Esso Heavy Duty Anti-freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, anyone use this coolant? It is made and sold in Canada. It lists as EG-based, low silicate and phosphate and amine-free. I'm planning to use it on a Volvo 850 rad (aluminum with plastic end tanks). Thanks.

I used it for about three years in a Ford F250 4.9l(gas) and a Freightliner with the Cummins 5.9l(diesel). They both had aluminium/plastic rads. I had no issues with it. I made the switch to GO5 coolant and so stopped using Esso HD but it was not because the Esso gave me any problems.

Thanks for your reply.

Which G-05 coolant did you switch to? The Formula 1 Motomaster "G-05" compatible coolant from Canadian Tire in the gold jug? I used this a few years ago but noticed it was leaving powdery residue in several connection points (i.e. hoses, t-stat housing, reservoir) which were never touched/removed. And this was on 2 Volvo 850s. I have since switched back to Volvo coolant and didn't have this residue problem.

I noticed that Canadian Tire pulled out this coolant from the shelves earlier this year and this made me wonder if CT's G-05 coolant is really G-05 compatible.

Canadian Tire seems to be going in favor of 'All Makes' formulas. Parts Source will no longer be carrying Texaco conventional once current stock is sold (8 bucks a jug if you need any). They will have the non-name Autolab conventional coolant though according to the guy I was talking to.

Alex.

sounds like a Dexclone?
assimilation.gif

855T. I switched to Valvoline Xerex GO5 which I buy from a local jobber(Redfern Auto). I have not had any problems with white residue.

The 1999 Freightliner rad has GO5 in it now and the rad developed a small leak a few months ago. I added 4 GM seal tabs and that seems to have taken care of the leak. The leak was at the core/tank joint.

George, funny you mentioned that your rad is leaking at the core/plastic end tank joint. My 2 Volvo rads that ran G-05 compatible coolant for approx 2 years also developed a similar leak within months of each other. I have no idea if this is related to the G-05 coolant but the timing of it (i.e. both rads ran G-05 approx the same # of months before they started leaking) sounds uncanny.

I've gone back to the $$$ OEM coolant which is EG based phosphate-free. The Esso HD coolant is the only one I've found locally that is phosphate-free. Chevron EG coolant has a little phosphate in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back