Emissions Standards Then and Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, before that. I could start my '66 Nova and then remove the key from the ignition, drive to where I wanted to go, then put the key into the ignition and stop the engine.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Olas
GM ignition switches killed hundreds.

We have to go easy on GM. They've been struggling with ignition switches since about 1967. Someday, they'll master it.

Like I mentioned in another thread, the last time I dealt with a GM with an ignition system that wasn't overly complex or totally obsolete in the vehicle in which it was in was a 1951 Chevy truck. One of the things that goes wrong in taxis is the ignition tumbler wearing out. You do not want to take apart one of those ubiquitous GM locking steering columns. They would have been well advised to leave the floor starter in place, at least until they mastered newer ignition key technology. In other words, they'd still have floor starters to this date.

My family and I pay substantial upcharges to live and work in 'clean' air. Clear ocean view is undeniably pleasant, too.
smile.gif

Retrofitted a $430 CARB-approved catalytic converter on my '96 1.8L Miata recently.
Could have bolted on a 48-state piece for ~$100 and still likely passed biennial tailpipe sniffer inspection.

Not a fan of those who elect to game the system.

VW.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back