Engine done for? Some hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was some kind of additive, and there was not much captured in the oil filter then what was in the drained oil must have been heavy enough to settle to the bottom of the oil pan. If it's the bearings going bad, then I'd suspect you would continue to see bearing particles captured in the oil filter even after a few short oil changes. I'd do a few short oil changes with some inexpensive oil of the correct viscosity, and use a new filter every change and inspect the drain pan and filter at each oil change to see if this continues or goes away.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Can you pull the oil pan and take a looksee or have someone else do it for you?

I would be surprised if the pan itself is easy to remove. This is a Audi A4 with a V8 in it if I am not mistaken. It is the Audi Version of an M-Car or AMG. In fact being an RS4 one might argue it is an AMG Black or M Club Sport.

It does however appear to have a lower pan which looking at some oil change DIY seems to be fairly accessible and removable. How much internal engine you can see is another thing, but I might at least facilitate cleaning.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_RS4--V8/Engine/Mechanical/Oil_Pan/

I still don't think this is engine damage, I believe it is either an additive or something used during the cooler line replacement...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder

If it is in fact radiator sealant, the carrier is water soluble and it might just sit in the presence of oil. If you were so inclined you could test it by putting some of the bars leak in a jar with oil.

If it was indeed radiator sealant, the damage might have been done already - not so much the Cu/Al/Sn particles in it which would be trapped by the oil filter. Some of those stop leaks have a good amount of sodium silicate in them - the same stuff used in Cash for Clunkers 10 years ago to kill engines. Glycol is also bad for main and rod bearings as well.

A UOA can pick up on higher than usual levels of K/Na/Si/P that can be traced to cooling system leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back