Everyone around me has nicer/newer cars than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I see post like this, I sometimes wish I was in car sales. The luxury upsales would be so easy.

No better place to LOSE your money than buying cars.

I wish I could have just half of mine back! It would be a lot of money.

But one thing's for sure, I never bought a single one to impress anybody but me.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No better place to LOSE your money than buying cars.

I wish I could have just half of mine back! It would be a lot of money.

But one thing's for sure, I never bought a single one to impress anybody but me.

Amen Steve
cheers3.gif

This is probably the dumbest post I have seen 2 infinities and a BMW and you complaining csuse all the other cars are nicer? Maybe you should take one of those junk cars and go around America and see how most people live instead of how your family lives and get a taste of reality.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

When you have FU money cars are lame, if your not an enthusiast. He builds space ships.

space ships>cars

Why can't he have both? Even if you're not a car enthusiast, if you're a multi millionaire you'd think you'd want to be driving in something luxurious, as you'd become accustomed to that kind of lifestyle.

He can have both, no doubt...but I think the point is that he doesn't want both. I read an article a while back about a guy in LA who dealt only in used Volvo wagons - the real shoebox type...he would fix them up so they were mechanically perfect and cosmetically perfect on the inside...then he sold them for a pretty penny to celebrities that wished to maintain a low profile...

For those folks, avoiding being seen is a priority...

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I know it sounds silly. My cars are all very nice and in perfect condition, but driving and riding in my family's cars make mine feel old and [censored].

So? Are you trying to "keep up with the Jones'" or are you just embarrassed by your own frugality on your vehicles? You mentioned tht you were the richest in your family. Perhaps now you know part of the reason why. If you like your cars, enjoy them and worry not what others think. After all, you gotta make the payments, they do not.

Last year I got the car fever. My 2001 DeVille was getting kind of shabby. Everybody in my office seemed to be getting a new car. $50,000 Toyota Sequoia, $40,000 Buck Enclave, etc. I looked around and picked up a low-mileage 2007 Cadillac DTS for $18,600, full price. (I sold the DeVille to my sister, so the dealer didn't steal it from me.) It's not the latest SUV, but it's what I wanted. I'll be driving it long after those other folks have traded again for the latest thing.

My good friend was a surgeon since mid/late '80's , but still drove 1983 Honda Accord in mid-1990's, at that time he made more than $200-250k a year. His nurses drove newer vehicles and making fun of him about his beat up 12-13 years old Accord. He kept driving that old Accord for another 5-6 years because he wanted to buy nicer/bigger house with cash, rather than spending money for newer/better car.

According to Forbes, Jeff Bezos net worth is $18 Billion. If he spends 1% of his money ($180 million) in cars. How many exotic/luxury cars he can buy for that much money ? He can buy every model of all top brands, from Ferrari to Lotus to Lambo ... in the world and still have money left from the $180 M to buy several cases Amsoil(from Pablo) full synthetic oil.

Like I said before....
Big egos require lots of attention and they need a fancy car/suv.

If you lose sleep at night cause relatives drive nicer vehicles... something is wrong.

Originally Posted By: tightwad
I looked around and picked up a low-mileage 2007 Cadillac DTS I'll be driving it long after those other folks have traded again for the latest thing.
Unless that 4.6 gets you first.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

According to Forbes, Jeff Bezos net worth is $18 Billion. If he spends 1% of his money ($180 million) in cars.
I would like to have that problem. Really I would.

Bah. He asked for advice and/or to commiserate; he didn't liquidate his fleet and spent the $$$ on something shiney on a whim. A fool asks for advice and acts contrary to it; an idiot fails to bother looking for advice in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

When you have FU money cars are lame, if your not an enthusiast. He builds space ships.

space ships>cars

Why can't he have both? Even if you're not a car enthusiast, if you're a multi millionaire you'd think you'd want to be driving in something luxurious, as you'd become accustomed to that kind of lifestyle.

Some people like to keep a low profile. Problem with expensive cars, is that if you stop to just get gas, or simply get the paper people will ask you questions and want to talk, take pictures etc. Or if you travel, and some areas are pretty poor. I mean its pretty uncomfortable driving around in poor areas full of $30k trailers in a $300k exotic car.

Don't be hard on the guy. I tend to prefer something that's in decent shape or looks good or unique, regardless of age. The old Audi looked almost brand new, despite its age. When I had my Town Car, same deal.

The F-150, well, that's another matter. It doesn't look bad, but no one will mistake it for new. Mechanically, just about everything is, though, including suspension, transmission, and engine.
wink.gif

There are some amazing vehicles out there. If we look at some of them longingly, then the automakers (or their marketers) are doing at least something right.

My one brother has a 2012 BMW 335i
Another brother has an '07 BMW 750il and a BMW X6 50
Another brother has an '11 G37 and a '12 Lexus RX350
My other brother just bought a 2012 535is which is what pushed me over the edge.
My mom has a mercedes E320 CDI, my dad a Porshe Cayenne S

An interesting reply would be a guessimate of each one listed vehicle portion of networth.

My self two vehicles make up 3% of my net worth.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

My one brother has a 2012 BMW 335i
Another brother has an '07 BMW 750il and a BMW X6 50
Another brother has an '11 G37 and a '12 Lexus RX350
My other brother just bought a 2012 535is which is what pushed me over the edge.
My mom has a mercedes E320 CDI, my dad a Porshe Cayenne S

An interesting reply would be a guessimate of each one listed vehicle portion of networth.

My self two vehicles make up 3% of my net worth.

I've got you beat, but we did buy the Tracker new so its kind of sad that its worth near zero now, but atleast it was cheap to start with! It is nice on some level to treat a car just as a transportation tool. Not many hours of my summer are spent washing and waxing, and we can drive down a narrow trail to a lake without caring about branches scratching the paint. No worrying about locking doors, narrow parking spots, or putting goats in the back either.

I don't know how you account for a car that is leased though? I guess it's a liability.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: tightwad
I looked around and picked up a low-mileage 2007 Cadillac DTS I'll be driving it long after those other folks have traded again for the latest thing.
Unless that 4.6 gets you first.

An '07 model Northstar should pretty much run forever. And the 4T80-E between it and the wheels is bulletproof. It's a solid powertrain.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

An '07 model Northstar should pretty much run forever. And the 4T80-E between it and the wheels is bulletproof. It's a solid powertrain.
Okay. I wasn't aware that they fixed the crank sensors, coolant crossover, head gaskets, oil pan gasket, crank seals, etc. etc. That engine was a true POS in years past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back