Ever survive a layoff?

MSCH,

How do you feel about the UAW strike and 40% raise they want ?

Last edited:
The UAW should have done something different decades ago. Probably a lost cause now. I am thinking of back in the day when the big three built junk. Poor mileage. Fast cars that would not stop or turn on a dime. You think they would consider anything John R. Bond had to say. UAW just went along w/the flow.

Back then UAW should have proposed and heavily bargained for investment in new technology, that both sides should give some to make that happen.

I guess if you want cost of living you need to ask for 40%.

I've been cut before. I switched jobs at that point. That job required me to resign the ability to return to my company that furloughed me. I'm back with that furloughed company now. I make much more money. Nothing is guaranteed. I'm making the most of it while I can and it seems to be getting better and better this time.

What is wrong with that?

Wow. Maybe more details as to why you were late and that you had called first or something?? But when I was working we would wait, holding up the day's testing or whatever because someone was late.
You sound like the guy that wanted to fire me. Does " he's the only one that gets anything done" ring a bell? I guess if I was late it would slow things down as I was the only one doing anything!

MSCH,

How do you feel about the UAW strike and 40% raise they want ?
they probably deserve it. the old Bob Seger song, Feel like a Number applies when a person works for them not too mention they took a give aways back when the auto companies went the bankruptcy bailout route. so even if they managed to get a 10% raise each year for the next 4 years it wont put them back where they were would be my opinion..

I don't see this working out for them in the long run . They may get a big raise but it's going to hurt the company down the road . Then what ? Pension ?

Happening where I consult at. 275->252 employees over a last two weeks. Been laid off a two times over my 30+ year career. Always led to another great opportunity .

My assignment/hours won’t pick up again till Jan 2024 at that client.

Yes, I survived about a dozen of them from 95-2011 working for a public company.

I was the one laying guys off and it was terrible.
Never had to lay off, but had to fire people that were a bad fit. I told them - your a good person but this job isn't for you, I can give you some number of days pay and you walk out now, or you can go home and start looking for a job and your job for the next 30 days is to find a new job, and you can tell them your still employed here - easier to get a job when you have a job.

All but one of them called me nasty names and threw a fit. Which actually made it much easier - i tried to help you, your too stupid to realize it. The one that took the deal found a job right away, one that was likely better for his skill set anyway.

You sound like the guy that wanted to fire me. Does " he's the only one that gets anything done" ring a bell? I guess if I was late it would slow things down as I was the only one doing anything!
Hahhahahahahaha

That's funny. I merely suggested calling in so all the productive people could get something done rather than standing by waiting for the safety officer.

I’ve seen a lot of people complain about the increased cost of living. It’s as if UAW workers feel they are the only ones hurting.

40% wage increase is nuts. What will it do to an already over priced Chevy/ GM 1500?
I agree 40% seems a lot. So how much labor cost is in that vehicle now? Is management going poor too?

I worked at Dell as a temp many times. 90% of their workforce were temp. You could only work so many hours (about 6 months) then wait 3 months before you were allowed to come back. By the last week you were eligible to buy into their health insurance. How you going to pay for it with out a job?

I survived a couple, but knew they were coming years in advance . Never worried because I had offers from other departments to move to a different platform doing the same thing. I took some vacation time between them once, but mostly just moved my desk stuff from one floor to another. Actually, once I didn't even change desks, just changed my sig on my email from A-6 to EA-6B :giggle:.
I've been very lucky and blessed, but that luck came from competence and reputation, blessed comes from grace.

Bottom line all employees want to make more money. You really can’t blame them…

Example:
Pilots at American Airlines recently got a very nice raise (union contract) and now all the flight attendants also want a nice raise similar to the pilots.

Next will be all the mechanics / machinists at American Airlines wanting pay increase similar to the pilots and flight attendants or they go on strike if they don’t get a good contract.

” Last week, American Airlines' pilots approved a new contract that includes more than $9.6 billion in total pay and benefits increases over four years “

Last edited:
Layoffs have a positive effect to make sure you keep yourself marketable, relevant and always looking for better opportunities within your company or elsewhere.

Layoffs have a positive effect to make sure you keep yourself marketable, relevant and always looking for better opportunities within your company or elsewhere.

Also keeps you out of stupidity like using credit on consumer debt (cars, phones, etc) especially when you have cash to buy something you can actually afford.

Also keeps you out of stupidity like using credit on consumer debt (cars, phones, etc) especially when you have cash to buy something you can actually afford.

I tell younger folks exactly what you wrote and to always keep your eyes open for better opportunities and pay.

Relevant education, training and skill sets will always keep you in demand and you will be able to choose the jobs you want.

Last edited:
I tell younger folks exactly what you wrote and to always keep your eyes open for better opportunities and better pay.

Relevant education, training and skill sets will always keep you in demand and you will be able to choose the jobs you want.

Solid advice to any younger person Dave Hess.

2 questions I've had from younger folks stick out in my mind.

Somebody asked me "When do you look for a new job?" and my reply was - "Every day of my life. "

Another person came to an interview and studied my history/linked in profile - he asked me how I was able to rise to the top of each company I worked for and my answer was to hold myself to a higher standard than the company did.

Back