $6 when ordered online.

I daily a Civic Type-R and that CX-5 is a great car, excellent engine and really solid trans for an automatic - I'm a stick die hard...

Mazda has two filters available for current models. One is 'spec'd' for the NA engines,
the other is for the Turbo engine. Both look identical.
I went oversize with a XG 7137.

My 2¢

No kidding. I don’t know what it is about Mazda owners but they’ve GOT to get over it.
It was a shocker for me tbh. I've owned nothing but Honda's and Acura's from the mid 80's model years to current. I was eviscerated on a mazda forum after she got the CX-5 for even considering aftermarket. In the end, the oem one was cost effective & good quality. The only pain with them is the closest Mazda dealership is an hour away for me, so I buy a few at at time or order them online.

I'll get over it when Mazda releases an official bulletin approving certain aftermarket oil filters for their vehicles. I'd love to run a Mobil 1 #108 or the slightly longer #110, or the Fram Ultra. Those filters are so good that I would only change them every 10,000 miles, while changing the oil every 5000 miles.

But until that day I'd rather not take a chance and the OEM filters are excellent and not expensive nor hard to source.

I'll get over it when Mazda releases an official bulletin approving certain aftermarket oil filters for their vehicles. I'd love to run a Mobil 1 #108 or the slightly longer #110, or the Fram Ultra. Those filters are so good that I would only change them every 10,000 miles, while changing the oil every 5000 miles.

But until that day I'd rather not take a chance and the OEM filters are excellent and not expensive nor hard to source.
I have used M1-108 and XG6607 plenty of times on 2.5 turbo. No issues.

I have used M1-108 and XG6607 plenty of times on 2.5 turbo. No issues.
Well they have them available at my dealer. But its a mystery I can't seem to find the efficiency of their filters at 20 microns? I can on the Fram's that purchased. 99+% at 20 microns TG and XG66707.

Well they have them available at my dealer. But its a mystery I can't seem to find the efficiency of their filters at 20 microns? I can on the Fram's that purchased. 99+% at 20 microns TG and XG66707.
Single pass may not catch with cellulose media but eventually the particles will be captured IMO. Synthetic media is great, but needs a metal screen to keep the media from breaking apart.

I'll get over it when Mazda releases an official bulletin approving certain aftermarket oil filters for their vehicles.

But until that day I'd rather not take a chance…
Why would Mazda need to release a bulletin approving aftermarket filters? No manufacturer has ever, to my knowledge, done so.

Rather not take a chance on what?

Single pass may not catch with cellulose media but eventually the particles will be captured IMO. Synthetic media is great, but needs a metal screen to keep the media from breaking apart.
I've used some Synthetic filter on my old Toyota that didn't have screen backing I cut my filter I have found one of them with an issue. I guess I'll know 18 months from now for sure! I've also used the Bosch Premium and they are Cellulose rated and 99 plus percent at 20 microns they seemed to work fine but I never used one of the Bosch's more than 6 months.

The issue that Mazda owners have regarding using aftermarket filters seems to be a lack of valid data. And it is probably fueled by the internet.

The filter on the 2.5L turbo engine is horizontally mounted. Does it have an ADBV or not ? Do aftermarket filters have an ADBV or not ?
Is there some kind of specification regarding how the ADBV's work, as in how much oil pressure is necessary before they open ?

Lacking any kind of technical evaluation by a lab or someone trusted (not Scotty Kilmer) that would evaluate the factory filters vs. aftermarket and publish their findings and expert opinions, I'd rather not take a chance that aftermarket filters, as good as they are at filtering the oil, don't operate the way the Mazda engineers have designed the factory filters for the specific application to the 2.5L Skyactive engine.

DENSO made in Thailand is ONE of the three oil filters that almost ruined my Toyota and Suzuki engines

Thai Denso, China NISSAN and ... I won't mention the third.

Proved BAD filters. I hope Denso got their Thai act together 15 years hence.

The reason I am on BITOG. Not that that helped. I just got chided for blaming shiny Asian parts as culprits :)

I've used some Synthetic filter on my old Toyota that didn't have screen backing I cut my filter I have found one of them with an issue. I guess I'll know 18 months from now for sure! I've also used the Bosch Premium and they are Cellulose rated and 99 plus percent at 20 microns they seemed to work fine but I never used one of the Bosch's more than 6 months.
Sure… My NC Miata got the most efficient lowest micron aftermarket oil filter I could find. The ND Miata (Skyactiv) had service bulletins that specifically called for one spec OEM filter. Many will fit and also are non ADBV but the service bulletin was very specific. And they only discussed the Mazda filters in the Service Bulletins.

The issue that Mazda owners have regarding using aftermarket filters seems to be a lack of valid data. And it is probably fueled by the internet.

The filter on the 2.5L turbo engine is horizontally mounted. Does it have an ADBV or not ? Do aftermarket filters have an ADBV or not ?
Is there some kind of specification regarding how the ADBV's work, as in how much oil pressure is necessary before they open ?

Lacking any kind of technical evaluation by a lab or someone trusted (not Scotty Kilmer) that would evaluate the factory filters vs. aftermarket and publish their findings and expert opinions, I'd rather not take a chance that aftermarket filters, as good as they are at filtering the oil, don't operate the way the Mazda engineers have designed the factory filters for the specific application to the 2.5L Skyactive engine.

The filter is vertically mounted on the 2.5 turbo. Dome end at bottom, base plate at top.

I tried to get OEM Tokyo Roki 66mm/14 flute filters for my Mazda, but the source simply dried-up. Wish I had a contact in Japan... Surely Roki in Japan doesn't supply OEMs only... but also the Japanese market too?

I tried to get OEM Tokyo Roki 66mm/14 flute filters for my Mazda, but the source simply dried-up. Wish I had a contact in Japan... Surely Roki in Japan doesn't supply OEMs only... but also the Japanese market too?

My understanding is that they supply the Japanese domestic market. Everywhere else is supplied by the Thailand filters. There is also the Mexican value filter but I’m not sure that is Roki.

Back