Ever been fired? Laid off or let go?

I have been extremely blessed or lucky that in almost 50 years of working I never experienced any of the three. My sister in law and ex brother in law just got let go. One to downsizing and one to moving his job to Mexico

How about you?

Yep. 17+ years in healthcare manufacturing (Hospital Supply Chain) for a company that never left the Fortune top 20 (and was down in the 10's a few times) for the entire 17 years.

Along came a spider, and sat down beside her (Uncle Sam shut down all the hospitals back in 2020, 'member?) and frightened Miss Muffet away. We manufactured custom surgical kits. When you can't sell a surgical kit for a year, bad things happen when you are in that business.

Severance was ok (1/2 year salary). They also sprung for insurance for a calendar year. I miss the 6 weeks of PTO and 10 company holidays. I think I miss the 4 day work week the most. I also miss being able to buy high mileage but newer company cars for cheap cheap cheap. I bought several Tauruses from them. 3 years old, 70-85k miles - under 4k. Drive one 2-3 years, sell it for 3-4k. That perk actually mostly ended about 2015. And they started using mostly Escapes. Escapes were uncomfortable.....

Good news is - I love the new job. No more corporate BS. No more endless meetings. No more doing stupid stuff that had zero impact (or maybe even negative impact) just for the sake of "we need to complete 45 process improvement projects to make our plant goal this year, and next year it will be 50"

Twice. Once because I took 2 days too many off of work when my mother passed away from cancer whilst in the middle of the school year when teaching.
Second was when I was a supervisor at a production facility and I had my set schedule on 2nd shift when I was training. My manager and I had talked about my training and I was to be done by 1130p-12a each night. There came a day when a supervisor had schedule vacation that was on the calendar for 3 months. Manager comes up to me when I first come on shift and says I have to stay until 3am (the next shift coming in) because the supervisor was out. I reminded him of our conversation about the time I could stay late. He just said okay and walked away. I stayed until midnight and left (there was another supervisor on shift who also knew my schedule). I had 2-3 days off and came back in for my regularly scheduled shift start time. Got called into plant super's office....super, HR lady, and manager are in there. HR tells me that it may not be working out after all and that I probably shouldn't be there anymore. I said, whoa, what? you guys reached out to me about this job, I had also talked to my manager about my end shift time, and this was already talked about.
Super starts going in about how "we need to work as a team and cover each other and if we have to stay, we have to stay!"
I said, "so, when I have it in text and email from my manager that 12a is my end shift right now, that doesn't mean anything?"
"Well, I mean, sometimes things happen and we have to help cover last minute!"
"So.......................his vacation has been on the calendar since before I started here (6 weeks prior), you're telling me that him being gone was last minute?"
"Well, I mean, uh, well......"
"So, you're telling me that my manager is a lying sack piece of shat worthless corksucker or he's so incredibly inept that he can't manage the vacation schedule and is thus verily screwing someone else over because he can't do his job? What are we saying here exactly...?"

HR Lady: "yeah, this probably isn't a good fit...."

Me: "Oh, you are definitely correct, it's not a good fit because I don't fit in with worthless sacks of crap who lie and weasel about things when they're proven wrong and inept so it screws me over. I'll leave my stuff on the manager's desk. Unbelievable."

When unemployment called a few weeks later asking for some more details on the situation, I filled them in. The guy on the phone was silent for like 30 seconds and just goes, "dang, what the crap dude!?"
I goes, "oh yeah, like I said, I have texts and emails from manager confirming the schedule and how i was good to go, etc."

He calls back a few days later and goes, "they didn't even try to contest the unemployment....they know they f'ed up in all directions."

About 2 years later, I saw one of the fellow supvs at a chinese buffet and was talking with him. About 6 months after I left, the manager got canned, then 6 months after that, they got bought out by another company and the plant super and HR lady were both canned because of how inept they were. :ROFLMAO::cool::poop:

4 years ago. The railroad is a numbers game and it comes around occasionally until you’ve got enough seniority to stay above the line for the needs of the company.

No, but I walked off jobs, and told a few bosses to shove it when they messed with my pay plan.

I have been extremely blessed or lucky that in almost 50 years of working I never experienced any of the three. My sister in law and ex brother in law just got let go. One to downsizing and one to moving his job to Mexico

How about you?
About 25 years ago, I was unemployed for about 10 minutes.

I was an instructor for a Sun Microsystems education partner. Sun "fired" them for not booking enough classes. I was always busy teaching, so I just went out on my own for a while before joining the new reseller.

