Favorite Cut Of Steak And How You Prepare It

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll eat anything, but I can't find some lean looking ribeyes, I'll get some New York strips. The flat irons from Kroger in the black wrapping are pretty dang good too. Very lean and no bone. Used to be a t bone guy, but I am just not a fan of buying bone. They'd be my last resort.

Room temperature. Charcoal @ 500*F. 3.5 mins per side. Coarse sea salt and ground pepper.

Rib eye over charcoal to med-rare with a light sprinkle of montreal steak spice rubbed into each side. The fat crisps up so nice and gets some smoke into it as well...
If I'm lazy and just want to eat alot of beef on the cheap, I'll get a roast cut like top sirloin, or a round roast and cut it up myself into steaks, then rub in some S&P or steak spice and cook it in an iron frying pan prepared with browned butter starting to smoke.
I find feedlot beef is almost going like pork, with less and less flavor, but also getting less tough as well. So the cheaper roast cuts still have good beefy flavor and can be cut into steaks and cooked med-rare without being tough.
The best piece of meat I have ever eaten was rib eye steaks from our pastured tamworth pig, on the bbq with some apple wood mixed into the charcoal... It had a bit of beef flavor from all the grass it ate so it was almost like a pork-beef hybrid...

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I like a lean steak usually a New York strip or Sirloin medium rare.

Me too.

Ill gladly eat a ribeye or filet, or really any cut. But I prefer a rare to medium rare sirloin nicely seasoned.

I also like the cuts at a Brazilian steakhouse.

Bone-in Ribeye, medium rare. I like to salt for a couple hours to draw out some liquid, then grill. Or sous vide then grill on high heat quickly.

Sous vide cooker. If you aren't aware of what they are, it is basically a super accurate heated water pump that circulates water to within half a degree of what you set it at. You put your meat in a plastic bag or a vacuum sealed bag and put it in the water using a stew pot or something to hold the water. The moisture inside can't escape, it is impossible to overcook it even if you leave it in there 4 hours as long as you don't have the temp set super high. 140F cooks it to about the medium level. It is the same done-ness all the way through and you don't get those brown cooked strips on the outside and pink on the inside, it is even all the way through. I had some pork ribs last week that I left in for 24 hours and they just continued to get more tender. I don't remember what temp they were on, though.

Ribeye with a good marble cast iron(as hot as you can get it) with kosher salt and pepper.

I just plungged into Sous Vide and got a butane torch , should be here Wed cant wait.

Last edited:
And the ribeye widens it’s lead heading down the straightaway …
med rare please … S&P only … Quick pan sear with REAL olive oil and then use mesquite chunks over coal … flame kissed for carbonese character

USDA Prime well marbled ribeye, light oil slather, simple rub, cooked over 100% hardwood charcoal with some mesquite for added smoke flavor, to right at the borderline between medium rare & medium.

Originally Posted By: 137_Trenton
I'm not a big fan of beef, so my favorite is a pork butt steak. Marinated and grilled over wood
grin.gif

Our local churches, FD's, PD's, school fund raisers, etc., have dinner plates for sale all the time. A lot of them include a pork steak. And, let me tell you, everyone one of them must know one another that prepare the dinners. These pork steaks are HUGE! And, they grill them. A HUGE, meaty, grilled pork steak is so delicious.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I like a lean steak usually a New York strip or Sirloin medium rare.

Me too.

Ill gladly eat a ribeye or filet, or really any cut. But I prefer a rare to medium rare sirloin nicely seasoned.

I also like the cuts at a Brazilian steakhouse.

I have never heard of a Brazilian steakhouse. Is there a chain of them, or just a local thing?

Ribeye medium rare, grilled by me with a little soy sauce and seasoning salt while grilling. No marinating.

And a cold adult beverage or two while preparing

Scotch fillet, medium rare, in a cast iron fry pan with a sprinkling of salt on the pan instead of grease.
Deglaze the pan with Brandy, add butter, a little garlic, and a small tin of peppercorns, crushing half of them. Add a half pint of cream, and reduce to a sauce. Add a little truffle salt if you have it (or truffle).
Sauce goes over the meat, and if you've got mash, over that and the peas as well.

I don't have the gear at present, but steak Florentine with a cast iron hibachi, and a vacuum cleaner set to "blow", white hot coals, with a thick T-Bone, 3 minutes one side, 2 minutes the other. salt, pepper, and olive oil on alfoil, drop steak on, salt pepper and olive oil on the steak, and wrap the foil over. Let stand for at least 10 minutes.

The former is once a month or so in the kitchen...the latter I haven't the gear, but on the grill is a passable substitute.

(Am interested in Genghis Khan's Steak Tartar...but only for curiosity sake, not to eat)

Porterhouse because you get two different pieces of meat with that cut
The larger part is really tasty and flavorful
The smaller part is tenderloin and is not tough but not as flavorful
Only season with some salt, black pepper a drizzle of oil
Cook on charcoal fire until medium. Of course the cooking is a little tricky as the tenderloin does not need as much heat so you have to keep the tenderloin away from the most direct heat/flames
In other words, I put the tenderloin part away from the flames and heat and toward the outside of the grill coals

ribeye. Medium rare... just enough to cook the fat (additional flavor).

Nothing fancy... salt & pepper and a good sear on both sides. Maybe finished with some herb compound butter

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
ribeye. Medium rare... just enough to cook the fat (additional flavor).

Nothing fancy... salt & pepper and a good sear on both sides. Maybe finished with some herb compound butter

What is "COMPOUND" butter?
21.gif

I have seen a few members mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back