Extended OCI with M1 HM 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Ford Fusion 160k mi 3.0L v6 6 qt sump
Burns about a qt every 3k

I can get 2 5qt jugs of M1 HM 10w-30 at wally world + a fram ultra filter for around $65 total

Since I have to replace a qt every 3k I think I could get away with 12-15k OCI.

Thoughts, Opinions?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
I think you'd be fine. Has the 10w30 cut consumption down any at all?

Not sure yet, last oil change was supertech 5w-30 and I noticed a lot of consumption on the highway this change, which lead me to the other thread where I'm replacing my PCV valve. So next change is going to be M1 HM 10w-30 with a new PCV valve. Not an apples to apples comparison but if consumption is reduced I'll be a happy guy. Of course that screws up my plan for long OCI but hey, I could run one of the EP oils next time.

I live in FL and we're coming into summer so a 10w v 5w is irrelevant as far as cranking temps are concerned.

I'd top off with with SuperTech HM - if you're adding 4 qts to keep it topped off, 15k should be a breeze.

[/quote]I live in FL and we're coming into summer so a 10w v 5w is irrelevant as far as cranking temps are concerned. [/quote]10W anything would work all year in Fla climate. As a wild guess probably your oil change interval would work.

I do agree you can have a longer OCI and just how long? A UOA will tell you for sure...

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I do agree you can have a longer OCI and just how long? A UOA will tell you for sure...

If the PCV doesn't stop the consumption I'll do a UOA around 9k and see how everything looks. Darn PCV won't be here until Thursday, so poor Jadzia is missing her intake manifold until then.

I think I'm going to see some consumption decrease based on the amount of oil I see in the PCV tube and in the intake manifold itself, will be interesting to see just how much of a difference it makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back