Mobil 1 "Extended" Is it worh it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

This coming Friday I'm having my frst OCI done on my 2013 Camaro V-6 with a little over 6K. I intend to at least get Mobil 1 put in but I've also been thinking about trying the extended version so as to push it towards it's first major service 15K which means the oil will have to take itself to 9K.
Do you all think it's whse to go this route or should I stay with the standard synthetic/M1 and just keep OCIing it every 6K?? Also do you think the standard Delco oil filter will handle 9K miles???

Durango

Since M1 and EP are only a couple of dollars apart, go with the EP. Mobil claims the EP line is their "ultimate" and "boosted". So why not?

If warranty allows a longer interval, say 15k, then I guess it might be worth it, but I can't see that being the case.
Regular M1 synthetic oil would be good for 10k though.
The standard delco oil filter would be fine and possibly preferred while under warranty, just in case.
OEM parts would be what I'd stick with while under warranty.

Usually the EP is 2.XX additional over standard brew M1. Recently my WallyWorld has it for same price as regular M1. Is there a reason not to go the EP route?

For me the $2.xx is less than a cup of coffee so sounds too good to be true. I went EP with F150 recently to see what the 5-20 EP will get for a UOA.

IMHO......there aren't a lot of vehicles or a lot of driving habits that allow for 15k OCI's.

HOWEVER, there ARE a lot of vehicles and a lot of driving habits that 10k OCI's are pushing it.

Some have suggested there is very little if any difference, physically between regular M1 and EP. From what I have seen, I believe that might be the case too.

The warranty claims with EP may be primarily what you pay for with EP, but I guess we will never know.

It does seem though that considering most here change their oil in fairly sensible OCIs, normal M1 is likely to provide more performance that you will ever need.

What does the OLM indicate at 6K? I would hope regular M1 would be able to go 9K, but I think you have to go with the OLM or at least give us information on how the vehicle is used. The OLM takes that into consideration.

I have two cars with the cartridge type oil filters, so I can see the condition of the element after every change. I never see anything wrong with them after 10K, FRAM, Purolator, whatever. It might just be my engine, but I am getting the general idea that oil filters are mostly unnecessary, but again it might just be my engine or my usage and circumstances.

I have been using M1 since the early 90's, usually just the regular stuff. I have tried the Extended with the 15K guarantee I didn't want to go 15K because it didn't seem to fit my usage ( only about 10K per year, 15K would mean a year and a half and I didn't like the timing of when I would be changing it).

It seems like there has been at least one time I have gone 12K the regular M1, as recommended by the OLM. The engine survived but the oil was pretty dark by then.

I often decide to do an oil change on circumstances. If I had 8K on the oil and I was planning a cross country trip, I would change it, even if I might be able to squeak by or delay some. Part of a good feeling about being prepared, which is easier than dealing with trouble on the road.

I get the general impression that the Extended helps with cars that are driven on somewhat short drives in cool weather. What are your driving habits?

I would not take anyone's "guess" on here as to what your needs are. This is where a few UOA's will tell you what you want to know. As for me? I stick to 5000 OCI simply because oil is cheap and I plant to keep my engines to at least 200k and don't want to have an oil burner. I think you would be better off with a syn blend or PYB and 6000 OCI than EP and 10-15k. JMHO.

Last edited:
No, don't do it,
I used it on my honda v6 back in the day wallys would do a syn change with EP for the same price as M1.
Fuel dilution or other issues will need a quicker oil change so EP's extra cost will not be recovered.
if it is same price, go for it.

Originally Posted By: datech
What does the OLM indicate at 6K? I would hope regular M1 would be able to go 9K, but I think you have to go with the OLM or at least give us information on how the vehicle is used. The OLM takes that into consideration.

I have two cars with the cartridge type oil filters, so I can see the condition of the element after every change. I never see anything wrong with them after 10K, FRAM, Purolator, whatever. It might just be my engine, but I am getting the general idea that oil filters are mostly unnecessary, but again it might just be my engine or my usage and circumstances.

I have been using M1 since the early 90's, usually just the regular stuff. I have tried the Extended with the 15K guarantee I didn't want to go 15K because it didn't seem to fit my usage ( only about 10K per year, 15K would mean a year and a half and I didn't like the timing of when I would be changing it).

It seems like there has been at least one time I have gone 12K the regular M1, as recommended by the OLM. The engine survived but the oil was pretty dark by then.

I often decide to do an oil change on circumstances. If I had 8K on the oil and I was planning a cross country trip, I would change it, even if I might be able to squeak by or delay some. Part of a good feeling about being prepared, which is easier than dealing with trouble on the road.

I get the general impression that the Extended helps with cars that are driven on somewhat short drives in cool weather. What are your driving habits?

datech,

Current reading show the OLM at 20% and since in a couple months it'll be a full one year since bought new I'd thought it's a good time to swap it out according to the manual. Once it's changed I want to take the ododmeter to another 9K miles so that way I'll have the big service done at 15K.

I musr admit I'm not use to doing my OCI's at such a hight mileage interval. On my 09' Impala SS I usually use M1 regular and change according to the OLM which indicates every 6K.

Durango

20% at 6K tells me 0% at 7200, so you are close enough ( I hope my math is right, but remember the OLM is not a linear so it can fluctuate according to vehicle usage).

You know, that might mean the OLM wouldn't let you get to 15K. If you are under warranty I wouldn't take it in with the OLM saying the oil change is overdue.

Maybe if you want a bit longer you can get 7200 on this OC and finish the 15K on the second, but it looks like you will overrun the OLM at 9K, and regardless of the brand/type of oil that might invalidate your warranty.

You could probably take it in for the big service sooner than 15K.
What is the 'big service'? I never had it done on my Chevy.

If you can afford the more expensive oil and you want to keep the car in tip top shape then go for it.

I see no point in using an inferior product if you are able to afford better

I thinks its a matter of the appropriate lubricant for the situation - not inferior or superior.
EP may be better for very LONG oci but inferior for short oci and Newish engines not fully worn in. That added detergency at the beginning may mean MORE wear susceptibility early on in the oci. Don't forget your DP/EP/AW surface completion lesson. All lubes are compromised for their intended service

20% at 6K tells me 0% at 7200, so you are close enough ( I hope my math is right, but remember the OLM is not a linear so it can fluctuate according to vehicle usage).

Since it is still under warranty stick to 6K OCIs with regular Mobil 1

You know, that might mean the OLM wouldn't let you get to 15K. If you are under warranty I wouldn't take it in with the OLM saying the oil change is overdue.

Maybe if you want a bit longer you can get 7200 on this OC and finish the 15K on the second, but it looks like you will overrun the OLM at 9K, and regardless of the brand/type of oil that might invalidate your warranty.

You could probably take it in for the big service sooner than 15K.
What is the 'big service'? I never had it done on my Chevy.

He can always reset the OLM himself at ~5% and continue until it says to change again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back