Stayed with them until April of 2000 when I went to work for Sun Microsystems directly. Been with them/Oracle ever since.

But I've seen others fall to that fate around me (StorageTek engineers, not many using tape these days) as well as folks at various customer sites.

It's always a gloomy day when it happens. Even when it doesn't happen to you.

I'm close enough to retirement that I was thinking being the "Kitten Librarian" might be a good step-down job before I fully retire.

Never laid off but walked away from a couple in my early years. Always a good decision. Both places eventually went under.

How about you?
Yeah I was working at Frontier Airlines as a techical writer in the "maintenance programs " department. I was hired due to having a Bachelor's degree in Journalism with a minor in aviation management, along with an aviation background. The job was for a technical writer, but the more that I went along they seemed to need engineering skills which I'm not an engineer. Covid more or less sealed the deal with layoffs as 1/3 of the company was given the boot. I'm still hoping to find something better paying and aviation related soon.

Yep... 11 yrs at a dealership.. one day they made a decision that deleted my position in the service dept and gave me the boot.
They called back three months later because it was a wrong decision and added that position back to the work flow and offered me my job back.
I had already moved on , ended up being a blessing in disguise.

I worked for a lubricant company for 43-years in R&D. The last 6-years under a new owner. I didn't like the direction the company was headed so I I took another offer of a similar job with a competitor. I was there for 3-years when they formed a joint venture with a major oil company and I was laid off. By chance, the day I was laid off, the first company offered me an R&D manager position in my specialty at about 30% more money. I jumped on it and I still work there...the catch is all this happened after I reached retirement age.. The first 43-years were smooth sailing.

I worked for a lubricant company for 43-years in R&D. The last 6-years under a new owner. I didn't like the direction the company was headed so I I took another offer of a similar job with a competitor. I was there for 3-years when they formed a joint venture with a major oil company and I was laid off. By chance, the day I was laid off, the first company offered me an R&D manager position in my specialty at about 30% more money. I jumped on it and I still work there...the catch is all this happened after I reached retirement age.. The first 43-years were smooth sailing.

Sometimes in life the sun, moon and planets align.

Been laid off a few times. Kind of sucks but it is what it is. Here's the one that was maybe the oddest, but turned out OK in the end.

Once was at a large Fortune 500 tech company at the time, where our division was being sold. We were in constant communication with the CEO of the company intending on buying the division, with talks about how we would fit in with the new company. We were all issued an agreement for retention bonuses for staying with the division, although some people left. I did proactively interview (with the possibility that the company might just write off the division) although I had no offers. Some people left, including some who were on H-1B visas. Theoretically the purchase was for employees in addition to the product and research. We all gathered for another communications meeting with the CEO and he was noticeably broken up. He was really apologetic, said that he was still going through with the sale, but that few employees would be joining him. We also found that he had negotiated a lower price on the sale because of some strange reason.

Then HR came in and came up to everyone who was laid off. It wasn't everyone (maybe 80%) and it seemed like nobody in the division knew about it, including the division general manager at our site, was also laid off. I'm not sure the criteria for staying on, but they apparently were trying to maintain a skeleton crew to maintain the IP and some development, but I think that was coordinated with the new company and HR. The package was actually quite good. Everyone laid off got an additional 3 weeks severance pay and legally there was a 60 day notice - probably because of the WARN Act where they didn't make the announcement until we found out. Most of us actually went out that day and had lunch or even a beer and came back. They didn't really care, but wanted anyone with a notice to get their personal stuff in boxes. I fit all my personal effects in a single moving box.

We would also be provided medical for 3 months past the end of the notice period. But we weren't required to come back to work (unless asked to) and anyone who got a notice was required to turn in their badges. We were also provided access to employment assistance, including classes on job seeking and company computers with internet access - at a time when some people didn't have that at home.

I was asked to come back for one day to document the work that I had done. My immediate manager wasn't laid off and worked with me on where my work was located. It wasn't a huge issue while I was still there but they needed to know after I left.

I actually found a job within 60 days. I asked someone in HR what would happen and they said they didn't particularly care if we double dipped, although theoretically they could call us back and cancel anyone's layoff. The answer was to not worry about it unless it actually happened. I had a signing bonus with the new employer and my severance and uncashed vacation was paid off at the end of the 60 day notice. And it was great because I kept on getting paid normally. Then within a month we all got the retention bonus. So it turned out pretty nicely.

Back