Engine break-in on synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for opinions on how soon to switch over to synthetic oil in a new engine. The engine in question is a 05 Toyota 4.0 V6 or any engine for that matter. Mobil and Pennzoil state you can use their synthetic from the get-go without issue. Anyone ever experienced an oil consumption issue down the road that could be linked to using synthetic during break-in?

Switch at 1500 and again at 5000 or 3-4 months. You can then do the regular 6 months/6000 mile interval.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 13600
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 10w30 ODO 94100
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

If I were to buy a new car right now which didn't have synthetic as it's factory fill, I would run the factory fill to 3000 miles, then switch to synthetic at that point.

There are so many opinions about whether this is good or bad, I don't think anybody really knows. I know VW's come factory filled with synthetic and Honda's come with a special break in oil so I think every manufacturer is different. When there is a lot of confusion out there, I would recommend pursuing the safest route - follow your owner's manual.

Ihave switch my engines over at the first oil change or about 2,500 miles and never a problem. Sold my vehicles with over 150,000 miles running great (no leaks and very low oil consumption). Vehicles have included Volvo 4cyl/Saab turbo/Jeep 4.0L/and now my Subaru at 82,000 miles.

Yep, opinions do vary on this subject. I appreciate all comments. I'm looking at possibly switching over at 1500 but to play it safe I may run that out to 3000 miles. I have 6 quarts of Drive Clean 7500 that I'll probably give a 1500 to 2000 mile run just to see a UOA. That will put me over 3000 and ready to go with the synthetic. I'm keeping the first 3 OCI's on this engine fairly short. I dumped the factory fill at 345 and will run the Drive Clean 5000 out to about 1300. Thanks again for your comments.

The question is not "when" but more of "why".....
I have been caught up in these types of discussions before.....and I found the real question was why is the person going to synthetics versus dino to be the real question.
When can you switch to synthetics is easy. Day one. Mile one.
Now why are you switching. Extended OCI?....better additives? What are your expectations?
I wouldn't go with extended OCI on a new motor...without a couple of UOA (Used Oil Analysis)
secondly I would not go with a Extended OCI due the warranty issues of a new car. Other than that....I changed my 04 GTO over at 500 miles.....and for clarity sake....we pulled the motor and slapped new head/cams/intake...higher compression/more heat/higher rpm's....What is a warranty again:)?

[ February 20, 2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: sgtgeek ]

I change the oil and filter at 500 miles and install a magnetic filter at that time.

-

Then change the oil again at 1000 miles, and clean the magnet as below

-

Then at 3000 miles , I change to synth and continue normally from that point.

All valid comments and opinions presented here. The one thing that pushes me towards synthetic as opposed to a dino or a blend is deposit control. I feel it's just extra protection under severe conditions if encountered. And it may be a safer bet to go out to 4000-6000 miles before switching over. There is really nothing to loose by going this route. IMO

First off it does not matter when you put synthetic in! I hold off becuase I do freq. oil changes on a new engine and do not want to waste the synthetic. I do mine at aproximately 50,500,1500 on average. Then I do one 3000 mile oil change before going to the recomended oil change interval or close to it.

I would at least get the OEM stuff out around 600-1000 miles. I would then ramp up my oil change interval like 1500 the first time then 3000 then 5000 etc........ I would give it at least 3 oil changes prior to doing a UOA unless you just want to see how it is wearing in.

Most Toyota's do not produce dramtic breakin wear like most engines did 10 years ago. They do have elavated wear numbers but not like some engines. So I think your money would be wasted on UOA unless you are just really qurious!

The freq. oil changes probably are not needed as much today as they were 10 years ago but they are still a good idea. I would use a cheaper oil like Mobil Clean 5000 or 7500 for the first three oil changes. It is easier to cut an OCI short if the oil is not costing you a lot of green!

So to recap you can add the synthetic oil when ever you like. How often you are initialy going to be changeing the oil will dictate when you want to add it.

Definitely many opinions on the subject. Simply bc of the break-in metals alone I'm keeping dino or a blend in till around 7k or so. It doesn't matter when you switch anymore. For Redline it might, but not the others.

No not at all! If you are still on your oem fill, I would not go to any great lengths to change it (like in the old school times and ways) acting as if in the assembly process they used a new engine to get rid of all the debris sand and dirt in the shop!! It is just not the case!

The only issue I personally would have for a Toyota Camry V6 is just to make sure it is not a variant of the now infamous "sludge" monsters. NO oil, conventional or synthetic can function well if it has to lubricate areas in an engine that in effect cook (coke) the engine oil.

Today's conventional engine oils have truly come a very long way! However synthetics are slightly to much better, overall.

I have broken in 5 Toyota I6 motors, just changing to synthetic after the first recommended normal OCI with the factory fill. I have broken in a Corvette Z06 motor which comes with factory fill Mobil One 5w30 pao IV synthetic. I did revert to old school ways and did make the first oil change at 1600 miles. This OCI was a total waste of time and materials. The oil looked as if I had just poured it out from a fresh container and I did cut open the oil filter and it was virtually debris free. Since the 1600 mile oil change I run 15,000 mile OCI's.

I have broken in a new Honda Civic and will keep the factory fill in (Honda 5w20 made to Ford and Honda specifications by EM, whose same product is EM Superflo) till the normal recommended OCI of 10,000 miles. At that time I will go to Mobil One 0w20 and or the new 5w20.

I have put synthetic oil in my last car as soon as I got it home. I have changed several others at less than 1000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back