Fastest temperature drop I've ever witnessed

I'm looking forward to a warm Christmas finally. Over this cold weather.

View attachment 131907
Yeah we’re not going to get beat up too bad either.
EA9613F9-BBD2-46E1-ACDD-643BD95BCE85.jpg

This will seem tame compared to others. In December 1983 I was a teenager working an ice cream cart at EPCOT (by what WAS Journey to Imagination). It was a nice day until the wind started blowing for about 25 minutes. When the wind stopped, it 'felt' 20 degrees cooler and the temps continued to slowly drop the rest of the day and night. By morning it was 20 degrees F, which is bone chilling for Florida. Pretty sure they gave me the day off.

Mother is in WNC. I hope we all don't get too much ice. Ice and white pine = no power.
My family is from Ashe County. There’s several places along the blue ridge that the weather is much different than the forecasts would indicate. My grandmother would record the foggy mornings in August. She said that number would tell her how many snow events were coming that winter. I imagine she was as accurate as the weather folks are today!

Wow!!

BTW- if by chance you are heading into WY on I80, I would put money on it I80 will be closed, and if not, extremely dangerous just miles north/ west of Cheyenne. Please exercise caution if heading into WY. And if you are heading to WY, please have blankets and a few days worth of emergency rations in your vehicle.
Not a chance. I-80 across WY is very windy most of the year and can be virtually impassible or closed in the winter.

Well, if you were out last night, you know I was talking temperature. DIA was reporting - 24C when I was walking across Quebec Street. That’s about -12F. Pretty cold. But it was blowing about 30 Mph.

That wind chill would have been a lot lower!
At my house, which is maybe 10mls east of mountains was showing windchill -34, and actual was -26c. But, actually today is really not bad.
Though, ski resorts are on wind lift conditions. So, no skiing today.

being retired weather matters little, just an inconvenience!! people get used to crappy weather if they grow up with it + although Penna gets some of it these days seem to be better with less snow as in the past!! it gives everyone something to talk about + i remember Jim Corea's words its light out now but will be dark tonight as he did not embrace everyones views!!

This is only somewhat related, but when I was a kid we were morons (ok I still kind of am) and my best friend across the street had both a swimming pool and a hot tub. So in the winter the pool would be like 40° and the hot tub like 102° and we would jump back and forth between the two pretty regularly.

Right on GON. I-80 across Wyoming, especially north of Laramie to Evanston, is definitely no place to be in a big winter storm. Everyone traveling across that stretch of I-80 use added precaution. Happy Holidays to all.
New year 2014-15. On the way to Park City, maybe December 29th, something like that, gas station on I-80, -41 actual temperature.

New year 2014-15. On the way to Park City, maybe December 29th, something like that, gas station on I-80, -41 actual temperature.
One time Sue and I were skiing in Monarch (Colorado). We left late in the afternoon after a day of skiing and headed back to Colorado Springs via Hwy 24. Hwy 24 goes through a high inland plain, perfectly flat for miles. It was absolutely bitter cold, something like -10 degrees with light blowing snow. For 70 miles there was ZERO traffic on the road and we had a hard time seeing the actual roadway because it blended in with the surrounding plain

We quickly realized how foolish we were to be driving through there at this time of the night. I vividly remember Sue looking over and me and saying "What the eff are we doing here?!" We moved back to Cali within 6 months.

As nice as Colorado was, it simply wasn't for us. But I can say this without a millisecond of hesitation - we had the.....best.....neighbors.....ever. All of them. A truly fantastic neighborhood. Our neighbor across the street from us was a FOUR TIME Olympian! Can you imagine maintaining that level of athletic fitness and earning a spot on the Olympic team for for SIXTEEN YEARS?! Absolutely amazing.

