Oil choice for 2007 Audi A8 4.2 FSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to change the oil in my 07 Audi A8 4.2 FSI. Car has 70K on it and I'm aware that it calls for oil with the VW 502...I was going to use Castrol Edge, but should I use 5w-40 or 0w-40? Both meet the standard but being in CT and winter coming is there any advantage of going with the 0w-40? What would be the best oil to use for this engine, I plan on keeping this car for a while. Thanks for all the help.

From everything I've read here, the 0W-40 is the better oil if you really want to use Castrol.
Both grades are priced the same.
Some Walmarts stock the 0W-40 just as they stock M1 0W-40.

Mobil 1 0w40 is a proven performer. Unless the Castrol is Euro sourced and its known to be the same as the stuff sold in Europe i prefer the Mobil.
In Germany i use Castrol almost exclusively but in the US not on my list, its sketchy stuff when a company just puts OK on a data sheet instead of an actual value.

Originally Posted By: Mike141
I was going to use Castrol Edge, but should I use 5w-40 or 0w-40?

Between the two, the 0w-40 is the better oil. Use it with confidence in your A8.

Nice car, by the way!

Any issues with valve deposits in your FSI?

No issues with valve deposits AFAIK, I only put about 2500 on this car so far and it's been great. Just wanted to put some good oil in it because not sure what it has it in now. Also I am a little sketchy about waiting 10K miles between changes as Audi recommends. My last A8 I never let it go past 7500. Got a good deal on this Castrol 0w-40 from Walmart: $17 for a 5qt jug after coupon! So I'll go with that this time, but It doesn't bother me to pay money for good oil because it's so important for your engine. So if you guys know of any others that would do better in my engine, let me know. Is the Castrol in the gold bottle much better than the black Edge stuff?

Originally Posted By: Mike141
Is the Castrol in the gold bottle much better than the black Edge stuff?

"Better" depends on the application. Color of the bottle does not determine quality.

Based on my applications, the black Edge 0w-40 is actually better than any of the gold stuff because the black Edge 0w-40 meets some of the most stringent long life engine manufacturer specs in existence today. None of the gold grades meet them.

Mike, I think you would be served well with Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol Edge 0w40. Both are top-tier oils that are approved by VAG for your motor. You can get whichever is cheapest.

The Edge 5w40 is a very unremarkable oil, from what we've seen here. Yes, it will work, but for the same money you can do better.

Alternatively you could look for Valvoline SynPower 5w40. It's also VAG approved.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Mobil 1 0w40 is a proven performer. Unless the Castrol is Euro sourced and its known to be the same as the stuff sold in Europe i prefer the Mobil.
In Germany i use Castrol almost exclusively but in the US not on my list, its sketchy stuff when a company just puts OK on a data sheet instead of an actual value.

I second that. If gas in the U.S. met the same standards are the EU, I would suggest 507.00 and specifically Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30, but given your situation I think Mobil 1 0W-40 will easily meet the spec and has the advantage of being widely available.

Originally Posted By: Trav

The 0W-40 is made in Germany
laugh.gif

I'd go Mobil 1 0W-40 while it's on "rollback" at Wally...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back