Engine oil for 2022 AUDI Q3

Good Afternoon,

My wife got her 2022 Audi Q3 - S-line Prem on August, 2021, she drove around 4000 miles, and I am thinking change engine oil, but Audi oil is kind expansive, wonder anyone change their own oil has any suggestion? the only information in user guide is VM Standard, SAE 0W-20/VW 508 00, can Mobile 1 or Castrol oil be the replacement for Audi brand?

Thanks

Frank

Just search 508 spec on Amazon
Valvoline European etc

Screenshot_20211204-200337.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
508 spec has a special dye for identification. 508 is a very special spec according to its performance on the Lubrizol spider graph. If you don't use 508 oil you will be voiding your engine warranty.
No you won’t unless the oil you use damages the engine. Nowhere in the owners manual nor the warranty book does it say that a blanket deviation from 508 00 is an automatic violation of the warranty.

The dye in the oil is to help prevent using the oil in an engine that does not specify the 508 00 approval, not the other way around since an oil with an inadequate HT/HS may indeed damage an engine. This is the only fact we actually have from VW that they’ve stated 508 00 approval is not back-specified to any engine that does not list it as an acceptable approval.

On the two free oil changes for my new Tiguan I asked the dealer to use 504 00 oil instead of 508 00 and they said yes with no questions asked. 504 00 approved oil is just as “special” as 508 00 but with a higher HT/HS, this will help to protect the engine not damage it. No engine is damaged by an oil with a higher HT/HS and VW 504 00 oil has all the other protective attributes as 508 00 besides the grade.

Buying a new Audi then being concerned about the price of oil seems a little peculiar to me. You'll spend more on a couple tanks of gas than oil you'll run for thousands of miles. But VW 508 oil is readily available and not that expensive, most VW dealers sell it for 7 bucks a quart ( you may need to buy on line then pick up to get that kind of price). VW 508 is also easy to find on line elsewhere, and Napa will have it as well if you are an over the counter kind of guy.

FCP Euro and ECS tuning have kits that include everything and will save you running around, the components are usually top quality and it comes to your door.

My wife has a 2021 Q3. I used the Audi/VW oil as I couldn't find a 508 approved oil that made for a large enough savings over the OEM. I ordered mine online from FCP. I never play around with engine oil during a warranty period. Not worth it for the few dollars you'll save on an oil change.

Don

My wife got her 2022 Audi Q3 - S-line Prem on August, 2021, she drove around 4000 miles, and I am thinking change engine oil, but Audi oil is kind expansive, wonder anyone change their own oil has any suggestion? the only information in user guide is VM Standard, SAE 0W-20/VW 508 00, can Mobile 1 or Castrol oil be the replacement for Audi brand?

Congrats to your wife, very nice car, Frank. (y)

Any VW 508 00 approved oil is an appropriate replacement. That's what
approvals are for. See this list that is growing almost monthly:

M1 ESP x2 0W-20 is excellent and the 0W-20 sold in Audi branded bottles
might even be the same stuff. Another recommendation is Ravenol VSE
0W-20, but it's probably more expensive.
Personally I'd seriously consider running VW 504 00 5W-30 if the manual
allows for it. In case of my GTI both VW 508 00 and 504 00 are permitted
(and even VW 502 00). I never even tried 0W-20 for the reasons kschachn
mentioned. The higher HTHS VW 504 00 provides more of a safety margin
if it matters to you.
On a side note: I'd change the oil right now if it's the very first one. The 1st
OC matters most, that's why I do them early. After this 7,500 to 10,000 mile
OCIs are fine under most (moderate) conditions.

Good Evening,

I am happy to report to everyone, I actually went to VW dealer to get the following items:

Engine Oil Filter Element
Product ID: 06L-115-562-B (on the need 6 qrts)
on the filter, mann HU6013, Audi 06L115466C (this is old part #)

Drain Plug
Product ID: 06L-103-801

Engine Oil
Product ID: G-E60-020-1Q-DSP

Go to local VW dealer to order, price is about $60, the cheapest , also I documented the how to change 2022 audi q3 oil to share with DIY folks. I am new to the video editing. please leave comments.

