Extended OCI

I have a family member who bought a 2018 Mazda with the Skyactiv 2.5l NA engine. They bought the car new and have put very few miles on it ~ 3,000. Here’s the thing, it’s on the factory fill still and has never had an oil change. I have offered to do an oil change immediately, but is this a cause of concern? Should I do a flush or is everything likely fine?

Likely not an issue, but agree with aquariuscsm that you should change it.

If you want to do a short oci to help clean it out that would be an option too. (change by time if they aren't driving very much)

Here are a few similar questions similar to yours, there are others if you search around a bit:

LOL it's the family members decision. If you get involved and something goes wrong it's your fault. I tend to stay away from this kind of issue. This person has no clue what car maintenance is about. Remember the TV you can pay me now or you can pay me later!

Sounds like it's only going to be a concern for the next owner. Does this family member have plans to drive more? Will someone in the family be the next owner? If not, I wouldn't worry about it much.

Wow, a car that old with a virgin drain plug. It must be hot for a socket. Somebody needs to fix that pronto.

drain plug.jpg

Last edited:
LOL it's the family members decision. If you get involved and something goes wrong it's your fault. I tend to stay away from this kind of issue. This person has no clue what car maintenance is about. Remember the TV you can pay me now or you can pay me later!
Smart, no matter how many egos beg you to be all expert-savior!

No flush. Just do a change with new filter now and again just an oil change (no filter) in a month or so. This car should get oil changes based on
time, not mileage. I'd change it every 6 months after these 2 quick oil changes.

The reason I would change it again is because you never got all the old oil out in one change so I would like to do my best to
get the most of the old oil out. I'm figuring 2 changes should be ok. "Sorta" like an AT D&F.

I would drive it to the dealership, pay up for the synthetic oil change and oe filter, and drive it back to the negligent family. While at dealership, have them perform any campaignrecalls as needed.

I don't deal with those that are negligent. There is a reason why automaker want mileage/time, whichever come 1st, for maintenance. Its to protect owners from themselves.

They’re obviously irresponsible, I’d steer clear of any involvement or advice-giving whatsoever; you don’t want this to be YOUR problem, do you?
I’d prefer to step in and help them get on track and learn better maintenance practices along the way.

Back