Is there a market for a used tool box? w/Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Build a 4' x 8' workbench for the backyard; that's what I did.

That Husky box probably has 20 gauge steel in it; you can bend that stuff with your fingers.

Pull one drawer all the way out and push on that steel all the way in the back of the drawer. If it bends by just pushing on it with your thumb, it's either 20 or 22 gauge.

Thanks. I checked the Husky boxes at HD, they might work OK but I was not super impressed with their quality either. I do like the new Milwaukee boxes at HD. Their build quality is much better than Husky. The Milwaukee box is the only one that the steel did not flex and the box itself did not move around when I opened and closed the drawers in the store. The soft close feature is cool and they are very well laid out. I have decided on their 60 inch work bench model. It is super solid and heavy, built like a tank, has a ton of storage, has great reviews online and is exactly what I need:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-60-...-8560/206696096

Garage Journal likes the Milwaukee boxes a lot too. Made in Viet Nam, not China, and you can just tell it is a much better built box. It will be a while yet before I buy it, we are moving in to our new house today and it will be a few weeks before I will have free time to set up my work area. I have researched further and Craigs List will probably be OK to sell my old Craftsman box. If no one wants it I will donate it to a local school or charity thrift store. We have a couple of good ones here.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Look at Kennedy for a real box.

I don't think they have bearings in the drawer slides.

Kennedy is nice but is out of my price range and not what I need either. I just need a good homeowner type box with a good work surface so I can save room in my new garage to be able to park both cars inside and still have room for my lawnmower and car care stuff. I think I will just need a garage cabinet to store my jack stands, car wash, rags, buckets, etc and any oil or filters I may stash.

IMO, that looks like too nice a chest to firesale on Craigslist.

I'd consider keeping the bottom that you have and fashion a top for it to make a bench. You could also lengthen the bench and put the top chest underneath of it on a couple of concrete blocks for additional storage.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I don't think they have bearings in the drawer slides.

Where have you been the last 20 years ? Gee...
shocked2.gif

I am certain they don't.

If you're a machinist and have light tools, I can't see it being an issue though.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Look at Kennedy for a real box.

Some of the avionics guys at my aircraft maint. facility have Kennedy boxes. The ones I've seen are more for lightweight tools.

This is sort of a sore subject with me. I was a professional diesel mechanic and every couple of years, stepped up to bigger and bigger tool boxes. The Snap on man always gave me awesome trade in credit on my old boxes because I always bought nice ones and kept them perfect.
When I left the family business to do what I do now, I came to terms that I didn't really NEED all of that box. I tried to sell it (an 85th anniversary Snap on KRL series box that was like 9000 dollars) and the Snap on guy offered me like 1500 bucks. Since I wasn't getting a bigger one he had no use for me any more.
I was pretty bent to say the least. I still have it and I am currently in the process of searching for a house with an awesome garage so I can take my tools out of storage and begin enjoying them on some project builds again. In the end, I'm kinda glad to still have it.

Good for you. My Kennedy 3 part box set is older than my sons - and I have grandsons ...
That set would be north of $1500 today - with not a tool inside (mine is stuffed)

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
This is sort of a sore subject with me. I was a professional diesel mechanic and every couple of years, stepped up to bigger and bigger tool boxes. The Snap on man always gave me awesome trade in credit on my old boxes because I always bought nice ones and kept them perfect.
When I left the family business to do what I do now, I came to terms that I didn't really NEED all of that box. I tried to sell it (an 85th anniversary Snap on KRL series box that was like 9000 dollars) and the Snap on guy offered me like 1500 bucks. Since I wasn't getting a bigger one he had no use for me any more.
I was pretty bent to say the least. I still have it and I am currently in the process of searching for a house with an awesome garage so I can take my tools out of storage and begin enjoying them on some project builds again. In the end, I'm kinda glad to still have it.

I'm trying to find a job out the industry myself and one of my hang ups is what to do with my Matco 6S triple bank with side locker. It's 8 feet long with the locker. I had an older Matco triple bank and one of the spot welds separated and they replaced the box under warranty. So it's about a year old. It's a $13,000 toolbox including the SS top. The locker was another $1500. I doubt I'll get anywhere near that out of it.

Originally Posted By: DP78

I'm trying to find a job out the industry myself and one of my hang ups is what to do with my Matco 6S triple bank with side locker. It's 8 feet long with the locker. I had an older Matco triple bank and one of the spot welds separated and they replaced the box under warranty. So it's about a year old. It's a $13,000 toolbox including the SS top. The locker was another $1500. I doubt I'll get anywhere near that out of it.

Mine will become my son's when I'm done with it. Not any time soon, mind you, he's 11 and I'm 50 but I'd certainly rather see him get it than sell it to someone for a fraction of what I have in it.

I wound up keeping my Craftsman box. I took more measurements and figured the best use of the space I have and found the Milwaukee box was too big for what I need. Now I am using an old small wooden table which is about 23" square with a shelf underneath as a work surface. It fit very well next to my box and still allowed room to store my floor jack. I think it will do just fine. I went through my tools, pulled out the ones I just do not need now and boxed them up in a small closet in the garage. I know where they are if I ever do need them again.

I also took everything out of my box, cleaned the drawer liners, blew out and vacuumed 10 years of dust and re-organized all of the drawers. I lubricated the slides and wiped down the outside of the box and now it is like a brand new box. I bought a plastic garage cabinet which actually is working out very well. I set it all up so I can get my mower in and out of the side door without having to move my car and the great thing is both cars fit in the garage. I am very happy with the way it all turned out, also very glad I did not dump $750.00 on a new box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back