Explorer Sport or Xterra? Opinions Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an Xterra (2006) owner and I say get the Explorer. Don't get me wrong, my Xterra has been very good (80K miles on her) but if your looking for a budget SUV, you don't want to have to put an additional $1,000 down for a timing belt as soon as you get it. And you would want to change the timing belt by 100K. It's an interference engine.

The Explorer's SOHC 4.0L will serve you better. Now if we were comparing with a 2nd generation Xterra (2005+), with standard 265 HP engine, my answer would be different.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Other than being American made there's honestly not a lot good I can think of regarding the "Exploder"s-wiring problems, premature rust, IMHO weak rear suspensions that make them useless for towing (& contributed to the rollover problems)-the 2 extra doors would be a big plus too.

I'm not sure what wiring issues you are talking about. My '95 rust belt Explorer had no electrical problems to speak of. The Explorer came with a variety of rear suspension setups, ranging from a monoleaf to a three spring pack with an overload. Plan on replacing shackles on a truck that has seen a lot of salt, but other than that I haven't had any suspension problems with them...FWIW, my Explorer towed a boat for about 8-9 years.

As for rust, it's a direct result of neglect and location. If the Explorer in question is already rust free, it is EASY to prevent it from happening. Explorers rust because people drive them in salt for 15 years without ever treating the underside with a rust preventing product or even hosing it off. If there is any rust on it, it will be on the rocker panels, so check the back side of those for an idea of the condition.

Xterras are good, but I will agree with some posters about the 3.3 being gutless. I drove a 3.3 NA crew cab '04 Frontier and it was an absolute dog, but was a fairly reliable truck during the 90K miles or so that my cousin owned it. I'm not sure if it is a common issue on these trucks or not, but the thing that stands out to me about that Frontier is that the brakes were absolutely trashed before 70K miles...as in violent wobbling from warped rotors. Other than that, I can't remember any serious issues.

I'd guarantee you'd have to dump as much into the Explorer as the Xterra. I'm sorry but as much as these guys say get the Explorer, they have a bigger problem if your not careful which will cost more money than the timing belt change on an Xterra ever will. If you do the TB change yourself on the X which is about 2 hours for a novice it will cost you between 275-300, dealer will charge 500-700 for it.

Brakes are dependant on driver, 70k out of brakes is quite a bit as most people average between 20-40k. Lower cost as well as only the fronts are disc brakes and the rears are drum brakes.

The Guide chains, and trannies on the Explorer(if not cared for, which most aren't) are the weak points in the one engine, and the trans configuration.

Your getting opinion from both sides, I really recommend you read up on both of them, find out what else you need to know and make your own choice. Basing it off what everyone else says will land you with a ride you will not enjoy. Take them both for a test drive etc, see which one is more your style. I think the X is a better looking ride but to each their own
wink.gif

Inspect vehicles for rust, records, check under carriage and give it the suspension test. Take em for a test drive. Guys are easily getting more than 200k-300k out of Xterra's just like the Ford guys, but again its dependant on what your looking at. Most cars are neglected and its those few that aren't your trying to find. Check trans fluid etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
The Explorer does have the 4.0L SOHC engine.

I really do not like the fact that I will have to dump money into the Xterra for the timing belt. Does it have to be done right away? Will it give any warning signs when its about to go or will it just go?

Timing belt per owners manual is due at 105k. Most change the belt @ 100-110k no more. You could inspect the belt for fraying etc but do not push it past 105 depending on the year. There are no warning signs only a definite sign and thats when your car is on the side of the road dead with a 90% change the engine is shot. You may be lucky and the guy/gal could have had it done as some get it early around 80-90k.

Originally Posted By: Anies
I'd guarantee you'd have to dump as much into the Explorer as the Xterra. I'm sorry but as much as these guys say get the Explorer, they have a bigger problem if your not careful which will cost more money than the timing belt change on an Xterra ever will.

I do believe that "these guys", which includes myself, made clear mention of the timing chain guides on the 4.0L SOHC, and I distinctly remember making it a point to recommend the 5.0L engine in the Explorer, which is backed by the 4R70W and is a far stouter combination than what is found in the Xterra.

A 5.0L backed with a 4R70W is arguably bullet-proof.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
A 5.0L backed with a 4R70W is arguably bullet-proof.

Yep, the 5.0L Explorer is a good truck, and better looking than the 2002+ Explorers (IMO).

Take a hard look at a 2002+ explorer with the 4.6L all aluminum V8 motor.

It is a fantastic engine, and gets better gas mileage than the old 302 did (and doesn't burn oil)..

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Take a hard look at a 2002+ explorer with the 4.6L all aluminum V8 motor.

It is a fantastic engine, and gets better gas mileage than the old 302 did (and doesn't burn oil)..

Neither does the 302. And my BIL's 5.0L Explorer gets better than EPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back