Engine Start Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I searched for this but didn't find a clear answer. On the Oil 101 reading, "...90% of engine wear occurs at initial start-up...".

I might want to pick up a delivery job (college struggles are real) but I worry about excessive engine wear from turning over the engine many times in a short period. Is this something I'd need to worry about?

My car is an Acura TSX 2005 using Amsoil XL 5w-30 and an Amsoil Cone Filter EA series.

Most of that wear comes from COLD startup. Subsequent startups with a warm engine aren't as bad, other than maybe wearing out your starter and your battery.

I wouldn't worry too much about the engine itself.

Thanks for the quick reply, that's what I read through also: cold starts are the major cause of wear. But I didn't see much on simply starting the engine during its ideal warm conditions.

My TSX has 160-170k miles and still running strong, I dont want to pick up a job that will weaken its engine unnecessarily.

I'd never take on a job that involves wearing out my own car. Unless they provide a company vehicle,pass on that job and look elsewhere.

Yeah thinking about it again, unless it were high end delivery, its simply not worth the extra tip. Even if warm start ups aren't as bad on the engine. Thanks for the rplies guys

I thought I came across an sae paper pointing out that most wear occurs at load and acceleration?

Either way the Honda engines wear super easy your engine will handle it fine its your starter that's going to wear.

Yeah it's cold start-up. Once the engine reaches something approaching operating temp, any condensation and other byproducts of combustion are burned out of the engine...

The only thing about startup wear I don't see as a myth,is starting a cold engine and hammering it.

My Civic Hybrid stops and restarts the engine automatically every time I come to a stop. Has 220kmi and uses zero oil.

As others have said, don't worry about starts at/near operating temperature.

Most oils these days are pretty tenacious and cling to the metal pretty good.

If a car sits for days at a time where the oil can just drip off the metal due to gravity then starts become an issue.

I agree other parts will wear.

Though that is what your car was designed for. To be used. So use it.

Acura is a solid car. You will be fine.

Jeff

In my neighborhood a lot of people have mailboxes on their doors instead of out by the street. The postal carrier will walk up to the door, but (I assume) its their policy that they never leave their postal jeeps unattended and idling. So... you guessed it. Start up, drive 200 yards. Stop. Walk to door, walk back. Crank up, drive 250 yards. Stop. walk... crank... repeat... Its got to be brutal on the starters, but the engines don't seem to care at all since its hot startups.

Amsoil used to make a pre-oiler. I have not seen one in years so it's probably discontinued. Maybe an Amsoil dealer can chime in and tell us why it's no longer around.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd never take on a job that involves wearing out my own car. Unless they provide a company vehicle,pass on that job and look elsewhere.

I'd have to agree. Even at $.xx per mile, its still not worth it IMO. College is tough and you have to do what you have to do. Definitely explore other options.

As for starting wear, you'll be fine. They'll all be warm startups anyways so you'll be golden. I would recommend a nice dino oil with 3000 mile OCI's though. Short trippers (assuming its all local delivery) are hard on oil.. and that being said, there's not need for a $$$ synthetic.

Last edited:
Most engine wear occurs a start up compared to what?

That's a very significant question cause I've seen many frequently started vehicles for service work last a very long time. like 150,00 miles and no oil use. So whens all this wear going to occur, and compared to what?

Startup wear is overhyped. What if you had an oil that already had the engine covered BEFORE you start it up? That's what thicker oils do for you.

I'm interested where the 90% in 101 comes from, actual sources indicate that while still high, it's not 90%.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Most of that wear comes from COLD startup. Subsequent startups with a warm engine aren't as bad, other than maybe wearing out your starter and your battery.

I wouldn't worry too much about the engine itself.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back