Scott

Last edited:
One time Sue and I were skiing in Monarch (Colorado). We left late in the afternoon after a day of skiing and headed back to Colorado Springs via Hwy 24. Hwy 24 goes through a high inland plain, perfectly flat for miles. It was absolutely bitter cold, something like -10 degrees with lite blowing snow. For 70 miles there was ZERO traffic on the road and we had a hard time seeing the actual roadway because it merged into the surrounding plain

We quickly realized how foolish we were to be driving through there at this time of the night. I vividly remember Sue looking over and me and saying "What the eff are we doing here?!" We moved back to Cali within 6 months.

As nice as Colorado was, it simply wasn't for us. But I can say this without a millisecond of hesitation - we had the.....best.....neighbors.....ever. All of them. A truly fantastic neighborhood. Our neighbor across the street from us was a FOUR TIME Olympian!!!!!!

Scott
That part can be really tricky. It is close to Taylor Park Reservoir, which is coldest place in lower 48. Seeing-20 or -30 there while it is 50 and hour and a half away in Colorado Springs, is very common in winter.

That part can be really tricky. It is close to Taylor Park Reservoir, which is coldest place in lower 48. Seeing-20 or -30 there while it is 50 and hour and a half away in Colorado Springs, is very common in winter.
We knew no better. Thank God we had the vehicle for it. A 2001 Dodge Durango SLT Plus with AWD (not just 4WD), a limited slip rear diff, and a 5.9 liter V8. That big, gas guzzling beast was incredible in those conditions, far more capable than any Land Cruiser or Subaru. Put it in "D" and go. And I mean that literally. In the snow that big beast was unstoppable.

Scott

Last edited:
We knew no better. Thank God we had the vehicle for it. A 2001 Dodge Durango SLT Plus with AWD (not just 4WD), a limited slip rear diff, and a 5.9 liter V8. That big, gas guzzling beast was incredible in those conditions, far more capable than any Land Cruiser or Subaru. Put it in "D" and go. And I mean that literally. In the snow that big beast was unstoppable.

Scott
Vehicle and tires. I tell my friends that ski using local roads, only snow tires. You really don’t want to get off the road there.

I'm looking forward to a warm Christmas finally. Over this cold weather.
I spent yesterday with an good friend and his daughter visiting Australia from Santa Barbara, USA. His daughter is now a Paramedic there. She's very switched on, and a great person. I remember visiting my friend in SB-CA, it's an excellent place.

They have decided to spend their Christmas at Noosa in Australia, it should be a nice 86 to 95F (30 to 35C) there on the beach. Then they head to Melbourne to watch the cricket.

7B5B2CB0-B1C2-4895-9E2D-6E9892B00468.jpeg

We are supposed to drop something similar here in PA, Friday afternoon or night I think it is. Not sure if it will be that dramatic, hopefully not. Will be ready with some hot tea or coffee and watch it from the windows.
It's suppose to hit around 3-4am by me. 2-4 degrees below zero with wind chills in the negative 20-30 degree range.

Reactions: wlk
I spent yesterday with an good friend and his daughter visiting Australia from Santa Barbara, USA. His daughter is now a Paramedic there. She's very switched on, and a great person. I remember visiting my friend in SB-CA, it's an excellent place.

They have decided to spend their Christmas at Noosa in Australia, it should be a nice 86 to 95F (30 to 35C) there on the beach. Then they head to Melbourne to watch the cricket.

View attachment 132018
I really can't complain about living here. Whenever I think of moving I think about how nice the weather is here compared to most other places in the US. That and I would be leaving all my friends, and I hate putting the effort into making new friends.

They're declaring a State of Emergency here tomorrow at 7AM. ALL commercial trucks are banned from any highway after 6AM tomorrow (I take that to be any work van on up to tractor trailers) and there aren't much specifics other than high winds and lake effect snow everywhere...

I'm stuck in Marshfield, Wisconsin tonight at -11 with a -30 wind chill. I can't remember the last time it was this cold in December in Wisconsin, maybe four years ago? It went from being a fairly mild December so far to being brutally cold now with a big snow dump.

Stay warm and stay safe out there 🥶

Back