F150 ecoboost, what oils are available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new ecoboost calls for Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend (GF-5 and API Service SN, Ford WSS-m2c946-a)

The Motorcraft is $3.49 quart at Walmart. Any other oils better, specifically for helping prevent carbon build up and increasing fuel economy?

What other oils are a replacement for this oil? I use Shell Rotella in my tractors and diesel truck and prefer Shell products but have not found anyone that carries a Pennzoil sythnetic blend around here. I think it's Platinum that I would need?

The Pennzoil blend is called Pennzoil Gold, but Ive never seen it in the wild. Pennzoil Platinum is a full synthetic though and would do excellent in that engine. There is no problem using a full synthetic even though factory is Synblend, if that was your concern.

Last edited:
Congrats on the truck, would love to get one. My 2004 F-150 loves Quaker State,(which is still SHELL) whether it is synthetic or conventional. QS does have a blend, although I have yet to see it. For a blend, either Motorcraft, or Valvoline DuraBlend is good also.

I use 5w-30 Platinum in my Rangers with good results. If you want to spend the extra money, Pennzoil Ultra is their top-tier synthetic oil. You should be able to get either at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What does Ford recommend?

Their own. Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend.

If you like Shell products, Platinum 5w30 is hard to beat. I'd go Synblend or Syn(I'd choose Syn) in a 365hp/420tq Turbocharged/DI gas engine.

I feel like the trick with the EcoBoost is finding a oil with a low NOACK. Being direct injected, build up on the valves could be a concern. The turbos are water cooled, not oil cooled, so I don't believe a synthetic is technically necessary. I think SynPower is known for low NOACK though.

Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 would likely be an outstanding oil for it. Its recent reformulation appears to have significantly improved it.

LittleBoss, I dumped the factory fill at 2500 miles and put in Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 in my EcoBoost F150. You're gonna get sticker shock on the bigger filter ($23) that's required from the factory installed one..congrat's on your truck

Last edited:
I've seen the Pennzoil Gold at Menards. It was in 10-30 and the Truck/SUV blend (same thing?) was in 5/30. I think 3.49 per qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back