Ever survive a layoff?

"Going to be out of work through the summer months due to a massive renovation where I work. There will only be a "skeleton" crew working and we might be brought back in September...hopefully. I can use my two month vacation and use ESL hours to pay for benefits, but that ends in Sept. and I'd have to go on COBRA. We're hoping that management gets sick and tired of dealing with our jobs and bring us back out of frustration! :giggle: They'll be getting a taste of what we went through during covid."

This was my earlier post #83 on 4/25. Little did I know that the title of this thread would mean a completely different thing to me. I got the phone call in mid July that our dept was going to be let go on 9/20 until probably February with benefits ending 9/29. On 8/24, I had a heart attack. Not only was this out of left field for me, but left field from a different ballpark. Two stents and six days in the hospital. Gotta wear a Zoll Life Vest for three months. So...surviving a layoff took on a whole new meaning.
On the plus side, I couldn't make jury duty (though I'd have rather done that every month I've been off than go through the attack), won't be losing any work time, and my dept coworkers won't have to pull any extra weight to cover for me. Funny how life can change in the blink of an eye.

Back