entering canada with driving record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 555
[/quote]

Passport card is just a smaller passport.
When you go for just a few hours or a short period of time they suspect you of smuggling on both sides of the border.

Yes and no. You can travel by land only with the passport card, maybe by boat too. But if you travel by air you need a passport.

One time I went to Canada for work, crossed at Thousand Islands Bridge at about 7am. Came back to the US before 11am.

Was asked how long were you in Canada?
Looked at my watch, less than 4 hours.

Are you bringing anything back with you?
Yes, I have 48 12oz bottles of beer.

You know there is a duty on that, correct?
Yes, m'am.

I'm going to let that be for today, hands me my passport, have a nice day.
Thank you, have a nice day.

Originally Posted By: 555

Passport card is just a smaller passport.
When you go for just a few hours or a short period of time they suspect you of smuggling on both sides of the border.

Can't fly internationally on a passport card and it only works for a few North American countries. Its convenient wallet size and slightly cheaper price is what it has going for it.

I got one b/c my state was dragging its feet on "real ID" licenses and wanted to fly domestically.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
and frankly Canada (or any other country) has the right to set their own rules (as does the USA) on who gets in and who doesn't.

There is a north American free trade agreement in effect. But yes the USA lets other countries do what they want. But there is movement to rectify this.

NAFTA has zero to do with the scenario described - An non-work, pleasure trip to Canada.

NAFTA is asymmetrical. Travel policy is asymmetrical. Take your pick. We shouldn't have to tolerate that. The tail don't wag the dog.

Originally Posted By: xshoex
So I've had the itch to go to Canada for quite some time, and have a couple weeks coming up in a few months where I would like to. I have
reckless driving on my record. (2013). Did a wheelie on a halfway busy highway after work (1 sec wheelie). Cop got me. I admitted I was wrong, bored, practicing. I admit that. Went to court, thinking it was my first offense, no record, judge wasnt having it. Kept my license, got a few points, $700 fine. Immediately got rid of my bike after that ( was being alot more stupid, didnt want to risk my life). No tickets since, bike or car.

I know Canada border patrol is picky, all depends on whos working. Being this was almost 4 years ago, I have nothing sense, should I be ok to get in? I plan on flying in, I wouldn't be driving rental car. Either my friend would, or uber etc. I havn't pulled my background check to see if it would show up, sure it will, its a misdemeanor in Georgia, but it shows as the following on my driving record straight from the DMV

Description: UNSAFE OPERATION OF MOTORCYCLE
Violation Date: 10/21/2013
Accident Involved: No
Commercial Offense: No
Hazardous Material: No
Disposition Date: 12/17/2013
Disposition: CONVICTED
Jurisdiction: GA
Court: GLYNN STATE COURT

Description: RECKLESS DRIVING
Violation Date: 10/21/2013
Accident Involved: No
Commercial Offense: No
Hazardous Material: No
Disposition Date: 12/17/2013
Disposition: CONVICTED
Jurisdiction: GA

Am I better off just planning a vacation elsewhere, 'just in case'?

I know no one here is going to know for sure, but google is turning on multiple answers and opinions from other people

Thanks

Call the closest Canadian consulate and ask...

http://can-am.gc.ca/offices-bureaux/index.aspx?lang=eng

I think you'll be okay though...

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I believe Canada refuses people with DUIs. Can someone verify?

Yes, this is correct. Until you ask for forgiveness in writing and pay some serious change..

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I believe Canada refuses people with DUIs. Can someone verify?

Yes, Its only DUI. Third world terrorists are OK, its the drinking they're worried about.

After 10 years its OK. You can apply for a waiver after 2 years.

No, you're wrong. Third world terrorists aren't "okay" and yes, they'll drill your [censored] at the border if you have anything drinking and driving related. It's a bit unfair and decidedly one-sided as the U.S. doesn't seem to care nearly as much about Canadian convicted drunk dirvers...

