Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Olas

Need is subjective when "every new engine has some debris in it"

Excuse me, that should be changed to EVERY engine has some debris in it!

Better?

Sorry mate, I weren't having a pop at your grammar. I agree that every engine has some debris but the thread is about the FF, and when you see the picture in this thread that is the only picture, and of FF, it makes sense to dump it ASAP.
Good rings and good filters keep most debris out, but I'm concerned about the glittery metal swarf that you only find in an FF. Or on stripdown and analysis of something that destroyed itself under load.
That is the specific particulate I want out.

I want that [censored] out too. It might not be doing any harm in there, but it isn't doing any good either. The odds of me owning a new Honda are slim to none, so I don't have the issue of Honda suggesting the FF stays in until the first oil change is due.

This is kinda interesting. I've never bought a car brand new but I have heard the "change it at 1000mi" thing plenty of times. I think the big question would be the quality of the oil filter used in a factory fill, not the oil itself, because the engine oil can easily be strained of any particles that would cause a problem with a good enough filter, unless the thing gets completely clogged and goes into bypass.

10k on original fill does seem a bit high though. Maybe it doesn't matter. Sucky that engineers and bean counters both have a say. My friend has a VW and it gets oil changes and some other stuff for free but it's only every 10k miles.....makes me wonder what kind of oil/filter they are using.

i changed out the FF on my Malibu around 4.1K and 30 odd % on the OLM. the filter had a LOT of break in metals in it, not to bad though. i put some PP and a fram XG on it plan to run it the full OLM which will prob go off around 9K. (5K on the oil)

Originally Posted By: hal
10k on original fill does seem a bit high though. Maybe it doesn't matter. Sucky that engineers and bean counters both have a say. My friend has a VW and it gets oil changes and some other stuff for free but it's only every 10k miles.....makes me wonder what kind of oil/filter they are using.

While I would lean towards an early change, do note that bean counters having a say isn't a bad thing. I would suggest that engineers wouldn't concern themselves much about what it would cost you to change oil every 3,000 miles, even with a big sump or an expensive synthetic. The bean counters certainly will, particularly when marketing tries to push easy maintenance or gives away "free" oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back