European Tools via Amazon - New Lug Wrench

Isn't Gedore an Indian Harbor-freight quality company?
That’s scary if they do. I’ve never had a tool made in India last very long at all. The Harbor Freight wrenches I had were India made I bent just about everyone of them before I took the set home and got something better. I’ve had Chinese last longer. Nothing against country of orgin but they need to work on making their tools better.

Since 2018, the GEDORE Group has run two product lines under the world-famous brand: GEDORE and GEDORE red. With them, the manufacturer fulfils the GEDORE promise to offer every customer the right tools for individual desires and requirements. GEDORE meets the requirements of industry and trade: with high-quality tools that often perform even beyond the requirements of the standard, with customisations and special products. The launch of the second product line GEDORE red is an alliance of production, quality and market requirements. By concentrating on the essential and applying smart approaches, GEDORE red is able to offer reliable professional tools that are a clever choice for professionals and DIYers without having to miss out on a quality manufacturer's performance promise.
Gedore has factories in Germany, Austria, UK, South Africa, and Brazil. The India factory was shut down over 10 years ago, from what I have read.

Recently received from Amazon a Gedore Red combination wrench set that’s India COO. Compared to all the other Red products I own, quality is definitely lower. Lots of forging inclusions and surface porosity. Beams are not that straight. This is also the first Red product I’ve received that was not made in Taiwan. Those products generally at least on Appearance and Functionality, are on-par with Traditionally Gedore Germany COO. I suspect Gedore contracts these out (as I think they do for some of the Red Taiwan products). The old Gedore plant as mentioned above was shut down a long time ago.

Years ago Gedore had a second string line called Rahsol, they were German made and quality steel but had very very low end finishing, they got rid of that name and came out with Carolus that appear today to be the same as the red line.
The best Gedore were when they were sold under the Dowidat name, I still have a few of these tools. GE-DO-RE is an acronym of GEbrüder DOwidat REmscheid = Dowidat brothers Remscheid (the city they are made in).

I've ordered a few times from amazon.de and never had issues. Some come via .uk, some come straight from Germany or Poland's fulfillment centers.
Also have ordered many times from Amazon UK and DE. Stuff arrives in about 10 days and they genuinely seem to want your business. European pressed vinyl LP's are usually a cut or two above (except GZ).

I have a set of Gedore box wrenches made in India. They must be 15-20 years old or older. I used them a lot when I actually worked on cars of my own more, and was surprised how strong and light they were. I see they are just straight cut not flank drive, worked ok.
23ED32C8-FB32-44A4-B32B-94B9BD488798.jpeg
A969201F-7CD1-4B69-B879-DD017BEBE11D.jpeg

Last edited:
Also have ordered many times from Amazon UK and DE. Stuff arrives in about 10 days and they genuinely seem to want your business. ..........
I have only ordered once from Amazon in Germany. The cheap cardboard packaging of my Hazet wrench set was in tatters when DHL delivered it to me.

Years ago Gedore had a second string line called Rahsol, they were German made and quality steel but had very very low end finishing, they got rid of that name and came out with Carolus that appear today to be the same as the red line.
The best Gedore were when they were sold under the Dowidat name, I still have a few of these tools. GE-DO-RE is an acronym of GEbrüder DOwidat REmscheid = Dowidat brothers Remscheid (the city they are made in).
I believe Carolus has been replaced by Gedore Red. I have both newer Carolus and current Red products and the packaging and actual parts look identical. Good quality tools. There were some great closesout Carolus tools on Amazon last year. Not much remains except the $9 SAE combo wrench set and some misc loose sockets.

I have only ordered once from Amazon in Germany. The cheap cardboard packaging of my Hazet wrench set was in tatters when DHL delivered it to me.
Before the pandemic I made a couple tool orders with Amazon.de and Amazon.IT Took about a month to deliver. Was getting stuff cheaper than what I could pay on my trips to Europe due to no VAT. That plus free shipping, and a real oddity being no local sales tax, which Amazon always normally charges. I’m sure the US distributor and retailers of these tools aren’t too thrilled about this grey market channel.
Since the pandemic with the associated air freight capacity issues and the rise of the EUR exchange rate. I don’t bother with Amazon.de.

Back