Nice douche "terrorists" comment though...

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I never produce my license when crossing Canadian border. They peek at passport and let me go.

I am glad the Canadians keep folks like you on your toes.

They don't care about your license anymore, unless you have an "enhanced" one like mine. This removes the need for a passport or birth certificate...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
NAFTA has zero to do with the scenario described - An non-work, pleasure trip to Canada.

NAFTA is asymmetrical. Travel policy is asymmetrical. Take your pick. We shouldn't have to tolerate that. The tail don't wag the dog.

It's political. The U.S. was the party that became very restrictive in what was largely an open relationship between Canada and US trade and free passage of citizens, and then Canada retaliated. It was after 9/11, and I recall pretty freely entering Canada as a boy with nothing more than my parents flashing their NYS drivers licenses up into the 1990s.....

The 'test' in Canada is whether or not an offence committed overseas would be equivalent to a Canadian Criminal Code offence.

Driving under the Influence, for instance, is equivalent to a Criminal Code offense in Canada. Hence, foreigners convicted of DUI are not admissible to Canada without prior permission.

However, reckless driving, or unsafe operation of a motor vehicle may not have Criminal Code equivalencies, ie: they may only be offenses under provincial legislation. Hence, there may be no grounds to deny entry to Canada on that basis.

If in doubt, one can apply for a visa to enter Canada prior to arriving at the border through the consulates. They will examine any admissibility issues, and make a ruling accordingly. This will avoid any potential 'surprise'.

BTW, its my opinion that those offenses are *not* equivalent to Criminal Code offences in Canada, hence would not render you inadmissible.

If you are flying in, you don't have to have a passport to get in to Canada, but you definitely do to fly back into the US.

This is very untrue, especially for non-Canadians. Airlines won't even allow you to board the aircraft if you do not have a passport. Canadian citizens always have the absolute right of entry to Canada, passport or not, by any method of travel, but airlines are not obliged to accept, and generally will not accept you as a passenger if you do not have a valid passport.

I love Canada. They have never given me any problems crossing the border into their country. It's crossing back into the US that's a problem. Some of the border guards are decent, some are real [censored]. I'm just a truck driver doing my job and I understand they have a job to do, but no sense in being nasty about it and treating me like a lowlife. I must look like a criminal lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: pitzel
If you are flying in, you don't have to have a passport to get in to Canada, but you definitely do to fly back into the US.

This is very untrue, especially for non-Canadians. Airlines won't even allow you to board the aircraft if you do not have a passport. Canadian citizens always have the absolute right of entry to Canada, passport or not, by any method of travel, but airlines are not obliged to accept, and generally will not accept you as a passenger if you do not have a valid passport.

Which is airline policy - not Canada's policy. From CBSA's own websites on documents:

"A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document"

Note the may - which means other documents are allowed for US citizens for entry, which is the requirement (no may statement here).

Of course, check with your airline what they will require.

And yes, you must have a passport for re-entry to the US by air.

And I agree with the previous poster. Never an issue getting into Canada. Third degree on re-entry back the US though...

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I love Canada. They have never given me any problems crossing the border into their country. It's crossing back into the US that's a problem. Some of the border guards are decent, some are real ...holes. I'm just a truck driver doing my job and I understand they have a job to do, but no sense in being nasty about it and treating me like a lowlife. I must look like a criminal lol.

Years ago, it was similar here, in reverse, of course. Driving a Saskatchewan plated vehicle southbound would cause me to be waved at by a U.S. border officer. On the way back, it would be trouble, because the Canadian government can't allow us to have cheap tobacco or alcohol.

As for posts about officer discretion and there being clear laws on the matter, yes, there are clear laws on the matter. But, officer discretion does exist, like it or not. If an officer thinks you're inadmissible, you're going to be inadmissible, no matter what the law states. That's what appeals are for - none of which does you any good when you're turned away.

So, getting appropriate verification ahead of time is prudent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back