oil for two vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vehicles in question are ones I service regularly and are owned by two of my friends. One of them is a 2011 Chevy 1500 with the 4.8 Vortec. It just went over 100k miles so no more warranty, but while the warranty was intact, I was being conservative and doing 5k intervals with either Castrol or M1 5W30, the OLM would be at 40% most of the time. Now my buddy is considering extending his oil changes to 7-7500k. Who knows he might decide to follow the OLM to 0% now and I was wondering which oil yall think would be best. Supertech 5W30 which is Dexos approved, but who makes it? Also considering Royal Purple HPS or HMX, both which have Synerlec, in either 5W30 or 10W30. Whats the difference between the two, and are they considered long drain oils? Last oil would be Castrol Edge Extended Performance in either 5W30 or 10W30. I will be using a Fram Ultra filter.

The second vehicle is a 2015 Chevy Equinox that was purchased new and they have 6k and 12% OLM on the factory fill. I was thinking of changing every 6k with Supertech Syn 5W30 and a Napa Gold filter. (Shes a teacher and doesnt make much so it would help to keep her costs low) The Supertech is cheap and I can get her a deal on a case of filters from the local Napa. I told her Id keep a folder with receipts and write down the date and mileage of the oil changes for warranty purposes. The equinox is short tripped 5 days a week, half a mile to work and back.

Does this seem like a sound plan for both these vehicles? thanks guys

Last edited:
Any dexos1 approved lube would work fine for them, even taking the OLM down to zero. For the first vehicle, I'm sure either RP variety would be fine for the full interval, but, as always, watch your costs. Any dexos1 oil should be more than sufficient for 7500 miles, particularly those with much longer warranties than that.
wink.gif

As for the second application, I can't see a lot to criticize in that plan, either.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Supertech 5W30 which is Dexos approved, but who makes it?
good idea, it is made by Warren in some places, and why not trust the engineers and run that oil to 0% OLM? I mean it exists for a reason.

they considered long drain oils?
if it is Dexos approved then the engineers have deemed it sufficient to run it to 0% OLM.

I will be using a Fram Ultra filter.
good idea.

The second vehicle is a 2015 Chevy Equinox that was purchased new and they have 6k and 12% OLM on the factory fill. I was thinking of changing every 6k with Supertech Syn 5W30 and a Napa Gold filter.
again, 0% OLM with a dexos approved oil would be more then sufficient

Last edited:
Supertech 5W30 which is Dexos approved, but who makes it?

That depends on which part of the country you're shopping in, but the big clue is the shape of the bottle since the oil contractors tend to use their own bottles. Out here in Central CA, Citgo makes our SuperTech.

I'd be looking for alternatives to that 1/2 mile commute which is not doing any favors for that Equinox. Despite the 12% OLM I'd probably change it 2X/yr.

Silverado: Stick with any name brand Dexos oil & change according to oil life monitor. Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, etc.

Equinox: Your plan sounds perfect assuming 5W-30 is the correct weight. (Thought there may be a possibility it would be 5W-20 but if not, go ahead)

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Silverado: Stick with any name brand Dexos oil & change according to oil life monitor. Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, etc.

Equinox: Your plan sounds perfect assuming 5W-30 is the correct weight. (Thought there may be a possibility it would be 5W-20 but if not, go ahead)

I agree with this 100%.

I might have to rethink the interval on my buddies 2011 Chevy. I changed his oil today with 6,060 miles on it and 44% on the OLM. I checked the oil before I changed it, it was a quart low. Hes not mechanically inclined at all, not even to do a simple oil change, so I'd hate to see him to go to 0% OLM and possibly run the engine low on oil.(he never checks the level either, despite me always reminding him) They had a special today at AAP, he bought some Castrol Edge Titanium 5W30 and a K&N oil filter, I'll have him run this 6k and see how it turns out. What would be a better cheaper alternative, I think since it uses a quart in 6k, thatll be the maximum oci limit on this truck. I'll have to get him to pop the hood every once in a while and check it, something he never does. Besides that it runs great, just hit 101k miles this afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back