Excited About Wife's New 4Runner

OK, I guess I thought some kind of more extensive procedure was needed. When ive driven the Tacoma in ice and snow (not a common thing here; usually 1-3x/yr), I’ve tried to rinse the underside.
I stick a sprinkler under the Jeep after it cools down over night … sipping coffee in the morning …
3 spots pretty much gets it all …

Congratulations on your first little one. As a father of 3, and previous highlander and suburban owner, nothing beats my wife's minivan. If you're planning on having more than 2, swallow your pride and get a minivan. 4Runner money will get you a nice minivan and a nice start on his college fund.

Cheers!

I have had 4 Toyota trucks and 4 Ford trucks I like both of them very much. . I had a 74 Chevy p/u and I will not bought another

Congratulations on your first little one. As a father of 3, and previous highlander and suburban owner, nothing beats my wife's minivan. If you're planning on having more than 2, swallow your pride and get a minivan. 4Runner money will get you a nice minivan and a nice start on his college fund.

Cheers!
I don’t doubt what you say about the practicality of a minivan for people hauling.

But one of the main reasons we went 4Runner was the traditional design - BOF construction with RWD and longitudinal-mount engine.

RWD for handling and driving dynamics (I’ve really enjoyed the handling of my Tacoma - I’ve always said it steers like a sports car), also makes any transmission maintenance much easier (though, with the Aisin A750 that my Taco has, and shares with the 4Runner, as well as the Land Cruiser, GX, earlier-Gen Sequoia and Tundra, all of which have or had V8 options, the only transmission maintenance that will be required will be periodic fluid swaps).

And the engine being mounted the correct orientation is much more pleasant to do maintenance on than a transverse V6 setup.

If we outgrow the 4Runner as a family vehicle, I’d be more likely to go with something like the Nissan full-size van. I like that its BOF/RWD, and that it’s also not a cab-over design. Pretty much took a Titan and put a van body on it.

There are even a few outfits retrofitting Titan 4x4 (not that I need 4WD - I don’t) systems into them out in Colorado for ski resorts and such. Pretty neat, and they look really tough with a lift, aggressive wheels and tires, and a big roof rack.

I’m like you - I like simplicity, because I’ve learned that simplicity usually means greater reliability.

However, I am actually kinda geeked about the automatic cruise control system that holds a distance behind the car ahead, and the Apple Car Play, since the wife and I have iPhones.

Now, the Lane Keep Assist, they can have that. No use for it. I’ll turn it off if I can when I’m driving it.

The simplicity and reliability is why I bought my 4Runner. I just got a 2021 Venture Special Edition a couple of days before Thanksgiving. The radar cruise control is awesome and one of my favorite features. I know people get confused with Lane Keep Assist and Lane Departure Alert. The 4Runner actually has only the Lane Departure Alert. The dash will flash and let out an annoying beeping alert letting you know you are close or out of your lane. There is a button on the steering wheel to turn this feature off if you want. I believe you have to hit the button everytime you start the vehicle if you dont wish to have it on. It will not steer you back into the lane like some other vehicles do. My wife has an Acura RDX which assists you back into the lane. I like that feature but it wasn't a must have or a deal breaker when I bought the 4Runner. I was ok with the alert system. Good luck!

Attachments

• 4Runner.jpg
    4Runner.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 35
I don’t doubt what you say about the practicality of a minivan for people hauling.

But one of the main reasons we went 4Runner was the traditional design - BOF construction with RWD and longitudinal-mount engine.

RWD for handling and driving dynamics (I’ve really enjoyed the handling of my Tacoma - I’ve always said it steers like a sports car), also makes any transmission maintenance much easier (though, with the Aisin A750 that my Taco has, and shares with the 4Runner, as well as the Land Cruiser, GX, earlier-Gen Sequoia and Tundra, all of which have or had V8 options, the only transmission maintenance that will be required will be periodic fluid swaps).

And the engine being mounted the correct orientation is much more pleasant to do maintenance on than a transverse V6 setup.

If we outgrow the 4Runner as a family vehicle, I’d be more likely to go with something like the Nissan full-size van. I like that its BOF/RWD, and that it’s also not a cab-over design. Pretty much took a Titan and put a van body on it.

There are even a few outfits retrofitting Titan 4x4 (not that I need 4WD - I don’t) systems into them out in Colorado for ski resorts and such. Pretty neat, and they look really tough with a lift, aggressive wheels and tires, and a big roof rack.

I can't argue with your points! Congrats with your purchase and the little one.

The simplicity and reliability is why I bought my 4Runner. I just got a 2021 Venture Special Edition a couple of days before Thanksgiving. The radar cruise control is awesome and one of my favorite features. I know people get confused with Lane Keep Assist and Lane Departure Alert. The 4Runner actually has only the Lane Departure Alert. The dash will flash and let out an annoying beeping alert letting you know you are close or out of your lane. There is a button on the steering wheel to turn this feature off if you want. I believe you have to hit the button everytime you start the vehicle if you dont wish to have it on. It will not steer you back into the lane like some other vehicles do. My wife has an Acura RDX which assists you back into the lane. I like that feature but it wasn't a must have or a deal breaker when I bought the 4Runner. I was ok with the alert system. Good luck!
NJ4Runner,

Welcome to BITOG!

Man, that is one really cool-looking T4R Venture Edition.

