Engine damage from running low on oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: llmercll
Hi everyone,

My car is a 2001 Honda Civic HX, 5-speed transmission.

I had my oil changed 6 months ago at a shop and just did it again myself today. Unfortunately, when I drained the oil I noticed there wasn't much in there, and it was very black; I estimate there was no more than 1 1/2-2 quarts in an engine that calls for 3.7.

I realize I messed up bad by not checking my oil levels and topping off accordingly, but I'm wondering what the probability of there being engine damage is, and whether or not there's anything I can do to help. The oil light never came on, and I don't hear any unusual noises. I put my mechanic's stethoscope to each cylinder and they seem fine, and the engine has no blowback. Should I run some seafoam through it? Maybe change the oil again at only 500 miles or so?

I would really appreciate some thoughts and ideas regarding my situation. And yes, never again will I neglect checking my oil levels
33.gif

By the time the light comes on, it's too late if you're going at highway speed. It's NOT an "ahhhh check your oil sometime" light.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Oh no,not a Purolator filter!!
If you didn't hear strange noises before,you will now!

Dude! I can hear them noises from here! OMG!!!

57.gif
48.gif
29.gif
28.gif
15.gif
16.gif
11.gif

Someone today with a really late model Subaru Forester had to put....3 quarts of oil in it!! Tell me that doesn't cause damage and accelerate the oil consumption and eventual engine failure!

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
If running an engine with less than 1/2 the recommended oil fill for an unknown amount of time truly causes no damage then this site really is full of OCD fanatical crazies. Including me.
crazy.gif

Exactly what "damage" should we expect.

As long as the oil pump doesn't cavitate and the TBN is ok there shouldn't be any problems at all.
Yes with less oil circulating the tbn will deplete faster however as long as it's not completely depleted the oil is fine.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If running an engine with less than 1/2 the recommended oil fill for an unknown amount of time truly causes no damage then this site really is full of OCD fanatical crazies. Including me.
crazy.gif

Rusty dipstick? If the oil light is triggered by low oil pressure maybe it should be called the damaged engine light.

Originally Posted By: llmercll
I'm using the Purolator ONE, I read it's one of the best oil filters lol

yes.. they were...and they might still be if you get one that the Media doesn't tear/isn't torn already...

if you search around on here, you'll see some documented defects across the Purolator line in the last couple years...

Originally Posted By: Clevy
crazy.gif

As long as the oil pump doesn't cavitate and the TBN is ok there shouldn't be any problems at all.
Yes with less oil circulating the tbn will deplete faster however as long as it's not completely depleted the oil is fine.

Less oil means hotter oil which means thinner oil. It is possible that with that much of a reduction in sump volume (assuming we don't suck air) that the viscosity of the lubricant may get low enough to cause damage.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Bimmers owner will be so screwed then.

No dipstick and check oil when it is too late
grin2.gif

My bimmer tells me when I'm down 1L
wink.gif

The new ones with the electronic level gauge I believe do the same thing.

Well, I think it's knocking. It's incredibly faint, but present around 1.5k rpm. I think I've had it for awhile though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back