Engine Noise And Oil Brand

Is their truth to engine noise and what brand of oil you put in your car? My last oil change I use Napa synthetic 0w20 oil and my engine was noisier. Just changed the oil a few days ago with Penzoil Platinum same viscosity and the noise is gone. Maybe it’s additives in the oil?

I have never noticed between brands so much.
However, I have noticed between grades, using 5W20 instead of a 5W30.

A pretty popular topic here on Bitog. Perhaps some of these existing threads will help, there was a recent long thread on this very topic. Perhaps it's in the list:

A pretty popular topic here on Bitog. Perhaps some of these existing threads will help, there was a recent long thread on this very topic. Perhaps it's in the list:

Just to give you more lead time - next week = buttery smooth 🍽️

My favorite type of thread. Brings out a bunch of people who are sure of something they've never even measured.
Have you not diagnosed a problem with your vehicle by sound? Wheel bearings come to mind. That slight hum when turning that will be grinding/growling in a few weeks. Alternator bearings, water pump bearings, loose heat shields etc. Do you need a temperature gauge to tell you your A/C needs service? I guess some people aren’t in tune with their senses/vehicles.

Last edited:
My engine is nice and quiet with Royal Purple 5w-30 pcmo. was noticeably louder with Mobil 1 when i first bought it with 4600 miles on it,maybe there is something to this subject,also used Havoline pro-ds and was quiet.have experence working around other machinery all my life,engines,bearings etc,same cartridge filter is used,

My favorite type of thread. Brings out a bunch of people who are sure of something they've never even measured.

Not many people own a spectrum analyzer. You're not going to measure this on a simple db meter like on an iphone, because it's not the overall amplitude that changes, its a tone that changes.

So you can play a flute and a trumpet and record the same db, but those are two totally different tones/frequency which simple recording devices cannot decipher between.

Same thing with "ticks" and "knocks" which are usually what is being discussed with engine oil sounds. The overall sound measured in db is overpowering the tick/knock but that sound is still a frequency that can be picked out and isolated by our ears.

Mobil supplies base stock to over two dozen blenders. They make so many different formulas of their own that members here complain …
They are co owners of an additive company that others use - and they buy additional additives from the same companies that all the others do.
It must be the decal 🤔

Back