Ethernet has a Self-Assigned IP address

Coax. Connecting the outside cable coming up out of the ground to my inside wire at the box outside my house.

I have "certified 6A" ethernet cable.

Is there any reason to connect my 2 Sony's to the ethernet?

Any sort of weatherproof coupler that's of high quality should be fine. What's currently there? As @mk378 noted, make sure the cable is well shielded RG6.

On the Sony question, if these TV's don't have WiFi and subsequently aren't on the internet, yes, connecting them will allow them to get updates and stuff.

Don't waste money, just go slowly, connecting each device individually until you find out what cable breaks things.
I think I found it. You and mk378 alluded to it. Drum roll…I found a loop…snare followed by a cymbal.

Everything was working with the old original setup. I unplugged everything and started plugging cables into new switch. No workey. Unplugged and went back to old setup in a hurriedly pissed off and anxiety ridden moment and I inadvertently installed a short loop in the old system.

The 3 foot cable loop was thrown in the floor like dead snake. I was gonna chop its head off but logic overcame emotion. I did go get my wife to show her the victory.

Thanks to both of you!!!

These last few Ethernet cables are gonna be very hard to track down. Too many walls and no lights on the devices.

Can I get one of those tone things from Home Depot and use it to determine what line is what? I think I have determined
I am gonna have a few left over ethernet cables.
Well, one cable you definitely should have left over is the one you used to connect the two D-Link switches together ;)

You were given good advice for using the old switches to trace them down. You could do the same with the new switch. Unplug all of the "unknown" endpoints locally except one. Try one ethernet cable at a time, plugging into the switch, and then removing if it doesn't light up, until you find the one that goes live. Label it. Same procedure for the next one. This will allow you to identify and label which cable goes where.

I think I found it. You and mk378 alluded to it. Drum roll…I found a loop…snare followed by a cymbal.

Everything was working with the old original setup. I unplugged everything and started plugging cables into new switch. No workey. Unplugged and went back to old setup in a hurriedly pissed off and anxiety ridden moment and I inadvertently installed a short loop in the old system.

The 3 foot cable loop was thrown in the floor like dead snake. I was gonna chop its head off but logic overcame emotion. I did go get my wife to show her the victory.

Thanks to both of you!!!
You are quite welcome!

Glad to hear it was something simple :)

Any sort of weatherproof coupler that's of high quality should be fine. What's currently there? As @mk378 noted, make sure the cable is well shielded RG6.

On the Sony question, if these TV's don't have WiFi and subsequently aren't on the internet, yes, connecting them will allow them to get updates and stuff.
Here's a pic of the outside box. Your diagnosis? Obviously the orange is from the outside pole.

Attachments

• IMG_5403.jpg
    IMG_5403.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 18
That is all weatherproof, it looks like it was provided by the cable company. Keep the gray box closed as well.

And then the black cable which is connected to the orange one outside, goes directly to your modem?

And then the black cable from outside goes directly to your modem?
Ceiling tile frustrate me. I got so many cables. DirecTV, Dish, Shentel, DSL, LOL. From the last 24 years of old installs. It's a wonder my ceiling tile can support all the weight.

I'll check.

Also try to site them in the same rooms that have heavy WiFi usage. The two ports on the Eero can be used to pass through Ethernet to a TV or other device while it is also acting as a WiFi AP, so you can share one cable drop to the basement.
Not sure I understand. I have to use one ethernet port on the Eero base station to connect to the Arris modem and one to connect to the Netgear switch.

The ones upstairs also have two ports, which are presently unused, right? I was talking about hooking those up.

End results

Attachments

• IMG_5405.jpg
    IMG_5405.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5407.JPG
    IMG_5407.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 10
Everything is finally hooked up and running. I'm coughing up fiberglass and my shoulders and neck are really scratchy.

Now for the ceiling tile and insulation replacement.

I'm gonna check the main line from outside cable to the modem next. I may have a question or two. LOL

Great news! I have a direct line coming from outside to my modem.

And I was able to get one more ethernet run from the far bathroom to the switch. Ceiling tile all the way. Drilling the hole through
the ceramic tile was interesting. It really helped when I figured out to use this "special" $34 bit. HA!

Back