this digital age...

Oz is going all digital when it comes to dealing with agencies, tax etc. Do my Income Tax return, and within 2 minutes, get a letter from child support, revising the amount payable (well deducted from wages).

Last week, got a letter from Child Support - thought I'd never get one again, as Son turned 18, and the case was "closed"...turns out that there's never closure...which I sort of knew, as when the ex FINALLY does her tax, there's going to be a reconciliation of my overpayments...I've seen that catch up with people who have failed to do their tax for decades until their kids are safely over 18...

I digress.

So last week got a letter from child support, stating that they had changed prior year's income (2018/19), and I owed money...I paid, in good faith while I worked out what was going on...not doing CS is about the worst thing you can do.

Then checked my tax...and yikes, the last 4 years were recalculated, and $10s of Ks of new tax debt that miraculously appeared in the last week...no letters from Tax (remember CS is instant)...rang tax, and they couldn't tell me what had changed, nor triggered this new assessment...directed to wait until the paperwork caught up, and that would explain a) the trigger, and b) the quantum.

Went to work and started asking a few questions, and appeared I was oinly one impacted.

Monday rolls around, and there's outcry, as there's dozens of people affected, they heard through their tax agents when the bills started rolling into their agents...remember, Child support acts instantly.

Finally, itcomes to light that the Superannuation company (retirement savings 401???? in your parlance) sent a file to the ATO, that contained an error...which triggered a recalculation of 4 years tax, up to nearly $50k for people that I know, and triggered a load of agency deductions and automatic nasty letters.

Digital is forever it seems...and nothing is behind you.

Going digital / the cloud / anything automated is a bit like moving from hand tools to power tools. The mistakes can be made all the faster. Great when it works, confounding when it doesn't.

I think in the US IRS wants you to keep 7 years of records and they do find mistakes, try to "fix" your mistakes, and you can call them telling them they "fix" it wrong, etc, there is a life person.

I really wish our tax code is simpler, but that means corruptions and lobbying can't hide their giveaway, so it will just never happen. Almost impossible to know how much you are tax until the year after.

I'm sure in near future they will microchip people ... and will automatically fine you if you buy anything thicker than 0W-8.

Shannow did you sell your Colorado?

I'm sure in near future they will microchip people ... and will automatically fine you if you buy anything thicker than 0W-8.

Shannow did you sell your Colorado?
No need for micochips - you have a smart phone attached to you that does a far better job than a microchip would ever do.

Back