Fastest temperature drop I've ever witnessed

We were sitting at a store in Fort Collins today and I glanced at the outside air temperature on the dash. The gauge said 48°F, about a minute later we pulled out of the parking lot and drove two miles north, which took about seven minutes. When we got to our destination seven minutes later, the outside temperature was 16°F. That's a 32°F drop in 7 minutes. I've never seen a temperature drop that quick. Amazing.

This is a screenshot of the temperature gradient from Ventusky.
Starting to drop down this way too. Not quite as cold as up your way yet but its starting. Snowing a little bit as well, still wondering how much we will end up with. Right now they are saying anywhere from 2-8" but its still a toss up as far as I can tell.

Wow that is a HUGE delta!

Here we live in an odd wind protected spot at the base of a small mountain (Sumas Mountain). The other day (Sunday I think) we had a large drop with absolutely no detected wind movement. That is a weird feeling. I mean it was not huge, just odd. The temp was around 40°F and in just about an hour was 20°F with no wind or breeze or air movement a human could feel. Just somewhat comfortable to darn cold.

Yeah, I was reading about Springs and Denver temperature crash. Pretty cool.

Locally we've gone from a 20"-24" super blizzard to 1"-3" windy day. Love them computer models!

We’re at -8*, feels like -45*. It was fun taking the little one to daycare this morning.

"The Whirlwind's on my shoulders; But what am I to do?" The Front just came thru Big D.

Last edited:
When we lived in Colorado Springs, CO in 2000 - 2002 Sue and I had bought a brand new home. I was doing landscaping on a hot sunny day. It was one of those get sunburned, "all day sweat" kind of days.

Just as I was finishing up for the day at about 5PM a wall, literally a wall, of cold wind blew over the area. An hour later it was snowing. It was at this point I realized this Cali boy was going to have troubles in CO.

Scott

Yes. Even down here in NC we are supposed to see temps drop quickly during the day on Friday. I HATE COLD WEATHER!
Yeah, Im near the state Capital in SC (20 min out) Friday Night forecasting a low of 14f degrees.
My son, closer to the Foothills up near BMW forecast to 10f
Of the 16 years we lived here IF the forecast is correct it could be among the lowest lows we have seen. The lowest in 16 years was around 11 degrees.
It's still early in the season too and in SC that doesnt mean much, heck, we have had 60 degree Christmas's and New Years but it wont be this Christmas that is for sure. Yet, it still could be for New Years.

Mother is in WNC. I hope we all don't get too much ice. Ice and white pine = no power.

Yeah, Im near the state Capital in SC (20 min out) Friday Night forecasting a low of 14f degrees.
My son, closer to the Foothills up near BMW forecast to 10f
Of the 16 years we lived here IF the forecast is correct it could be among the lowest lows we have seen. The lowest in 16 years was around 11 degrees.
It's still early in the season too and in SC that doesnt mean much, heck, we have had 60 degree Christmas's and New Years but it wont be this Christmas that is for sure. Yet, it still could be for New Years.

Mother is in WNC. I hope we all don't get too much ice. Ice and white pine = no power.
Beautiful area but I can certainly see the concern in the winter for sure, could be downright dangerous.
We almost every year ride our bike, now our Road King 2up from Columbia SC to Maggie Valley and the entire area up there, depending on the year, Asheville, Chimney Rock, RT 120 Devils Tail, Henderson, Cashiers and ALL the waterfalls one of them you walk under, Pisgah National Forest and Looking Glass falls, onto Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg.
(we actually traded our Yamaha for the brand new at the time 14 Road King in Pigeon Forge, pulled out of the dealer on the Road King in the pouring rain and road home to SC)

I cant think of a nicer place on earth (not that I have been everywhere) if one is looking for cool crisp mountains and nature in summer, just always a beautiful place to chill. Good luck to your mom, maybe will be so cold it will be dry snow if anything. Problem is before the changeover sometimes.

Chinook, Montana, late summer 1969, the summer of Easy Rider
I was standing along the north fence line on Gay Stern's small ranch. Gay and I were talking after having trucked some cattle to Billy's Pond, a watering hole for the cows on the far side of the ranch. It had been hot and sweaty work as the mid-day temperature was about 95-degrees. Stern's place was on the Highline - Highway 2 - about 40 miles south of the Canadian border.

Looking towards the border we could see the sky darkening in the distance. Gay looked at me and in his laconic manner said "It's gonna get cold here real quick." The darkness moved closer to the ranch and Gay said "You're gonna experience something you ain't experienced before."

Within a few minutes the wind came up strong, daylight turned almost to night, and the temperature, carried by that wind, dropped to about 45-degrees, leastwise according to Gay. He was right. This New Yorker recently transplanted to California had never experienced such an event.

Great story and character sketch!

We're supposed to have the front move in here in south central KY later this afternoon. Today's high is supposed to hit around 50* then according to the forecast be -3* by tomorrow morning. Wind chill for tonight is forecast for about -25*. This won't be the coldest I've ever seen but will probably be in the top 5 wind chills. In 1989 actual temperature was -28* with a wind chill of -56*. High tomorrow is forecast to be 10*. We're not supposed to get above freezing again until next Tuesday.

The fastest I have seen is working outside in August - when she’s been dialing down the AC inside … 😷

Just arrived DEN. Just getting off the plane and on the jetbridge- all I can say is "baby it's cold outside".

Denver is really tough for the car rental shuttle. I suspect it will be a brutal wait.

Back