Ever use two sets of ramps for an OC?

I think I'm going to get a second pair of Rhino Ramps for the rear wheels for changing oil on the wife's Kia Seltos. I've changed the oil twice now and made a mess both times. The Seltos has a large tray underneath but it has cutouts for the drain plug and the oil filter, unlike my Sorento which just has a giant tray with 17 bolts holding it up. The problem with the Seltos is that the drain hole on the oil pan faces toward the front of the car. So while most of the oil stream shoots forward, a small amount runs back along the length of the pan since the pan is tilted front to back because of the ramps. Also as the stream slows down, then more of it is directed along the oil pan and ends up on the underside tray. When the low spots on the tray fill up it then runs off onto whatever. I could remove the underside tray but I don't feel like doing that. So I'm thinking that a second pair of ramps for the rear wheels will have the car in a level situation, assuming that I'm starting out of fairly level ground. If the car is level then the slow stream of oil should drop down instead of running toward the back of the car along the pan.

Make sense? Anyone ever done that?

Will the highest point of the Rhino Ramps fit under the vehicle in front of the rear tires before you drive up onto all four ramps simultaneously? If so, it should work.

I'm probably over-cautious, but I always put a 3-ton floor jack under something solid at the front end of the vehicle when I have it up on ramps. I would be looking to do the same at the rear if I had it up on four at the same time.

I used four Rhino Ramps to change the transmission fluid in a 2017 Ford Escape. I bought a set of Rhino Ramps Max to use under the front end. I used my older set under the rear. You need to determine if there is enough clearance for the rear underbody. There are moldable funnels that may help.

Yes, elevating the vehicle front and rear makes it easier to get around underneath.

I use 4 when doing differentials and xfer case … need to be level. I also use just 1 sometimes … but not sure I’d do that with plastic ramps … 2 is most common both front and rear …

I think I'm going to get a second pair of Rhino Ramps for the rear wheels for changing oil on the wife's Kia Seltos. I've changed the oil twice now and made a mess both times. The Seltos has a large tray underneath but it has cutouts for the drain plug and the oil filter, unlike my Sorento which just has a giant tray with 17 bolts holding it up. The problem with the Seltos is that the drain hole on the oil pan faces toward the front of the car. So while most of the oil stream shoots forward, a small amount runs back along the length of the pan since the pan is tilted front to back because of the ramps. Also as the stream slows down, then more of it is directed along the oil pan and ends up on the underside tray. When the low spots on the tray fill up it then runs off onto whatever. I could remove the underside tray but I don't feel like doing that. So I'm thinking that a second pair of ramps for the rear wheels will have the car in a level situation, assuming that I'm starting out of fairly level ground. If the car is level then the slow stream of oil should drop down instead of running toward the back of the car along the pan.

Make sense? Anyone ever done that?
Would a Fumoto valve and temporary hose help ?

I use two sets of Rhino ramps a lot. Not so much for oil changes but they're great for transmission pan drops, transfer case servicing, changing gear oil, rustproofing etc. etc. etc.. Anytime I need a vehicle level and elevated 4 ramps are perfect.

OT- What's nice about having 4WD Jeeps is I can put them in 4L and go up the ramps without touching the gas in my Wrangler, and very little gas with the Liberty.

Some day I will do an oil change wearing white gloves to show you it can be done totally mess free. A Fumoto (nipple version) with a hose draining directly into a jug. (y)

30 years with this method. The hose is permanently attached with a zip tie but secured to the undercarriage when not in use.

The filter is more involved but doable.

I use Race Ramps. My gift to me $$$ .................. I figure I've earned them

Last edited:
Sure. If you dont have access to a lift then it is the best way to level the vehicle to check the trans fluid if it doesnt use a conventional dipstick and needs to be checked through a small stick or plug.
The running boards on my wife's Expedition require me to do this to reach anything under the middle of the car.

I can reach the oil drain plug and filter just fine from under the front bumper. It's anything behind the that point that becomes a chore. I normally use a vacuum oil extractor, anyway, though.

You can get the vehicle approximately level using only a single set of ramps if you take advantage of a hill---the end with no ramps on the uphill end.

Nope never done that both my sets of ramps are 30+ years old and don’t sit the same height I’ve never used 2 sets I do everything with one or with jack stands

I use them once in when working on my Trailblazer or C1500. My wife got me two sets of Rhino ramps for this purpose.

You may need to jack up one side to slide a set under though. My Trailblazer is too low with the side steps.

Not a ramp guy but that should work. I wish automakers would make sedans and crossover pans the way my wife’s rogue is set up. Drain bolt is facing aft and is scooped so that it is the lowest point if you only jack it up from the front. The filter is in the wheel well behind two clips, easy as cake.

I have done that. I have a Hyundai Tucson with the stupid drain plug facing forward. If you take it up on front ramps you cannot get all the oil out. So I have done four ramp changes. Ultimately though I have solved the problem by using an oil extractor. The extractor gets it all out and makes life a lot easier for all oil changes.

I think I'm going to get a second pair of Rhino Ramps for the rear wheels for changing oil on the wife's Kia Seltos.
Why a second pair? Just put one at opposite corners if it has a limited slip. Only need 3 jack stands for my Honda.

large.jpg

Back