EPA and Customs confiscating 730 foreign engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Environmental Protection Agency and Customs and Border Protection stopped 62 shipments at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach in California -- confiscating a total of 730 foreign-made engines found to be without proper pollution control mechanism.

Some of the engines were found to have leaky fuel tanks, while others had faulty exhaust pipes and valves.

The confiscated vehicles and machinery included motorcycles, gas generators, ATVs, go-karts, lawnmowers, outboard motors and more.

Sounds like some regular imported low cost engines.

Quote:
Some of the engines were found to have leaky fuel tanks,

confused2.gif

Quote:
...and Customs and Border Protection stopped 62 shipments at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach in California

But yet they are not allowed to stop illegal immigration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

confused2.gif

Quote:
...and Customs and Border Protection stopped 62 shipments at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach in California

Exactly.

Some poor guy probably bought a vintage Honda 70 from Japan.. only to find out it was confiscated by the EPA and sent to the crusher.

Lawn mowers?? Did they confiscate some vintage Lawn Boys too?

Looks like I got my 265cc big bore kit just in time.

Relax EPA - it's a 1987 model. It doesn't have much in the way of emissions equipment anyway.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Good. The Chinese are killing our industries.

Exactly, it appears that the hammer is coming down on the
Chi-coms and their junk producing machine...
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

confused2.gif

Quote:

Ain't it funny ?

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Good. The Chinese are killing our industries.

That is a very shortsighted view, let's consider that there are currently no US manufactuer snowblower engines. Briggs, Honda, are all made overseas as well. This goes for most generator engines too. So, what? Suddenly they are going to reopened and build new plants because of this? That's foolish, it's simply going to result in a shortage of goods.

In this particular case, I agree if they were dangerous they should be stopped. But this comment was clearly directed also towards the stopment of shipments into the port of Los Angeles too. Which let's not forget affects our exports too, so in all it's not as good a thing as you seem to think it is.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
aahhh, that's why the shelves at harbor freight are all empty

Were they really?

Was it just the Chondas or the tools too? I haven't been there since New Years Eve. Bought an aluminum racing jack.
cool.gif

i don't know, i go to hf once in a great while.
it'd be hilarious if it were true.

great, I am glad my tax $$$ are hard at work in taking out highest threat to public health.
I guess they have to switch their focus to something else now that they can't seize Havanas any more.

I also heard some very good engines were being confiscated by the EPA. Some people wanted to repower their older VW with some of the diesels we never got. Replacing the 1.6 NA engine in a Vanagon with a more modern Euro-only engine would reduce smog, but the EPA doesn't seem to care.

I'm glad only the Chondas were destroyed. I would vomit at the sight of an RB26DETT being destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back