Engine Oil temp. 219 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

FYI: Coolant temps should be below oil temps in most cases.

200F coolant / 230F Oil - typical in a C5 vette

weird, it's flip-flopped for my Hondas (Civic & Odyssey):

engine oil operating temp 176F
coolant operating temp 190F
*numbers provided by OEM Honda service manuals for both Civic & Ody.

Specs verified on my Civic via scangauge (coolant temp) and IR thermometer readings on the oil pan.

dunno.gif

Oil is usually hotter than the coolant because it has no radiator... Your Honda might have such a small engine though and perhaps aluminum pan that it keeps the oil pretty cool? 176 is a little low for oil but you measured pan temperature not deep sump temperature with a probe in the oil. Could be innacurate?

I'd say if we are actually talking about water temperature, 219F is not something I'd want going on all the time. That high of a temperature is what you'd call a spike, and that you'd want it to drop down about 25 degrees as soon as you catch some air going down the road.

We need the OP to swing by here and tell us for absolute certain whether or not he's talking about oil temperature, and not water temperature.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Specs verified on my Civic via scangauge (coolant temp) and IR thermometer readings on the oil pan.

dunno.gif

Oil is usually hotter than the coolant because it has no radiator... Your Honda might have such a small engine though and perhaps aluminum pan that it keeps the oil pretty cool? 176 is a little low for oil but you measured pan temperature not deep sump temperature with a probe in the oil. Could be innacurate?

My Civic is a DX/value package, and has a 1.7L I-4 with steel oil pan (the Si model has an aluminum pan). I thought my IR thermometer readings were off until I saw the operating spec listed in the service manual and they were within a few degrees (note that my commuting is primarily highway against minimal traffic which may aid in keeping things cool).

I'm hoping Ron @ scangauge can crack Honda's PID and be able to snag the oil operating temp from the OBD-II; otherwise I'll install an oil temp sensor.

Quote:

Quote:

dunno.gif

My f150 with the 5.4l reads the same as yours. I put in some autometer gauges and my coolant sits between 180-190 and the oil is about 170-180. The oil my be slightly off due to the fact I put the sender unit at the bottom of the oil pan.....air flow could be causing the cooler temps.

My oil temps typically peak about 215 degress on my LT1 with a 160 T-stat. Water temp usually 174 degrees. Oil may be hotter, but it's measured at the filter adapter, same on LT1 vettes

In hot weather my C6 vette normally sees 220-232 F after >40 minutes of driving.

My vehicles (Volvo P1800, Saab 1986, Subaru 2000) the oil tempeture in the sump was ~ 15-25 F. higher than coolant temp. This when car was driven at 60-70 mph on cruise.

Lets see. . . it's September the 11th today, and this thread was started on September the 3rd; why hasn't the OP answered back yet? I wanted to know if this is indeed the oil temperature we're talking about.

When you start a thread, don't just start it and never return; some people that want to help can't do so unless the OP answers the necessary questions.

Quote:

Lets see. . . it's September the 11th today, and this thread was started on September the 3rd; why hasn't the OP answered back yet? I wanted to know if this is indeed the oil temperature we're talking about.

When you start a thread, don't just start it and never return; some people that want to help can't do so unless the OP answers the necessary questions.

Yea, that ticks me off as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back