Ever been fired? Laid off or let go?

Laid off 2 times over and 3rd they stopped contract work.

Once in Civil Engineering first job 4 years in, once in IT consulting (foreign company closed doors) and finally a 10 year contract role ended and the company in parallel laid off employees.

I have hoarded money for 3 months of expenses and allergic to any consumer debt because of this.

My last boss threatened to fire me during his first and last tirade with me. I told him it was nice to finally get some feedback from him. I submitted my 2 weeks less than a month later when I had my current job lined up.

*I have no ill against them. My neighbor wanted some work done and I suggested them to him.

I love the best part of takeovers is when "hatchet men" just get rid of say, the top 5 or 10 or 15 salaries in the facility, just by $ alone. Maybe some were not good, but many got there by being good.

I'm not sure I fit into that, but I was at a place where I'd been for a long time (at a large company that was spun off into a startup). Won't get into too many details other than someone was brought in to try to keep the place afloat long enough to hopefully find a buyer or form a merger. My manager worked remotely and called me up. My division head (my former manager) worked onsite and came over. He said that he fought for my job and couldn't sleep at nights for a week, but the new CEO was intent on cutting jobs. I'd been there for a long time and they tried to make my exit as smooth as possible. I had two months notice (not a WARN Act issue since we were small) and I was expected to come to work if they needed me for anything.

I did have the flexibility to look for a job during the day or even conduct phone interviews during work hours. If I had an onsite interview anywhere, I think I could have done that without being docked any pay or vacation time as long as I told someone. One day I was feeling sick and used sick time, which can't be cashed out like vacation. At that point I really only had a few things I needed to document, but it seemed like they were just giving me a paycheck for two months as a courtesy. There were others given their notice the same day as me who might have had a week. It was nice fitting into a routine of going to work, even if it felt kind of weird.

It did get kind of weird because the new CEO came to the office every day. I don't think he knew who I was, because once (after I'd known of the layoff) he walked by me and asked "How are you doing?" I politely responded but I was thinking he either didn't know my name or was clueless. He moved on and I found out that he'd been fired from a different CEO position for "conduct" issues that were supposedly unrelated to his job.

On my last day they took me out to lunch and paid for it at a place I asked to go. That was pretty nice.

I was laid off once and for one year worked out of the Teamsters line drivers local. I made the most money I ever made per month doing the work. Doing a San Leandro to Salt lake city sleeper team and one day local would get me more that a weeks pay at the forklift company though it was really harder but lots of fun finally a competitor forklift company called me up and gave me the best money and benefits plus treated me like gold job, so the lay off was a win, win for me. My dad was a union plumber and he would only work for about 8 moths per year he made awesome money . Dad Taught me to live with in my means and have a rainy day fund so when something happened it was a bump in the road and maybe even pleasurable and not a jump off a cliff

Last edited:
ZZman,

People on TV say everything is sunshine and roses.
1% rich folks do NOT understand the ‘worker ants’ struggling to keep their heads above water.

Lots of job losses in the past year from some very big, well paying companies…… and constant talk of no recession / soft landing / everything just fine / tons of unfilled jobs everywhere, etc….

Daily Job Cuts website.

Tv news is pretty much propaganda and lies. [tv dumbs down the masses to keep the natives from getting restless if they actually learned the truth.]

It happens, to me most of the jobs I had early on ended up being companies going out of businesses, merger related layoff, and then a couple times I screw up and I ran away after getting bad performance, etc (I know, I was immature).

Every time it take a bit of a mental toll but that's also opportunity to grow and try new things. I am fortunate enough to save some nested egg so I am not too stressed financially other than a minor set back, and if I did something I wasn't proud of in my past job I have a new opportunity to start clean without negative impression in the new place.

I surely hated the whole interview process. But my last one was pretty sweet. Worked there 16 years and retired, so..........

I've done interviews that the company really wasn't looking to hire, just get ideas. WTH??? One interview they paid me for some help. Amazing.

Back