Favorite, most useful tools in your box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Among the thousands of dollars in tools which I've purchased over the years that live in my tool box, ive compiled a top 5 of my favorite, most useful tools that I've accumulated. Wonder what everyone's top tools are...

5. Remote hose clamp tool - fighting for hard to reach clamps is a breeze with my remote locking hose clamp pliers. These things save so much time and busted knuckles.
4. 3/8 Cordless impact - I use this everywhere. So much easier to get to bolts and other things without having to drag an air hose around.
3. No spill coolant funnel - Anyone that ever does cooling system work should own one.
2. 3M hub resurface tool - Makes easy work of cleaning up hubs and rotors while doing brake work.
1. Gear Wrenches - By far my favorite tool. Such a simple idea that seemed to take so long for someone to create and perfect. I use my gear wrenches on everything. They save so much time that it's not even funny.

So that's my list. What's yours???

I guess it depends on what tool box, and what business your in
Hobby
Business
Electronics
Gun box
General

I guess the overall census would have to be a DMM, I have many but I always rely on my 10+ year old FLUKE 77/73,at work its hands down my GW GDS-820C.

X2 on the Gear Wrenches. Many times I've had a nut or bolt that was too close to something to use a socket, but took a long time with a combination wrench.

Telescoping magnetic pickup tool. You have no idea how many times that's helped me retrieve a lost nut, bolt, or socket from some tight spot.

Long 1/2" drive breaker bar and deep well 6 point sockets. For those really stubborn nuts and bolts.

Craftsman Bolt-out sockets. For rounded off bolt heads and nuts.

Automatic wire stripper. First time I ever used one, I knew I had to get one.

Johnny,

I'm interested in how the 3M hub resurface tool is better than a cup wire brush.

Obviously a 7 in one screwdriver, a 3/8" ratchet, a pliers, zip ties (or Duct tape) and a tape measure fix 98% of things.

Most non-obviously useful are:

-Kreg Pocket hole jig
-4 foot section of cast iron pipe
-99 cent plastic "veneer gauge" or poor man's micrometer
-a good wire stripper instead of ruining a scissors and/or diagonal cutting pliers
-I probably accomplish nothing useful but seem to spend a lot of time with a Dremel rotary tool.

+1 on the remote hose clamp tool. Absolutely indispensable.

I think we're talking cars here, and looking for something more than a fundamental screwdriver. ;-)

Mine would be

Gearwrenches
12" long needle nose pliers
20+yr old snap-on ratcheting screwdriver
craftsman 3/8" extensions with locking release
craftsman 3/8" fine tooth ratchet. (it's 30yrs old, only fine tooth they made at the time).

I like what the guy in Gran Torino said to the boy.
All you need is a pair of vice grips, duct tape and WD-40.

Cheap Husky stubby wrenches. I got some on a post-xmas clearance and they're the tool to grab when "not 100% serious". They leave my main-line ones clean and organized. Also use them for brake lines when "working wet".

Flex-handle fine-tooth ratchet from the Lowes lawnmower section. Just the right length/leverage for brake caliper bolts without bonking the other end on the fender liner.

One-piece 2 lb hand sledge.

2 "AA" 150 lumen LED flashlight w/ aluminum body

magnetic pickup telescoping doohickey

Three-ton service jack (not in box).

All are fairly recent acquisitions, save the hammer, and all do something I could have kludged before but save me a slight amount of time or contortion. In the spirit of this thread, I smile every time I select something that gives me this bonus feeling.

Originally Posted By: EricF

I like what the guy in Gran Torino said to the boy.
All you need is a pair of vice grips, duct tape and WD-40.

Brilliant movie by The way.

Here vi have a saying..using duct tape is like alcohol and violence. If it doesent work you haven't used enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Ruger 9mm.

The GLOCK stays on my person....not in a box !

Mac brand sockets. They remove damaged bolts that regular sockets can't.
LED underhood lightsaber. I can see everything, I don't risk breaking any glass bulbs, and it uses a rechargeable battery.
Knipex plierwrench
Large hammer
Large prybar

Dead blow hammer
3/8 cordless impact
Irwin rounded nut/bold removers
Ratcheting wrenches
Plastic panel clip removal pliers
20 degree offset needle nose pliers
Cordless soldering iron
Telescopic magnetic pick up tools

Not in the box but i wouldn't be without them.
Oxy Acetylene Torch
Mig welder

Adding to my list would be my

5lb hammer
Torches (Michigan cars are awesome)
Multi meter
Impact swivel sockets

And I would die without my 18v Li Makita drill

Last edited:
Long arm swivel head 3/8" ratchet.
Really long breaker bar.
Fluke 77 meter.
Needle nose pliers.

I'm going to have to get one of those cable operated hose clamp removal tools.

My Matco ratcheting screwdriver (ODRPSG1) has really been impressing me lately. It is able to turn at 3:1 which really speeds up work.
odrpsg1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back