With your roof rack, and the angle you took the photo from, it looks a lot like a Land Cruiser, which is high praise!

Does the Venture Edition come with that roof rack?

Do you have any settings that might give your the option of turning off the audible alert? My Mazda has that. I could pick between the beeping or steering wheel vibration. The vibration is less annoying.

NJ4Runner,

Welcome to BITOG!

With your roof rack, and the angle you took the photo from, it looks a lot like a Land Cruiser, which is high praise!

Thank you! Yes it does come with the cargo basket from Toyota but its an aftermarket item anyone could purchase. Its the Yakima Megawarrior cargo basket. Truth is I loved the look of the TRD wheels the Venture came with over the TRD Off Road wheels.The Venture is an Off Road Premium with different wheels, the cargo basket, blacked out emblems, and a few other small items.

Do you have any settings that might give your the option of turning off the audible alert? My Mazda has that. I could pick between the beeping or steering wheel vibration. The vibration is less annoying.
I checked but you can't turn off the audible alert unfortunately. However you can adjust the sensitivity or just turn the system off all together. I would prefer a vibration through the steering wheel. I even have the Carista OBD2 adapter with the app which allows some factory customization. Its not an option on any of the customization menu. I'll ask the dealer when I go in for my first service to see if anything can be done with the audible alert.

Congrats on the new kid/ride! It took my a while, but the 4runner is turning into one of my fave SUVs. And this coming from a domestic (family worked at big 3, including myself for a short time) I thing I love is how comfy the ride is *must be the seats). I think I would be fine with 2wd as well, just throw nice set of tires on it....sure camping will be easy. :)

I am quite happy with my Nox (my only complaint is the stop/start) but I could see myself with one of those soon if I keep ending up with one (have 2 friends with 4Runnners, 16 &19)

Thank you! Yes it does come with the cargo basket from Toyota but its an aftermarket item anyone could purchase. Its the Yakima Megawarrior cargo basket. Truth is I loved the look of the TRD wheels the Venture came with over the TRD Off Road wheels.The Venture is an Off Road Premium with different wheels, the cargo basket, blacked out emblems, and a few other small items.
That sounds like a great package.

From my research, the ORP is likely the best-selling trimline on the T4R.

I think Toyota ought to offer real leather seating as a standalone option. I would have been willing to pay up to $1000-1200 for a factory leather seating option (I hate the “Softex” pleather).

That sounds like a great package.

From my research, the ORP is likely the best-selling trimline on the T4R.

I think Toyota ought to offer real leather seating as a standalone option. I would have been willing to pay up to $1000-1200 for a factory leather seating option (I hate the “Softex” pleather).

I had factory leather in my '97, and a '95 FZJ80 Landcruiser. The softex is more durable, and doesn't take constant conditioning and attention like real leather.

You get factory leather in the Limited. For me and my experience, that's another reason I didn't buy the Limited.

Now I like good quality leather, as we have it in the wifes SUV (SAV), the truck, the sportscar, and sports coupe. But for our use, prefer the Softex in the 4Runner.

You can of course get aftermarket leather put in pretty much any vehicle.

Last edited:
I've tried that for salt. It just isn't thorough enough to get into all the nooks and crannies.
Yeah, I used to be able to put my Caprice on the hoist at work and pressure wash the entire hndrca before my winter oil spray. There is no way a sprinkler is getting everything rinsed off.

Now I do a drive through undercarriage spray then over to the manual car wash to try to get as much washed out as possible. But if you're not standing under the vehicle with a pressure washer it's not going to be perfect.

NJ4Runner,

Welcome to BITOG!

Just like the Tacoma, the 4 Runner can be a rabbit hole of aftermarket goodies. While not a basket, they make a Prinsu roof rack that is really heavy duty!

I'm debating getting one for my 2021 Taco. Serves no function to me, but looking cool IMO. Now if you want to go with some lighting, that's another whole deep dark path :LOL:

Congrats on the new ride!

Are you concerned with engine break in at all? I've often read in owners' manuals to avoid driving at a constant speed / engine load for prolonged periods during the first 500 miles or so. Seems difficult to avoid on a 700 mile trip home.

My first new vehicle I purchased involved a 40 mile all-interstate drive home. Did my best to vary the engine speed but still felt like I should have taken the long way home instead of the interstate! For what it's worth I've known more than a couple people buy a new car and subsequently take it on a cross country drive for vacation right away, so it's probably not uncommon and probably doesn't make a world of difference. Curious what others think on the subject.

Congrats on the new ride!

Are you concerned with engine break in at all? I've often read in owners' manuals to avoid driving at a constant speed / engine load for prolonged periods during the first 500 miles or so. Seems difficult to avoid on a 700 mile trip home.

My first new vehicle I purchased involved a 40 mile all-interstate drive home. Did my best to vary the engine speed but still felt like I should have taken the long way home instead of the interstate! For what it's worth I've known more than a couple people buy a new car and subsequently take it on a cross country drive for vacation right away, so it's probably not uncommon and probably doesn't make a world of difference. Curious what others think on the subject.

I'm not so sure if it makes a difference. I bought a 07 Dodge Dakota in another state. It was brand new and drove it home 500 miles. I sold the truck years later with 140,000 miles and it never burned more than a half quart every 7500 miles when I usually did the oil change.

Back