How many of you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys/gals,

In about another month I'll be getting my 2013 Camaro it's first 6K oil change service although my OLM tells me not to do it until 7500K. When this happens I intend to begin using like in my 08' Impala SS Mobil 1 synthetic oil as a new standard.

Just curious....how many of you all really push your oil wether it be dino or synthetic to at least 7500K???

I admit I rely trust my OLM but I admit I'm a little afraid of pushing my FF that long. I don't mind doing my OCI's every 6K.

Any opinions? In June it'll be about one year driving on the factory fill and so far coming close to 6K. Has motor oil changed/manufactured that much so that it can go those distances? Usually for me if the oils black as "H" and iit's around 3K I always changed my oil but now a days does it matter?

Durango

Last edited:
Oil colour is absolutely irrelevant.
Dnewton runs supertech oil 15000 miles and its the conventional flavour. His used oil analysis show nothing out of the ordinary.
FX has run Mobil conventional 10000 miles and AFE 0w-20 22000 miles and his used oil analysis are normal,so 7500 miles certainly isn't pushing anything,depending on if its a short tripper or not.
Follow your oil life monitor and use dexos oil and the engine will outlast the car.

I would trust a good name brand synthetic for a 7500 OCI. Pennzoil Platinum wold be MY first choice but mobil 1 is very good at what they do. Id also try Pennzoil Ultra for 7500 but Ive heard that its not supposed to be used for more than 4000. Ya know what!? Ima start a thread on that.

I dont put that many miles on the explorer,so for myself,I go at least a year on oil changes.

Our Crown Vic with 260,000 miles,we try to change oil around the 5000 mile mark.

I wouldn't worry about a (too much) shorter OCI with factory fills in modern engines. OLMs are pretty accurate, generally. The major exception is with DI engines, especially GM applications. Those should be changed at most every 4k miles. Too much fuel dilution.

I pretty much NEVER changed the oil under 10K in my Volvo. Engine was spotless and the only funky UOA I ever had was some fuel dilution to prove a point about just starting the car cold and moving it a few feet and shutting it down right away. Buyer is extremely happy with the car and the condition of the engine.

The Honda I follow (~6K or double ~12K miles) the OLM depending on mood and oil selection.

The sludger Avalon. Dang I need to change the oil in that thing. Meh, wait until the weather warms. It's got HDD in it.

For the first 5-6 changes just follow the OLM. Maybe do the first change or two early.

I'd say you are on a good plan to follow the OLM. It's a great tool that can provide better insight to oil life than a simple round number of time or miles traveled.

I am currently running synthetics 7,500 miles in my Focus. Lines up perfectly with my tire rotation schedule.

5K on the Saturn with whatever
OLM somewhere between 0% and 10% on the Cruze with Synthetic - mostly because I want to catch it when it's convenient under warranty rather than extend the interval.

I usually run 7 to 10k on synthetic. But my vehicles see almost all highway use so I rack up that mileage in 4 to 6 months. I don't know if I'd run the FF that far though.

Agree with changing FF early. Any good synthetic should easily go at least 7500 miles, and a good dino will go 5000 without worry.

Under warranty I would be sticking with OLM or the conservative intervals above.

Last edited:
I ran GC for 8K at 24 months, and the TBN was 2. Right now I have another fill of GC with 4K and 10 months on it, and I am planing on changing this fill at 8K.

BTW, I am also using an extra large Purolator oil filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
I would trust a good name brand synthetic for a 7500 OCI. Pennzoil Platinum wold be MY first choice but mobil 1 is very good at what they do. Id also try Pennzoil Ultra for 7500 but Ive heard that its not supposed to be used for more than 4000. Ya know what!? Ima start a thread on that.

Whom did you hear from that Pennzoil Ultra was not supposed to be used more than 4000?

To the OP. Follow the OLM with dexos approved oils in the correct weight to not void any factory warranty.

Since we drive our Caddy less than 4,000 miles a year and that includes at least 3 - 500 mile trips a year, I change it every 6-7 months. Its a DI and the olm reads around 30% at that point. Normally less than 3,000 miles. I use Mobil1 5w30 and a Delco 2129 filter. The average one way to work is ~2 1/2 to 3 miles depending which location she needs to go to. My wife isn't real big on warming up a car either. She does take it very easy and it's local streets all the way. Maybe once a month she will take it on a 40 mile round trip for a seminar or something. I try to get it on the highway and blow it out every couple of months. It's a tough life for oil. Especially with a winter like this year. Almost never getting up to temp.

I have been going ~10K on Mobil 1 for several vehicles now and no problems from oil.

Cars have many other problems other than engine lubrication.

It's one of the few things you can do something about, though, so you might as well do the best you can, but that is not a problem with modern oils.

Originally Posted By: datech
I have been going ~10K on Mobil 1 for several vehicles now and no problems from oil.

tig1 - quit hacking people's passwords.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back