factory oil change out 7,500K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

It'll be almost one year in May since I bought my 2013 Camaro RS and the OLM tell me to change the oil at the 7,500 mark.

I feel uncomfortable waiting for this to happen and as soon as I get to 6K I'm having the factory oil changed. I also want to do my OCI's every 6K using a good full synthetic most likely Mobil 1.

Any opinions on this plan? It must be a semi-synthetic over plane dino but still I don't like taking the factory oil to 7,500K before swaping it out for fresh synthetic.

Durango

are there any UOA reports of the Camaro? that could give you justification of your idea.

Its an "american" "muscle" car I would def go full synthetic if you going to keep it...

If its a lease, who cares just put whatever in that is approved for warranty claims.

If it has the independent rear suspension...it's one of the few American cars ID consider a sports car.

Pull some Weight out, tweak the suspension a little, and that baby should haul through the curves.

As for oil, do what makes you feel good.

Run the oil until the light says to change it, or until you feel like it. Whichever comes first.

I pull factory fill at 12 hours...after heat cycling and a variety of other junk no one does. Can't say I've ever regretted the 20$. Nor removing the tiny amount of metal shavings from the pan rather than leaving them in there....

After 7 years here on BITOG, you must know what kind of answers you are going to get. A few will support your opinion of wanting to do an oci of 6,000 miles. But most are going to tell you that, if you are going to use a high quality synthetic, such as Mobil 1, then you are wasting perfectly good motor oil by changing that frequently.

Don't try to tell them that "it's just good insurance". You will get the wrath of Khan, or Joe, or Sam, or someone, who will point out how stupid that logic is.

Use a good quality oil and filter, and go with the 7,500 mile oci.

Originally Posted By: Durango

Any opinions on this plan? It must be a semi-synthetic over plane dino but still I don't like taking the factory oil to 7,500K before swaping it out for fresh synthetic.

Durango

I agree...but I change my factory fill at 1000-1500. (except Hondas)I would do the 6000 if you feel good about it. I do all of my vehicles at 5000 with synthetic. None consume oil. I even have a Toyota 4cyl that has a piston ring TSB for oil consumption but the 5000 OCI has kept the engine clean enough to prevent or at least stall that issue. So, I am in the change oil often camp.

Honestly I see no reason to change early however its your car,do what makes you happy.
Who cares what anyone thinks,what do you think? And decide based on that.

Any opinions on this plan?

Yeah I wouldn't do it. At some point in time, the oil starts drying up and the engine starts getting stained with sticky brown varnish. But if it's a lease - then typically - nobody cares.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Any opinions on this plan?

Yeah I wouldn't do it. At some point in time, the oil starts drying up and the engine starts getting stained with sticky brown varnish. But if it's a lease - then typically - nobody cares.

I suppose at some point this is true however I seriously doubt its happening at intervals dictated by the oil life monitor,and using oils that meet dexos or better.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I suppose at some point this is true however I seriously doubt its happening at intervals dictated by the oil life monitor,and using oils that meet dexos or better.

If it was my 2013 Camaro, "I seriously doubt" wouldn't cut it.

And I didn't mean for that to sound the way it did.

I do the first change at 500 - 1000 miles,
then every 200 hours synthetic, 60 dino
(put a vibration hour meter in the car)
or one year
depending on which comes first....

Last edited:
I think your plan is good. I imagine that you drive it spirited as it should be and changing out the oil at 6k will help keep her in great shape. Enjoy the spirit

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You should change the oil every 1,000 miles until you reach 10k then your golden.

Yeah, you don't want to build up any of those pesky AW additives
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You should change the oil every 1,000 miles until you reach 10k then your golden.

Yeah, you don't want to build up any of those pesky AW additives
grin.gif

Exactly

If you feel like, but don't be fooled into thinking it will have any meaningful effect on engine life. With today's manufacturing tolerance it's somewhat pointless when the factory OCI is only 7500 miles.

Thanks guys,

What a wide variety of opinions I got. Some reinforce my thinking and some not. That's good cuz everyone has there own way. I am amazed at the wide diverse way each person pays attention to there own vehicles. No matter wether negative or positive each of you at least cares enough to do something in this world where we see issues happen and no one does anything about it.

Have you guys noticed we represent a very small percentage of people that do care.

OH well many thanks for your postings and I'm still planning to change my oil at 6K.

Durango

901Memphis,

I think that will happen at the 15K service I believe. In either case the GM dealership will handle cuz it's still under warranty.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back