Bosch Reman Alternator

Bosch has its own reman factories around the world, this one was done in Michigan. I buy reman Bosch power tools that are also done by their own factory unlike most other manufacturers that have them done by a third party. Even if it was just returned say to HD for buyers remorse it has to go back to them and they go through it. Never had a bad one.

Makes me want to buy Bosch.

At least for alternators..

I am actually doing some alternator shopping myself, I've been asking some questions about outputs (I saw a 180 Amp unit, double what factory is) and also about this same type of thing. AutoZone came up in discussion. Advance Auto did as well. NAPA had two. Some of them cost $300. Cheapest is about oh $169. New vs used. Reman vs Premium Reman vs Duralast Gold. Vs Napa. Vs.. things like that.

Bosch seems to have very good rebuilding on alternators, perhaps better than other where you don't know how or where (Mexico?) the reman was done, as far as I know AutoZone their batteries come from Mexico so if they also do the work on core units to reman them..

I like this thread, is all I am trying to say.

I haven’t had great luck with Bosch reman alternators. I went through two AL157X on the Volvo 240 wagon in less than 12,000 miles. FCP replaced them at no change.

I then placed a Bosch reman 100amp Denso on the wagon. No issues yet.

The Bosch reman AL157X in the 240 sedan has over 50,000 miles with no issues.

Just to be safe I carry a Denso 100 amp with me on long trips. Remanufactured and tested by Rayelco Generator in Lodi NJ. Superb service.

I've been asking some questions about outputs (I saw a 180 Amp unit, double what factory is) and also about this same type of thing. AutoZone came up in discussion. Advance Auto did as well. NAPA had two. Some of them cost $300. Cheapest is about oh $169. New vs used. Reman vs Premium Reman vs Duralast Gold. Vs Napa. Vs.. things like that.
A standard, OEM replacement will have the same amperage output or maybe 10-15% more on remanufactured units. I think they'll still advertise it as the "stock" output but I've seen alternators come with printed reports indicating their actual, tested output. They simply aren't going to upgrade components when not needed for 95% of the market. Sure, there's a market for high-output alternators but those are for specialized applications (large audio systems, bunch of add-on electrical equipment (i.e. police car type duty)).

I looked at the Bosch remanufactured units for one of our cars, just out of curiosity, after Trav posted the link and it's only $147 or so. Just like with the car he was working on, the lead time was weeks though. For most people, they can't wait that long. Summit does have a Denso reman unit for $100 more dollars and it indicates it will ship "tomorrow" directly from Denso. Rockauto doesn't list any Bosch options for the car I checked. The best "name" brands they have are AC Delco ($195) and Denso ($283).

A standard, OEM replacement will have the same amperage output or maybe 10-15% more on remanufactured units. I think they'll still advertise it as the "stock" output but I've seen alternators come with printed reports indicating their actual, tested output. They simply aren't going to upgrade components when not needed for 95% of the market. Sure, there's a market for high-output alternators but those are for specialized applications (large audio systems, bunch of add-on electrical equipment (i.e. police car type duty)).

I looked at the Bosch remanufactured units for one of our cars, just out of curiosity, after Trav posted the link and it's only $147 or so. Just like with the car he was working on, the lead time was weeks though. For most people, they can't wait that long. Summit does have a Denso reman unit for $100 more dollars and it indicates it will ship "tomorrow" directly from Denso. Rockauto doesn't list any Bosch options for the car I checked. The best "name" brands they have are AC Delco ($195) and Denso ($283).
Yeah, my contacts told me that putting a higher amperage alternator on a stock application is not necessary, and actually may hurt because it may have low output at low RPM.

Forgot all about RockAuto, will have to look at Summit.

How do alternators fail? For me, might get a used one and have it tested (on a test unit at somewhere like Advance auto, they can test alternator output out of the car, unit on a machine.)

Typically, Bosch alternators that have been rebuilt by a Bih facility will come in a black box.
Yes and Bosch new also. I have a brand new starter and alternator on the shelf for VW MK IV cars made in Hungary (one of the biggest and oldest Bosch factories in Europe) also in a black box.

Summit Racing could use an ad campaign-- I got some Prius parts there and it's the antithesis of a race car.

They're basically Walmart of auto parts with both service parts and hot rod stuff like Chinese HEI distributors for 50-year old cars.

I bet a lot of people skip over them because they just want "normal" parts. I find them via google shopping most often.

Reactions: D60
Summit Racing could use an ad campaign-- I got some Prius parts there and it's the antithesis of a race car.

They're basically Walmart of auto parts with both service parts and hot rod stuff like Chinese HEI distributors for 50-year old cars.

I bet a lot of people skip over them because they just want "normal" parts. I find them via google shopping most often.
They recently had some 5qt jugs of Mobil Super at $13 to $14 per jug, and I almost purchased, simply adding enough to my cart for free shipping ($100), but it was still slightly more than I wanted to pay on a per-quart basis.

Then the price jumped to $17.99 where it sits now.

Point being, sometimes you can even find decent oil deals there

This ancient history. Compared to the Delco alts and Fomoco starters in my Grand Wagoneers, the Bosche 90 amp alternators and starters on my 80s BMWs were very stout. You could replace the brushes/regulator in the car. My 1st 528e went 350 K miles on its original alt. The starter's solenoid was taking 3 tries before engaging. So I bought a re-manned starter rebuilt by a Bosche outfit in the midwest and ate the core. Worked great til the end. I have no clue about Bosche's quality at present

I have a new Bosch from Rock Auto. ( no core return). I ordered it before the Ford OE was Kaput). Total down time was the time to change it out. The old Ford OE was making a nasty sound at 100,000 miles so I put in the order for the Bosch and it was shipped to me in under a week.

A while back I needed an alternator for my wife's Kia. My brother got me a brand new one from his rebuilder. It lasted a week. Then another, then another. I said what's up with these? They were chinese. Looked EXACTLY like the OEM alternator. I spent something like 14 more dollars for the Bosch and it lasted the rest of the time we had the car and the guy that owns it now is still on that alternator.

Back