Factory Fill 2008 Altima 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one KNOW what kind of oil is in a factory fill for a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5?? The reason I ask is I just purchased a Coupe version over the weekend. The car has been setting on the Dealers lot for quite a while. It only had 40 miles on the odometer when I bought it. Do you think I should change the oil based on its' age or would it be OK to keep a normal change interval??
I also own a sedan version which now has 42000 on it and seems to be running very well on PP
Thanks for the help

Don't know what the factory fill is comprised of but I would leave it in for at least 2k to 3k miles and then change it out to your favorite dino until it reaches 5k. Then I would put in the Pennzoil Platinum. After that get yourself on a regular OCI that you find acceptable. Just be sure to pay attention to not void any warranty for the time period it is in effect.

how many hours are on the engine?
stealership will idle the car a lot to keep the battery fresh.
what is the build date?
just pull the dip and smell, taste, mass spectro the oil.
sorry got carried away,
oil is cheap, not changing it will cause undue stress,
just do change it.

Oil smells and looks good. I am not really stressing it. I was curious if the factory fill is a special blend or just a plain old dino oil so when I do change it I will be close to what should be in it. This is my commuter car and I drive it almost 50 miles each way to work so the oil doesn't really get stressed a whole lot.

The manufacture date should be on the door jam.

I always dump factory fill early. Who knows, that car may have sat there a year. Perhaps the filter media is starting to deteriorate. As a guy who owns a repair shop, I am not very impressed with the QR25DE (Your Engine).

Keep good oil in it and check the level often. I've seen many of these cars run like crud after only 75K, and then you have all the issues and recalls on it only a couple years ago. The sand casted rods look crudely made as well, but should hold up for normal street duty.

The rest of the car should be solid, I just hate the engine. Here is a link to a video posted not that long ago. Same engine as you in a Sentra with minor tweaks (Intake & Exhaust).

YouTube Video

Originally Posted By: stockrex

stealership will idle the car a lot to keep the battery fresh.

That's not true for all dealerships. My 08 Altima had a dead battery when I went to test drive it. I had them replace the battery when I purchased.

Run it till 500 miles then do a change.
thumbsup2.gif

The car came with a 5W-30 conventional oil in it, nothing special. Run it 1K then go ahead and change it over to the Platinum 5W-30. No need to wait until 5K.

Nice cars.

I don't grasp why some feel the factory fill should be changed out so early....or that sitting on a lot for 8 months is going to cause the filter/oil to deteriorate. But hey....what do I know? I just think it's a waste to dump it before 2k miles. Some folks would have you change the oil three times in 3k miles because of break-in material. Others....follow the manual. My thought lies somewhere in the middle. I say 5k until synthetic is added only because some oil makers even suggest a break-in waiting period....but Mobil 1 is factory fill for many cars.
So basically just do what you feel is best for you.

I am only asking because the owners manuals for most cars state OCI based on miles driven OR a specified time period, "which ever comes first". As I am not involved with auto mechanics etc as my primary source of employment I am only trying to gather information.
I did call the dealer and: 1: He couldn't tell me if the oil was conventional/blend or synthetic. 2 he suggested it be changed at 2000 miles.

SO..............

If the manual states to change oil every 6 months or 7,500 miles...

And the car has been sitting for 8 months...

I'd change the oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back