Change oil now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

Because it's almost one year gone by after purchasing my new Camaro I'm at now 6K. Do you think I should change the factory oil now or wait until the first service 7500K? I dont think I can do any additional miles between now and June. Of course I want to use a good synthetic like Mobil 1. If I do this can I take the Mobil 1 to it's next prescribed service of 15K??

Durango

I would get that ravaged oil GONE, it's vis is absolutely trashed down to a low 20 while breaking in the engine, and its loaded with abrasive particulate and low on TBN.

But maybe you might wait if the first OCI is free
smile.gif

Is this an 8 or the 3.6? - An how do you see out of that thing? I test drove one and felt like I was in an M1 ABrahms and Im 6'2".

I will say nice coachwork/sheetmetal bending on that camaro especially the rear window sails and trunk area
smile.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
ARCO,

No the OCI isn't free.....Since it's now almost one year and I just hit 6K I thought to get rid of the factory oil and get some good synthetic in it and then push that Mobil 1 to 15K. Would the Mobil 1 go that far or should I ask for the "extended" version???

This is not the 8 SS but the RS 6 cylinder.

Durango

Bear in mind you are still in the break-in period, and it may not be prudent to jump to a 15K OCI yet.

I'd encourage you to hit up Camaro owner forums to see what is best practice for engine break-in on this model. Any resources available through Chevy may also be good to research.

Last edited:
It's a little too late to worry about break in.

IMO, you could run Mobil 1 from this point to 15K. It's only 9,000 miles.

Follow the manual. You're under warranty. Don't let a petty thing like an oil change risk your warranty.

The manual probably says when the OLM goes off or 1yr, whichever comes first.

Is that engine direct injection? If so, you should go no more than 4k miles between oil changes. I'd go 3k. So change it out immediately if it is DI then change it again between 9 and 10 thousand on the odometer. Use whatever Dexos 1 approved oil you like. If it isn't DI, I'd change it out now and put M1 EP in it and go to 15k on the odometer.

Hi you all,

Thank you all for your opinions on the given subject. Personally I'm leaning towards getting the oil changed so in a couple weeks
I'll message up my dealership service tech and make an appointment with him to have it done. Like I said I want to use Mobil 1 like I've done with my 09' Chevy Impala SS and drive it without any worries. Once this is done I'll drive this synthetic for another 6K/12000 miles and slowly push the M1 until the Camaro gets back on a proper service schedule. It's just the fact that I'm just not use to taking my oil especially to service intervals of 7500K one conventional oil ( most likely a blend ). In addition I did ask about this on my Camaro forums and was also told I should have changed the oil to synthetic after the first 3K and I took my car to another 3K for a total of 6k miles. Allow me to ask once again....Do you believe the M1 can go 9K before the next service including the oil filter????

Druango

Originally Posted By: Durango
Allow me to ask once again....Do you believe the M1 can go 9K before the next service including the oil filter????

Druango

If that engine is direct injected, no. Change it at 3k mile intervals. If it is not direct injected, then 9k or 1 year (whichever you get to first) with M1 will be fine. I'm not sure what type of engine is in those.

Allow me to ask once again....Do you believe the M1 can go 9K before the next service including the oil filter????

It'll make it, but will it make it without staining your engine with varnish?!!? That's the question....

Fuel dilution is blown out of proportion here. I've seen plenty of high fuel uoas where wear seems below normal even for engine breaking in. It varies by application but fuel dilution doesn't always equal increased wear.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fuel dilution is blown out of proportion here.

Agreed. I've had 1.8% fuel (with nice wear numbers) during a hard off road season and I have never seen a DI engine come near that.

Hello to all,

Because it's almost one year gone by after purchasing my new Camaro I'm at now 6K. Do you think I should change the factory oil now or wait until the first service 7500K? I dont think I can do any additional miles between now and June. Of course I want to use a good synthetic like Mobil 1. If I do this can I take the Mobil 1 to it's next prescribed service of 15K??

Durango

Factory fills should be changed earlier than any other interval, ever. You will have compounded wear metals in that factory fill since the car is getting broken in.

Drain it soon, if not today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back