Engine Oil for my 1988 Toyota truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Super Tech Synthetic 10W30.

430,000 miles on a purchased new 1988 22RE here.
Nice truck.
Do not plus size your tires too much.

Congrats on 430k. That's awesome.

Originally Posted by Yota88
I'm new here guys but I just wanted to get some peoples opinions on different engine oil. I have a 1988 Toyota pick up xtra cab with about 128xxx. In the engine, tranny, diff and transfer I have amsoil. I'm just seeing what other people might recommend or just get some opinions on other good oils to try. I wanted to try wix xp for my next oil filter change. Anyone use those? I'm almost done with my year in korea so when I get back to the states it's due for a tune up. Wanted to change the brake fluid, power steering fluid, new battery, oil change/oil filter, change front shocks. Anything else y'all recommend?

[censored], that truck is CLEAN for a 1988. Around here, anything of that vintage would have rust holes big enough to crawl through if it was still on the road.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Super Tech Synthetic 10W30.

430,000 miles on a purchased new 1988 22RE here.
Nice truck.
Do not plus size your tires too much.

Congrats on 430k. That's awesome.

Thank you.
Toyota used plenty of nickel in the block.
They also made the timing chain guides out of plastic !
OP beware as you approach 200,000 miles or sooner.
If you hear any rattling noise at the front of the engine, investigate.
Head gasket.
Radiator leakage.
That's about it.

A non-ILSAC 10w-30 is what I would run. ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4. If you're worried about flat tappets move up to 10w-40, they are allowed more ZDDP than the 20a and 30s

M1 HM 10w-30 is an A3/B3 available at Walmart in 5qt jugs

Since you are running Amsoil fluids, I would run one of the Amsoil EA oil filters. They have great filtering efficiency and have pretty rugged construction.
For the oil, Amsoil has 3 products that all offer good engine protection for varying oil change intervals. OE, XL, and Signature Series.
I prefer Signature, since it is the best protection, I do run the OE in my grandmothers car and change once a year since she only puts 2-3000 miles on it per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back