Fastest temperature drop I've ever witnessed

wwillson

Staff member
We were sitting at a store in Fort Collins today and I glanced at the outside air temperature on the dash. The gauge said 48°F, about a minute later we pulled out of the parking lot and drove two miles north, which took about seven minutes. When we got to our destination seven minutes later, the outside temperature was 16°F. That's a 32°F drop in 7 minutes. I've never seen a temperature drop that quick. Amazing.

This is a screenshot of the temperature gradient from Ventusky.

6AC0FF73-2E6B-4579-A7B7-AC379E0D8C3A.png

Wow!!

BTW- if by chance you are heading into WY on I80, I would put money on it I80 will be closed, and if not, extremely dangerous just miles north/ west of Cheyenne. Please exercise caution if heading into WY. And if you are heading to WY, please have blankets and a few days worth of emergency rations in your vehicle.

We are supposed to drop something similar here in PA, Friday afternoon or night I think it is. Not sure if it will be that dramatic, hopefully not. Will be ready with some hot tea or coffee and watch it from the windows.

That is Colorado.
When Bombgenesis hit in 2019, we had a drop of 70 degrees in 2 1/2 hrs. I think 30-40 degree drop actually happened something like that, 10 minutes.

Yep.,..

I remember that well... I looked up the observations the very next day and it was amazing.... Truly spectacular.

Records were set as you know.

Incredible what can happen east along the Rocky mts.

Yep.,..

I remember that well... I looked up the observations the very next day and it was amazing.... Truly spectacular.

Records were set as you know.

Incredible what can happen east along the Rocky mts.
They clocked 117mph wind that day at the Air Force Academy. I think I picked up 30+ people who had to bail out of cars bcs. stuck. One of my neighbors that was picking up people broke an axle on JEEP when he got stuck. It was truly a remarkable storm. This is peanuts.

Chinook, Montana, late summer 1969, the summer of Easy Rider
I was standing along the north fence line on Gay Stern's small ranch. Gay and I were talking after having trucked some cattle to Billy's Pond, a watering hole for the cows on the far side of the ranch. It had been hot and sweaty work as the mid-day temperature was about 95-degrees. Stern's place was on the Highline - Highway 2 - about 40 miles south of the Canadian border.

Looking towards the border we could see the sky darkening in the distance. Gay looked at me and in his laconic manner said "It's gonna get cold here real quick." The darkness moved closer to the ranch and Gay said "You're gonna experience something you ain't experienced before."

Within a few minutes the wind came up strong, daylight turned almost to night, and the temperature, carried by that wind, dropped to about 45-degrees, leastwise according to Gay. He was right. This New Yorker recently transplanted to California had never experienced such an event.

Last edited:
Last time I remember such a quick temperature drop was the blizzard of 1978 AKA "the white hurricane".. Barometric pressure was 28.28. I doubt this storm will be close to that.

Wow that is fast. Would have been interesting to be outside in that.

Looks like we’ll see a severe drop tonight around 9pm. Not as fast of a drop though. Originally we were going to get freezing rain starting at 9 am today. Now it’s snow at noon until 3am.

We’ll see how it goes, but I doubt we are working tomorrow. The building I’m working at is still partially open too.

Last time I remember such a quick temperature drop was the blizzard of 1978 AKA "the white hurricane".. Barometric pressure was 28.28. I doubt this storm will be close to that.
That winter made me move from Wisconsin to Texas. Yes, it was THAT bad!

We were sitting at a store in Fort Collins today and I glanced at the outside air temperature on the dash. The gauge said 48°F, about a minute later we pulled out of the parking lot and drove two miles north, which took about seven minutes. When we got to our destination seven minutes later, the outside temperature was 16°F. That's a 32°F drop in 7 minutes. I've never seen a temperature drop that quick. Amazing.

This is a screenshot of the temperature gradient from Ventusky.

View attachment 131900
Yes. Even down here in NC we are supposed to see temps drop quickly during the day on Friday. I HATE COLD WEATHER!

Back