Engine flush 61,000 miles result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, we all adopted a new spelling, but do we really need to talk that much about all these things nucular? If I needed to talk that much about CAFE I would have issues I guess.

When its all sock puppets from the same troll, yes because it helps with continuity

As posted in the oil change thread. I'm a believer in engine flushing at regular intervals, keeps the sludge away and frees up carbon deposits. May even clean the PCV system. Used only 1/2 the quart bottle to top off dipstick, idled for 15 minutes, drained hot. With the 15W40 the oil pressure gauge is noticably higher at idle, just below 50 indicated.
Also removed and cleaned the throttle body, added Techton to fuel tank.
2012 CTS 3.0 61,000 miles
Tip: spray clean, dry, then grease the oil canister threads, oil fill cap, and drain plug.

View attachment 23519

View attachment 23520
I know this thread started a while back. I won't comment here about the pros and cons of an idle flush. What I will mention is the sequence leading up to the oil change. "I" would have added the FI cleaner, then after running the tank down and refilling it, remove and clean the throttle body, run another tank of gas through it and filled up. Then added the flush followed the directions, and changed the oil and filter. I would not want any residule crap from the throttle body/FI cleaner that made its way into the sump to mix in with fresh oil. Opinions vary, that's mine. ;)

I know this thread started a while back. I won't comment here about the pros and cons of an idle flush. What I will mention is the sequence leading up to the oil change. "I" would have added the FI cleaner, then after running the tank down and refilling it, remove and clean the throttle body, run another tank of gas through it and filled up. Then added the flush followed the directions, and changed the oil and filter. I would not want any residule crap from the throttle body/FI cleaner that made its way into the sump to mix in with fresh oil. Opinions vary, that's mine. ;)
This is similar to my routine as of late - each oil change (5-7.5K or so) run a can of Liquimoly FI cleaner through it and run that tank to near-empty the week before my oil change then do the Liquimoly flush then change the oil obviously immediately after.

Whatever this means? Forthcoming proof?

Ollie/Imsa, ⬛

It will come in the form of future oil changes that are clean. That will further strengthen my already fact based outcome of removing the dirty oil and deposits and having a better running engine as an added bonus. I figure all the engines I pulled apart in the past is proof enough that flushes actually work. It seems that the OP, myself, and I imagine few forum members have done the effort to actually look before and after. Most everyone else is simply making empty arguments against something they are not willing to research by turning wrenches.

My question is...why not use one of the products available off the shelf like the Liquimoly Proline Engine Flush, Amsoil, etc. vs. ATF?

There is no reason not to. A few of the reasons I used the Motor Medic was it's very quick and efficient. I have every reason to believe Liquimoly will work just as good. And with patience of waiting a full oil change cycle ATF is a tried and true way to flush dirty deposits and or sludge.

Motor Medic is readily available at almost any auto parts store. Pro Line engine flush is a little harder to come by locally. This is the first time using Motor Medic and it gets a gold star for its efficiency.

You were a material handler for that long?

Actually longer. I started doing it full time in 2002.

There are pics of engines on this site that have been open up that look like you could eat off them with 200k+
mile on them with 4-5k oci

Very true and as I stated myself not all engines are going to require a flush to keep them clean. It seems there are some that are of the belief flushes do not work at all.

It will come in the form of future oil changes that are clean. That will further strengthen my already fact based outcome of removing the dirty oil and deposits and having a better running engine as an added bonus. I figure all the engines I pulled apart in the past is proof enough that flushes actually work. It seems that the OP, myself, and I imagine few forum members have done the effort to actually look before and after. Most everyone else is simply making empty arguments against something they are not willing to research by turning wrenches.
I bet I've turned a lot more wrenches than you have, my five cars (and the two I also take care of) have well over a million and a half miles combined. They didn't get there by themselves.

And you're delusional if you think the technical facts posted on this thread are "simply making empty arguments against something they are not willing to research". The only actual empty arguments that are being made by someone who has no clue is you.

Why would you make a statement like that without knowing my background? And name calling is uncalled for. I would kindly ask you to please refrain using the forum as a platform for personal attacks and making assumptions about someone you know nothing about. You can disagree all you like. The cyber bullying I can do without.

That actually wasn't personal at all, it was simply an observation of fact. In this thread there have been numerous individuals that have given clear and concise information to address the statements you've made, but then at the end of it all you state "Most everyone else is simply making empty arguments against something they are not willing to research by turning wrenches".

That response is not rational, hence my use of the word delusional. You wish to stubbornly believe your unfounded statements are correct in the face of overwhelming evidence they are not.

Last edited:
Just as there are individuals such as myself who can refute statements made by others that may disagree with my honest assessment. Calling a member of the forum delusional and stating it as an "observation of fact" is a horrible way to respond to a post. It is very childish in nature and I'm actually surprised that a moderator has not stepped in to remove it. It has no value to the conversation of oil flushes.

I bet I've turned a lot more wrenches than you have, my five cars (and the two I also take care of) have well over a million and a half miles combined. They didn't get there by themselves.

And you're delusional if you think the technical facts posted on this thread are "simply making empty arguments against something they are not willing to research". The only actual empty arguments that are being made by someone who has no clue is you.

Also, proof is not something that can be forecasted. It has to be on the table and it should be discerned.

You wish to stubbornly believe your unfounded statements are correct in the face of overwhelming evidence opinions they are not.
FTFY

However some people have it wrong. You do NOT want to flush a neglected engine. That is when you'd get big deposits breaking free that can potentially cause clogs. Instead you should only regularly flush a well maintained engine, if you are the OCD type with too much time on your hands, though it is a bit of a waste of money to buy the overpriced "flush" products when you can just flush it with the prescribed amount of new oil. ;)

Yeah I get kind of lost on the notion of flushing a “well maintained engine”.

And let's not forget the name calling, lack of apology, and no response to a PM I sent you.
FTFY

However some people have it wrong. You do NOT want to flush a neglected engine. That is when you'd get big deposits breaking free that can potentially cause clogs. Instead you should only regularly flush a well maintained engine, if you are the OCD type with too much time on your hands, though it is a bit of a waste of money to buy the overpriced "flush" products when you can just flush it with the prescribed amount of new oil. ;)

I figure for 10 bucks to clean up the internals, cleaner oil at change intervals, and have a smoother running motor it's worth it. Flushes have worked on many of my motors in the past. I have no reason to think this engine will be any different. I'm on the injured list so it will be a while before my next oil change and see the actual results on this particular motor. I'm pretty confident it will be like all the other flushes I have done in the past.

Now my wife's and mother in laws Lexus's are a whole different deal. Both are well over 100,000 miles and the oil changes are alway clean at each oil change interval. Even at 3,000 miles It's hard to see the oil on the dipstick. When I recently did the valve covers on my wife's Lexus, not only were the internals spotless, all the valves were well within specification!! This is a testimony to the quality of Toyota.

Id like to hear the manufacturers of flushes come on here and discuss why it makes more sense to use one than a series of OCI/FCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back