Extended Drain Opinion

That sounds more like a short trip problem rather than a DI or oil problem.
At the time ,my wife was driving 8 miles to work and 8 miles home. That was not enough to get the oil hot. Her previous car the Elantra which I drive now, had no fuel dilution issues with that same drive, but it's mpfi.
She works from home now.
But the Mazda id not driven at least 20 miles continuous, will have winter fuel dilution.

Personally I think this is all blown out of proportion thanks to the internet. Cars have burned oil for as long as I can remember. Some burned oil right off the showroom floor, just like today.

IMO today’s engines burn less oil than older generations.

Do any of you think one of the reasons we are seeing more engines using oil than they did 10-20 years ago is due to the fact car makers
have changed their OCV's guidelines from 3K to 5K to 7K to 10K.....?

My understanding is some engines are being made "looser" to help mpg requirements and this may have an effect. Please don't get all technical on me. You know what I am trying to say, right?

Second question, what is the mileage that you consider "extended" drain? Is it 10K, 15K, ?

I apologize if this has been asked in the last few months. I have been "sabbatical" and don't feel like searching.;)
Tolerance in engines today are a lot tighten then 20 years ago. I never really done extended drain intervals. Some do but to me I stick with the 5k mile or 6 month oci. Mainly because I do such short trips every day less then 3 miles to and from work and around town so at the end of 6 months my oil gets pretty nasty especially in the winter. I think the reason a lot of people are seeing oil consumption on new engines is they are going further thinking they can go 15-20k mile between changes. Just change it 3-5k mile and use a good filter you will be fine

My stuffs all been pretty tight, the departed Lexus, the Honda, the Nissan Titan - burn mere drops between OCi's (15/10/10)

My marine engines & cat 3126 motorhome use some, but these make serious power so I expect it.

Just did the 2014 Fusion … 11k on the M1 AP … it’s at 147k and does not burn oil …
Same M1 AP 0w20 back in …

Last edited:
According to what I have seen on here I have been doing extended drain intervals for years. Only proof is my van as I have at this time 2800 miles since November and 142 hours. I was doing 6 month intervals since I got van and did 5k on last vehicle in 8 months. If you do math that is around 300 hours in 5k which if you look through the oil change section you will see 160 hours in or around 8k. If you do math on mine around 5k I would have 253 hours with max according to the manual of 350 hours. I have never seen oil change light since new so in a year of 6800 miles I would be at the max.

Do any of you think one of the reasons we are seeing more engines using oil than they did 10-20 years ago is due to the fact car makers
have changed their OCV's guidelines from 3K to 5K to 7K to 10K.....?

Second question, what is the mileage that you consider "extended" drain? Is it 10K, 15K, ?
I don't know what you're talking about? My stuff(see my signature)doesn't use any oil. I do 10k+ mile oil changes.

My experience has been "when carburetors went away, oil consumption went away."

Last edited:
Tolerance maybe, but clearances, no, they are not tighter.

Now the tolerances of people today, thats really tight( small).
the tighter it is the more failure to occur, less wiggle, more jiggle.

ARE more engines using oil? Neither my wifes 2012 Highlander (10,000 oci @ 130,000 miles) nor my 2016 2.7 EcoBoost F150 (7500 oci @ 75,000 miles) uses enough to show on the dipstick.
That 3.5 2GRFE engine in that Highlander is bullet proof and you’ll see less oil consumption than most. And the 2.7 EcoBoost at 75,000 miles on 7,500 mile intervals? First, your mileage on that vehicle is still pretty low, you shouldn’t be seeing oil consumption. And second, 7,500 oil change intervals isn’t exactly extended drains.

I mean, you may never see oil consumption in either, who knows? But oil consumption is a real thing for a lot of us nowadays.

I think it depends on three things...

Port injection engines
Direct injected engines
Turbo/forced induction engines

Out of those three things^^^the only engine I’d trust for extended drains LONGTERM is the port injected engine. And when I say “longterm” I’m talking over 150,000...get the mileage up over 150,000 miles and tell me how that direct injected engine is doing on 10,000-12,000 mile drain intervals. How’s that oil consumption now? And if it’s good? Congratulations you are one of the lucky ones.

I work in the trade, I see these things go south real quick once the mileage starts to get up there...and then the thing is consuming oil. Everyone was super happy until 120 thousandish miles and then something started happening to those rings. They’re coming in without a drop on that dipstick. Everything was A OK for that first 100,000 miles under that extended power train warranty, but now? Uh oh. Going to need a new engine. Oh, I’m sorry, but Ford, Toyota, Honda, Audi, BMW, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, KIA, whoever, aren‘t going to cover that engine for you now. They don’t know who you are, they don’t care to know. It’s yours now. Oh, you say, well I’ll never buy another ________ again. Guess what? They don’t care because the same thing is being said about all those other manufacturers and guess what? Those people are now buying the cars from the company YOU said you’d never buy from again...and YOU’RE buying from the company THEY said they’d never buy from again.

But I do think that direct injection is improving, and perhaps the oil consumption/extended drains is/will be blown out of proportion, but for a lot of folks, they had some problems. And if I wasn’t keeping a car longterm perhaps I wouldn’t be concerned about oil consumption/extended drains/etc.

Last edited:
+1 Add oil analyses to learn HOW dirty etc.
At $10 to $25 per analysis, it's costly when compared to a few additional oil changes.

I just wish there was a deposit on oil which you got back upon recycling. Perhaps there'd be less pollution.
Ha-ha...AND LESS HOARDING! I just thought of that...pretty funny, eh?
Maybe campaign for this before some cleanliness/environmental/aesthetic/locally prominent effort succeeds in banning private oil sales?
Don't give CA any ideas.

Back