MK7 VW GTI Camshaft Scoring?

I know of a 120K mile CRV that needed a timing set, and everyone always says the newer engines last longer than the older 60's models did? :ROFLMAO: :unsure:

Chances are, your 120k mile CR-V probably had the oil changed every 7500 to 10k miles, while your 60's whatever had its oil changed every 3k miles, and probably didn't come with a chain tensioner, AND probably had 1/5 as many links in its chain.

The timing chain and timing chain cover service and resealing the valve cover was done at 115k, about 5k before the noise started. The most recent oil change and dsg/differential service was done about a month before the noise developed at near 120k.

If there were excess sealant and part of one of the oil screens that broke off and caused this, where would the material have landed? Is it going to continue to cause problems?

The timing chain and timing chain cover service and resealing the valve cover was done at 115k, about 5k before the noise started. The most recent oil change and dsg/differential service was done about a month before the noise developed at near 120k.

If there were excess sealant and part of one of the oil screens that broke off and caused this, where would the material have landed? Is it going to continue to cause problems?
Did they use RTV or anaerobic?

It is my understanding that some light scoring on the cam girdle cover isn't exactly uncommon on these engines.

My guess is that either the screen on the cam bridge caused the cam failure (some guys remove them, period, for this reason) or too much sealant was used and it starved the cam of oil.
We do tons of gen 1/gen 2 TSI’s for upper reseals/chains and it’s not abnormal to see cam wear, especially on cars going 10k+ OCIs, it’s funny though cause the valve trains are always spotless. The cam covers don’t seem to leak that often on the gen 3s so it’s just timing chain/timing cover replacement/reseal so I can’t comment on a ton on the wear on those particular engines.

Back