Ever climb into the wrong car by mistake?

I did once when I parked at the mall in 1991. Did not lock the car. 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass that I bought brand new.
Walked out and climbed into another Cutlass, same exact color. Put my key into the ignition and could not start the car.
Then I looked around and it was not my car. Mine was parked a row or two over from their car. :(

Only once. Somebody else with a light blue Pontiac 6000 parked not far from the one I was driving. The squeaky door hinge and the different steering wheel clued me in pretty quickly that it was the wrong car.

A rental car parked at Hoover Dam. I rented a Camry but got into an Altima. Both were a dark slate grey. Glad I didn't get punched.

Not just got in, but drove off. About 30 seconds down the road I wondered why there was a baby seat in the back, since I don't have kids.

Turned around and parked it. Identical 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, down to the color and tires, had parked next to mine. Didn't realise it and got in the wrong one. Same key unlocked and started both.

At least there wasn't still a kid in the seat, I guess.

My mom’s first car was a VW Bug in that beige color and she always tells the story of how she hopped in the car after coming out of a local department store only to find a stranger sitting in the passenger seat of not her car. Her car was apparently 2 spots away. She apologized profusely.

Never made it into the wrong vehicle, but did try to get into a black Durango about two months ago. It was sitting right next to mine and looked identical on the outside. I couldn't figure out why touching the door handle wouldn't unlock the doors. I took the fob out of my pocket and pushed the unlock button and I heard the doors unlock on the Durango behind me.

Decades ago, as a valet, I had to pull up a red Tempo. The previous valet didn't write the space number on the ticket so I had to run the lot to find it. I came a cross a red Tempo, key opened it up and started the car. The guest got in and drove away only to come back a couple minutes later saying it wasn't his car! Parked that one, found the right one and all was good, but all of us thought it crazy that the right keys opened up and started the wrong car.

Reactions: wlk
Years ago, probably 1998 or 1999, I had a Ford Contour as a rental car. There was an identical car in the hotel parking lot. My key opened the car. Of course, about the same time the "owner" came out (it was also a rental) and asked what I was doing.

We swapped stories and I asked him to see if his key worked in "my" car.

It did not.

I could unlock the doors and start the car (no PATS) but he couldn't even get into mine.

I did once when I parked at the mall in 1991. Did not lock the car. 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass that I bought brand new.
Walked out and climbed into another Cutlass, same exact color. Put my key into the ignition and could not start the car.
Then I looked around and it was not my car. Mine was parked a row or two over from their car. :(
Yep! A very similar situation as yours. My car at the time was a silver 1977 Ford Pinto.

Last time we took our Mercedes in it had to stay overnight so they arranged a loaner car. I let the Mrs Galt drop off the car after work and drive home the loaner. All went well and they told her the loaner was outside the service door and the keyless key was in the car and she could just take it as all our info was in the system. So she got in it, pushed the start button and drove the 25 minutes home all the while thinking what a nice loaner car they gave her.

I’m home and get a call from the dealership that she just drove off with a $150,000 car that they had brought around to prep it for delivery. Her loaner was the MB SUV behind it. They are frantic but I know my wife will not have sync’d it with her phone and won’t answer her phone when driving otherwise. She gets home and wow, what a beautiful ride she got. I should have taken pictures. She drove it back to them fuming because of the mixup but I’ll bet she never drove more carefully.

No, but once I couldn't figure out why my key didn't work. Took a minute before I realized that it was simply an identical looking car (and when I looked, the wrong plate).

I’ve gone to the wrong car because it was identical, but not inside. I think I’ve pulled the door handle on the wrong car…

Seeing how i only drive dented up beaters that you rarely see the same year and model on the road I've never gotten in the wrong car. It's pretty easy to identify the Mitsubishi with mismatched tail lights and a custom front bumper or the van with peeling paint over the plastic trim and rusty spots or the 380,000 mile Jetta with a faded hood dents on the driver's side from other people changing lanes without looking (it's happened twice now)

Maybe someone will start stalking me now that they can find me with decent accuracy 🤔

I Imagine in the 1920s when Henry Ford’s Model T was available in any color as long as it was black this was a reoccurring problem.

My great grandpa likes to tell the story of when he was in front of the car "cranking it over", and then when he went to go hop in he noticed the car's rightful owner sitting in the drivers seat. The owner gave a hefty squeeze on the ah-ooha bulb right in my great grandpa's face, and then puttered away laughing.

Great grandpa's model-t was a couple of hitching post's over. How embarrassing!

Back