Remote Start Warm Up Engine Wear

FMC

I see comments made about starting your car and letting it warm up for about 15min, and how this practice will cause premature engine wear, why would this be the case if its true ?

Thanks

The very cold lube (during very cold starts) does not circulate as well, but it's fairly minor relative to the next topic ...
The big issue for many cars/diesels in really cold temps is fuel wash; it's over-fueling of the cylinders to assure combustion during those very cold starts, and the consequence is fuel washing lube off the cyliders, increaseing piston/ring/cylinder wear.

Gone is the mentality of letting a car "warm up for 15 minutes". That's ol' skool thinking.

Here's today's reasonable approach:
- start it up
- let it run through it's "high idle" flair (which lights off the cats; typically 30-90 seconds)
- wait perhaps 15 to 30 seconds after the idle settles to normal
- double check your oil pressure gage or light; make sure the lube system is at least indicating that it has pressure
- drive away in a safe, sane, normal manner
This way, the engine will warm up faster under load than sitting idling in the drive for 15 min.

There is a balance to be struck; drive as soon as you can, without undue stress on the engine.

There you have it.

Engines warm up faster if they are under load, so IMO it's better if you are driving.
That said, I used to just start my vehicles and go but a few years ago the reverse band cracked in the trans of the Sport Trac I used to have. They're known for having weak trannys anyway but I have to think that my driving habits played a part. After getting the trans rebuilt I start my vehicles, wait for the idle speed to drop, then go.
Extended idling when cold IMO the engine is running longer before the oil gets up to temp. I'm not such a wuss that I can't go from my warm house to my cold truck and suck it up for ten minutes until it gets warm but I live in PA where the temp rarely goes below zero and not Montana where it gets -30.

It was a necessity with carburetors and straight 30 but those days are way gone.

Soccer moms across the country are just getting in, cranking it, immediately clunking it into gear, and punching it. The only people who let it warm up that long (unless it’s freezing and the ice on windows need to thaw) are just being neurotic.

The very cold lube (during very cold starts) does not circulate as well, but it's fairly minor relative to the next topic ...
The big issue for many cars/diesels in really cold temps is fuel wash; it's over-fueling of the cylinders to assure combustion during those very cold starts, and the consequence is fuel washing lube off the cyliders, increaseing piston/ring/cylinder wear.

Gone is the mentality of letting a car "warm up for 15 minutes". That's ol' skool thinking.

Here's today's reasonable approach:
- start it up
- let it run through it's "high idle" flair (which lights off the cats; typically 30-90 seconds)
- wait perhaps 15 to 30 seconds after the idle settles to normal
- double check your oil pressure gage or light; make sure the lube is at least indicating that it has pressure
- drive away in a safe, sane, normal manner
This way, the engine will warm up faster under load than sitting idling in the drive for 15 min.

There is a balance to be struck; drive as soon as you can, without undue stress on the engine.

There you have it.
During the winter lets not promote driving the vehicle with out suffcient defrost capabilities? While I would say with feul injected and proper multi viscosity oil long warm ups have been reduced to the defroster being able to provice a clear windshield

AFAIK, VW and Subaru are the only brands with heated cloth seats available… any others?

The cloth seat part is tricky. I’m not sure why auto manufacturers don’t install heated seats in all upholstery options. I sense that heated and ventilated seats are becoming more mainstream rather than a higher end option.

It was a necessity with carburetors and straight 30 but those days are way gone.

Soccer moms across the country are just getting in, cranking it, immediately clunking it into gear, and punching it. The only people who let it warm up that long (unless it’s freezing and the ice on windows need to thaw) are just being neurotic.

Say's Tex.... Little different is some colder environments. Avg temp in Jan in TX is 59 with avg cold temp of 36. When temps hit the 20's or under (-10F coldest at my home) I do let it warm up for about 2 minutes before driving with low RPM until warmer. And it's not just your oil you have trans/CVT fluid to warm up a bit as well.

Don't know about others, but mine when the remote start is active and you try to open the door without the fob close it shuts off.
No modern remote-start system allows someone else to just get in and drive away, whether it's aftermarket or factory. And when I say "modern", I'm referring to anything going back ~20 years.

Factory-equipped remote start systems have runtime options up to 15-20 minutes. They even allow you to extend the runtime.

Say's Tex.... Little different is some colder environments. Avg temp in Jan in TX is 59 with avg cold temp of 36. When temps hit the 20's or under (-10F coldest at my home) I do let it warm up for about 2 minutes before driving with low RPM until warmer. And it's not just your oil you have trans/CVT fluid to warm up a bit as well.
On this type of topic and this one only, anyone from southern parts of the US simply don't know and their "experience" can't be taken seriously.

My wife and I get in and go. My neighbors like to warm up. I see their cars idling away on cold mornings.

On this type of topic and this one only, anyone from southern parts of the US simply don't know and their "experience" can't be taken seriously.

To an extent for sure but he likely could light the way concerning high ambient temp operation. I have a friend in Burelson TX who routinely sends me summer temp screen shots HOT!

Back