Escaping High Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, South Dakota has no income tax, climate more like WI, and the Corn Palace in Mitchell! Seriously, I liked the Black Hills area but not the plains.

Don't move to Texas unless your ready to fight. We don't want or need any more liberals.
If you come from Ohio, Nevada, Michigan, New Jersy or God forbid California, you are guaranteed to get your feelings hurt. This of course will happen for years and years after the move.
Houston is a very nasty place to be. If you want to get told quick move to Houston.

Arkansas on the other hand is a beautiful place to live and the cost of living there is right. I'm sure the good people of Arkansas would love to have you guys. We don't want you.

You made your beds in the places you currently live, so stay there and lay in them.

Oh by the way....
The new plan here in Texas is to succeed from the Union and then Annex everything south of us. The United States can have the Canucks I would rather live with the guys South of the border anyway. At least those guys will work and have some common sense.
If you found this post offensive......shove it.

You make the naive assumption that everyone from those states is a liberal. Hope you were joking, otherwise the educational quality of your training (reflects poorly on TX) and narrow-sightedness of your comment is saddening.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Desnity-wise, yes. Go into any of the metro areas or places where the densities rival the population centers that tend to have very high taxes, and guess what?

So you are saying that density CAUSES high taxes?

Density causes the need to control and support the population. Somebody has to pay for all the kids in the schools, all the police, fire department... there likely are no septics or wells in high density areas - so then you get to pay for sewer and water... If the area is widespread with popualtion, you cant dump trash locally, what happens to it?

With a denser area, there are more costs associated with operations, purely because there are more people. I highly doubt that the per person property tax (a made-up value dividing property tax by people on the "lot") in a high-rise apartment building is the same as the per-person property tax in single homes in a more spread-out area. What happens then? A shortfall? Who makes up for the supposedly "deserved" services such as water, sewer and trash removal, let alone schools?

Do you really think those are the reasons for high taxes and people leaving?

So what is?

I say absolutely. Need to give handouts to control the population. Taxes and then by extension, welfare and similar programs are a means of those who have money, keeping the "undesirables" off their lot.

Give some creature comforts, keep the infrastructure going, and the people who you wouldnt want in your neighborhood reasonably happy, and you have the status quo.

Handouts are good for reasons beyond buying votes... for some.

I have no problem with taxes in that I cannot do better on elsewhere. Supposedly lower-tax PA, to live in a town/district that is like where I grew up and like where I live now meant the same costs for homes, property tax, etc. What benefit do I have? Slightly lower income tax, but no reciprication on my city wage tax (so it comes out in the wash)? 1% sales tax savings?

Property tax is lower in DE, but living in a "nice" area means having your kids bussed in order to integrate schools. This means that most send their kids to private school. 100% of the folks that I work with that have kids in DE do this. Nice expense there...

So what is my compelling benefit to live in a supposedly cheaper state? I still pay the same to get what I want... And I have cheaper gas and a FAR better commute (both equal far lower mobility costs), living in this "expensive" tax to death area.

Show me what is compelling, I sure am not seeing it in my local area, leat alone the Auburn, AL and Raleigh, NC examples I showed previously...

I also have no problem with taxes that provide me with infrastructure that suits me. I have public water, sewer and trash collection... Somebody has to pay for that. I have an awesome town pool that is beautiful... Got to pay for that. I have to have decent schools for my kids to go to... Got to pay for that.

Originally Posted By: n5ifi
...Oh by the way....
The new plan here in Texas is to succeed from the Union and then Annex everything south of us...

Your memory is poor. We already fought that war and you lost.

wink.gif

Clark

I have public water, sewer and trash collection...

Many cities fund those out of a separate fund (often called something like "enterprise fund") which is funded with utility bill revenue (water/sewer/trash bill), not taxes.

Quote:
I also have no problem with taxes that provide me with infrastructure that suits me.

And that is your prerogative. I must say that I find it odd that you would complain about the prices that lawyers and doctors charge for actually providing you with a service, but you seem to have no problem paying "problem" people tax money not to be a "problem".

