Fastest temperature drop I've ever witnessed

I really can't complain about living here. Whenever I think of moving I think about how nice the weather is here compared to most other places in the US. That and I would be leaving all my friends, and I hate putting the effort into making new friends.
You can never move, Ed. You live an a spectacularly gorgeous area, a truly world class location.

Scott

It's suppose to hit around 3-4am by me. 2-4 degrees below zero with wind chills in the negative 20-30 degree range.
Started at 30° this morning with 2" of snow, overnight tonight around 50° as temps have risen throughout the day with a bunch of rain. By tomorrow night it will be in around ~5°, hopefully that 40° drop is smoothly. Prediction is low 40s around 9:00am then drop to low teens by 4-5pm.

Talked to my kid in Hawaii said his low was 62° and had a high of 81° which that will continue all weekend.

Not going to let my programmable thermostat set the heat pump back tonight because it'll be fighting a losing battle warming the house up tomorrow with the outdoor temp dropping throughout the morning. (I have aux heat disabled. If I had it enabled, it would easily warm the house back up under those conditions, and waste a lot of energy doing it...the point of setting it back is to save energy..but conditions won't allow that).

Not going to let my programmable thermostat set the heat pump back tonight because it'll be fighting a losing battle warming the house up tomorrow with the outdoor temp dropping throughout the morning. (I have aux heat disabled. If I had it enabled, it would easily warm the house back up under those conditions, and waste a lot of energy doing it...the point of setting it back is to save energy..but conditions won't allow that).
Mine seems to figure it out on it's own, but it is interesting which rooms heat more quickly now.

I really can't complain about living here. Whenever I think of moving I think about how nice the weather is here compared to most other places in the US. That and I would be leaving all my friends, and I hate putting the effort into making new friends.
You live in a great place, I very much enjoyed the time I spent in Santa Barbara. Never long enough when you are on holiday.

Attachments

• 42D1F596-92EF-462F-A5C7-B0E3CD9C56A9.jpg
    42D1F596-92EF-462F-A5C7-B0E3CD9C56A9.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 8
This morning it went from 42F at 4:15 am to 20F at 5:07 am. Already down to 15 here
Windchill is -39F right now here, temp -11F.

Last time I remember temps or WC this cold where I live was the Blizzard of ‘94, WC was like -75F at the south end of Lake Michigan…

Attachments

• 5827DFC8-6EA7-4AD0-9D99-2B390A50BE3D.jpeg
    5827DFC8-6EA7-4AD0-9D99-2B390A50BE3D.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 2
Walking into a Tops supermarket downtown to get stuff to hunker down til Christmas with at 7:00am and it was light rain and 37F. Came out at 9 and it was 22F and a blinding whiteout. The winds are gusting up to 65mph and are literally shattering snowflakes and turning it into a snow dust...

Last edited:
They're saying Lake Erie will go down 7' on the western shore near Cleveland and will rise 7' on the eastern shore near Buffalo with mandatory evacuations along beach areas...

They're saying Lake Erie will go down 7' on the western shore near Cleveland and will rise 7' on the eastern shore near Buffalo with mandatory evacuations along beach areas...
Curious about what causes that? Maybe ice flows blown up on the eastern shoreline. It can’t be just the wind or can it?

Curious about what causes that? Maybe ice flows blown up on the eastern shoreline. It can’t be just the wind or can it?
Massive hurricane force winds blowing to nearly 70mph. One to three feet of snow possible but we'll have little idea how much we actually get because the wind is just blowing it sideways...

No commercial truck traffic on the I90 from PA border to Rochester exits, most everything else is now closed with a (Erie) county wide driving ban...

Yep, went from the low-mid 30s to -7F in STL.

We are creeping up to 0F, and I can hear the wind blowing outside.

oilBabe made it to Phoenix with her mom yesterday. Temps were from the 40s to 60s. Sedona is their destination today.

Back