Explorer engine options

Not sure what the lecture is for here.

Your point: The adaptive tables are there to learn how to tune itself for the physical parameters of that particular unit.

On a new car test drive, your point is that all of that has already happened?

Talk about over reacting...

but it's definitely smarter than the 6F35 in the Escape and responds more quickly.
Hahaha, I feel this comment. My wife's escape is 3.0/6F35, and boy is that transmission drunk. It's all over the place, has been since new. Easily the goofiest trans tuning I've ever experienced. It's still going strong with 175k on it. That is 175k worth of joy-free *** are you doing? miles.🤔🙄

Hahaha, I feel this comment. My wife's escape is 3.0/6F35, and boy is that transmission drunk. It's all over the place, has been since new. Easily the goofiest trans tuning I've ever experienced. It's still going strong with 175k on it. That is 175k worth of joy-free *** are you doing? miles.🤔🙄

Haha, it does act drunk, doesn't it? Glad yours is hanging in there too :)

A Ford dealer a few towns over where I actually bought the Escape a few CPO Explorers, one of them being this one: https://www.marincountyford.com/inv...xplorer-xlt-rwd-4-door-suv-1fmsk7dh3lgb54527/

I'm afraid if I go look at it I'll take it home :/ LOL

Thank you all for your input so far . I’m not interested in a car and I’m not interested in a BMW.

I’m interested in as basic an Explorer as possible. Wouldn’t mind buying a used cop car but just concerned about having tranny issues like my last two cop cars.

I REALLY want an ST because if I can afford that I can afford to fix twin turbos at 100K or whenever but that’s out of budget and overkill for my needs.
Is the exploder have a transverse engine? If so the water pumo is the problem. Turbos, well they are there.

Is the exploder have a transverse engine? If so the water pumo is the problem. Turbos, well they are there.
2020+ is a new RWD based platform, no transverse :) Hence why I want one of these not the previous gen.

Not sure what the lecture is for here.

Your point: The adaptive tables are there to learn how to tune itself for the physical parameters of that particular unit.

On a new car test drive, your point is that all of that has already happened?

Talk about over reacting...

Sorry if it seemed an over reaction, but when things get repeated often enough, and they're wrong, it becomes almost impossible to find the real information when you're looking for it.

As far as a new car test drive. 'Most' of the adapting is as set from the factory. Identical (well, as identical as anything could be these days), factory built units, are all programmed with set values that 'should' be the same (or close enough), or through some secret sauce method if they happen to test components before assembly and add that into the calibration (Doubtful, that's a lot of testing). Minor adjustments take place during the first bit of driving and then through the life of the unit as things like clutch wear and seal deterioration start happening.

When people do a manual reset, that's when you have to go through the many step relearn process, since you're wiping out all of that initial information and any information it has gathered as the unit wears.

Main point is as you stated, the unit adjusting to itself and not the driver.

The 10R80 (and probably the 10R60 since they're close cousins) can still be a picky beast. @meep has not really been completely satisfied with his, while mine has been pretty much spot-on since I've owned it. Hard to say why, but there's lots of them out there and they seem to be hanging in there in normal use. Don't know about the Raptor guys and people that beat on them though. And even though mine has been really good, it still will do some dim-witted stuff every now and then, especially if you're having to slam on brakes to avoid something. It will get itself all confused and bang a few downshifts, but I've only had that happen maybe twice in 33k.

--Edited to Add--

And since this is BITOG, I don't think I have to say that I think the Ford recommended 150k service is complete and utter BS. Please change the fluid out long before then if you have one. I don't think anything good can come from waiting that long.

Last edited:
10R60 in our 21 Explorer has been fine. No issues to report to date with 25,000 on the clock. It very occasionally will hesitate or stumble to choose a gear, but in my mind has been no different than the 6R80 that is in my F150 (16 with the 2.7). It is light years ahead of the 6r60 that was in the '07 Explorer with the 4.6 that the 21 Explorer replaced. If I remember right, the 6R units started showing up in the '06 Explorers with the 4.6 - and they were rough! (At least every '06 I test drove had issues :))

The key was LARGE and being ready to do it. I suspect this is harder if not impossible now, but what's the worst that can happen, they tell you no?
in my part of California, Folsom Lake Ford and Downtown Sacramento Ford got the lion’s share of cop/government(minus the US GSA) orders. The CHP’s FleetOps warehouse and line isn’t too far away in West Sacramento. If you somehow buttered up the fleet manager, they would probably tack onto a pre-negotiated national contract.

It’s more common these days for a government agency to negotiate a big order for themselves, get rights to more units and offer the rights to anyone who asks. Not all agencies have the same clout as the GSA or other government procurement agencies.

Back