Originally Posted By: Tempest
... you would complain about the prices that lawyers and doctors charge for actually providing you with a service...

Lawyers that provide you a service?

1)Via class action lawsuits that give them 200k and me 82.5 cents on a $10 rebate settlement.

2)Via raising medical cost indirectly by forcing doctors to pay 30% of their income as malpractice insurance.

3)Via the crooks in the Federal Elected officials that you hated so much?

4)Via ambulance chasing to try to convince my friend to sue the others after a rear end accident? and disappear once finding out that the others are uninsured motorist?

Don't move to Texas unless your ready to fight. We don't want or need any more liberals.
If you come from Ohio, Nevada, Michigan, New Jersy or God forbid California, you are guaranteed to get your feelings hurt. This of course will happen for years and years after the move.
Houston is a very nasty place to be. If you want to get told quick move to Houston.

Arkansas on the other hand is a beautiful place to live and the cost of living there is right. I'm sure the good people of Arkansas would love to have you guys. We don't want you.

You made your beds in the places you currently live, so stay there and lay in them.

Oh by the way....
The new plan here in Texas is to succeed from the Union and then Annex everything south of us. The United States can have the Canucks I would rather live with the guys South of the border anyway. At least those guys will work and have some common sense.

http://www.superpoop.com/042709/texas-secession.jpg

Quote:
Lawyers that provide you a service?

I have no love for a lot of lawyers (there aren't all bad), but they still provide a service. What you posted has nothing to do with the focus of my post.

Oh by the way....

Oh my friend I have news for you, I can move to Texas anytime I want to and NO ONE can stop me. I have probably already lived in Texas more years than you are old. Oh and by the way, I'm bringing my NRA membership and all my guns with me. See you at the border.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05172009/business/piling_on_the_taxes_169743.htm
Quote:
The staggering amount of nuisance fees -- from the 62 new surcharges included in the most recent state budget to the existing, nagging fees like ATM charges and cell phone add-ons -- range from an extra $250 a year in increased bridge and tunnel tolls and $230 in jacked up cigarette taxes to $3.50 for paying your Con Ed or Verizon bill by phone.

Around $1500 a year.
Quote:
In fact, there are 36 new or increased fees under $15 passed by Albany. Included in that pile of surcharges is a covered-lives assessment on insurers and a 0.35 percent surcharge on hospitals. While these new fees are said to be aimed not at consumers but at corporations, Kellermann said they were even worse than straight out new taxes.

"They are more pernicious, they're hidden and will certainly be passed on to consumers," she said.

In addition, City Hall is weighing an increase in the city sales tax plus a tax of 5 cents for every plastic bag toted out at checkout.

I love it... When the states that are getting this influx get as populated as the "higher tax" states, guess what will happen? Things will go down the tubes there too.

Exactly

More half truths.

Those states compete with other states and win.

Why did Honda do so well at introducing an auto manufacturing facility? Because they weren't opening up in downtown Detroit and hiring 50 year old workers. They were getting subsidized by state GOVERNMENTS in the form of tax breaks and hiring 20 year old workers.

Now let's have ALL states do the same thing, and what are you going to pull out of your behind to attract a larger share of a shrinking resource pool?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Oh my friend I have news for you, I can move to Texas anytime I want to and NO ONE can stop me. I have probably already lived in Texas more years than you are old. Oh and by the way, I'm bringing my NRA membership and all my guns with me. See you at the border.

Now that's a true Texan there.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
I have public water, sewer and trash collection...

Many cities fund those out of a separate fund (often called something like "enterprise fund") which is funded with utility bill revenue (water/sewer/trash bill), not taxes.

In alternative view... some boroughs use these fees to reduce property taxes (or their increases). Essentially cost redistribution. In our town the water and waste treatment authorities produce biggest revenue stream for the borough council. Property taxes and EIT aren't all that high (compared to school taxes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back