Thanks

Frank

The dealership should have or at least be able to recommend the correct oil for your vehicle.

ETA: Just read the rest of the thread. Good deal, OP.

Its just amazing how many people still believe this type of story....
Well, then why do they put specs in the owners manual? If "engine oil" is adequate why not also use Dexron ATF in your Audi transmission. I do agree that the automaker would likely not void warranty in a well maintained engine as a clean engine doesn't raise flags, but automakers do have specs for reasons other than MPG / CAFE.

No you won’t unless the oil you use damages the engine. Nowhere in the owners manual nor the warranty book does it say that a blanket deviation from 508 00 is an automatic violation of the warranty.

The dye in the oil is to help prevent using the oil in an engine that does not specify the 508 00 approval, not the other way around since an oil with an inadequate HT/HS may indeed damage an engine. This is the only fact we actually have from VW that they’ve stated 508 00 approval is not back-specified to any engine that does not list it as an acceptable approval.

On the two free oil changes for my new Tiguan I asked the dealer to use 504 00 oil instead of 508 00 and they said yes with no questions asked. 504 00 approved oil is just as “special” as 508 00 but with a higher HT/HS, this will help to protect the engine not damage it. No engine is damaged by an oil with a higher HT/HS and VW 504 00 oil has all the other protective attributes as 508 00 besides the grade.
All other protective attributes as 508.00? How can we know unless testing is done to confirm?

Congrats to your wife, very nice car, Frank. (y)

Any VW 508 00 approved oil is an appropriate replacement. That's what
approvals are for. See this list that is growing almost monthly:

M1 ESP x2 0W-20 is excellent and the 0W-20 sold in Audi branded bottles
might even be the same stuff. Another recommendation is Ravenol VSE
0W-20, but it's probably more expensive.
Personally I'd seriously consider running VW 504 00 5W-30 if the manual
allows for it. In case of my GTI both VW 508 00 and 504 00 are permitted
(and even VW 502 00). I never even tried 0W-20 for the reasons kschachn
mentioned. The higher HTHS VW 504 00 provides more of a safety margin
if it matters to you.
On a side note: I'd change the oil right now if it's the very first one. The 1st
OC matters most, that's why I do them early. After this 7,500 to 10,000 mile
OCIs are fine under most (moderate) conditions.
I am very curious where in the manual it says you can use 508, 504 and 502. Every vehicle that I've seen that specs 508 has that spec as the only option. Also, I thought VW didn't have 508 as a spec until 2019.

Love how the oil fill is only accessed after removing engine cover. Audi was like nope people don't do this.....let's cover it up. :ROFLMAO:

All other protective attributes as 508.00? How can we know unless testing is done to confirm?
The tests are what comprise the requirements for the VW approval and the ACEA sequences the oils also hold. Per the Afton Specification Handbook and other sources you can see the requirements and properties, that’s whole point of approvals and specifications. “We” don’t have to do any further testing.

A large part of “protective properties” is the HT/HS which is better with 504 00 than 508 00. Oxidation resistance and deposit control is equivalent. There is nothing missing from a 504 00 oil in terms of “protective properties” whatsoever. It is better. You’re barking up the wrong tree on that one. The only claim you can make for 508 00 is a very small improvement in fuel economy which I’m gladly willing to trade.

Last edited:
Good Evening,

I am happy to report to everyone, I actually went to VW dealer to get the following items:

Engine Oil Filter Element
Product ID: 06L-115-562-B (on the need 6 qrts)
on the filter, mann HU6013, Audi 06L115466C (this is old part #)

Drain Plug
Product ID: 06L-103-801

Engine Oil
Product ID: G-E60-020-1Q-DSP

Go to local VW dealer to order, price is about $60, the cheapest , also I documented the how to change 2022 audi q3 oil to share with DIY folks. I am new to the video editing. please leave comments.

Thanks

Frank

That's very good for a first video sir. I was surprised to see an oil dipstick, I thought Audi only had the electronic dash oil level gauge, or is that a Q3 thing?

Back